Recommendations Update For Restaurants Near Mai Jo

Gladiator

I have done a serach and many of the postings, I believe, are out of date.

I understand that Gypsy has moved on again - so that may not be an option.

Ideally, I am looking for a restaurant close to Mai Jo University that can offer either Western Food or both Western and Thai.

Any recommendations would be most helpful.

Many thanks.

Gladiator

Living near Mae Jo myself and constantly on the look out for any good food there is not much "Falang ahan" around. Give Heidelberg a try (0861963495) on the Mae Jo/Pharo Road (Route 101) not far before from the Mae Jo intersection if coming from CM town. It's a German place, which is not my fav cuisine, but I've had some decent meals there, the homemade sauerkraut is really good and the pork wiener schnitzel excellent and the portions are huge often enough for two. They also do a all-you-can-eat Sunday BBQ's which I've been meaning to try, not sure if every Sunday, when they have F1 and American Football (well they did before ASN was dropped, again not sure now) on the TV.

There was a really good restaurant in mae rim called mae rim ocha that moved to mae jo i have drove round several times looking for this place with no such luck but the thai guy that runs the bank in mae rim says he has been there and it's at the back of the university .

It was run by a thai chef and his wife serves you he has a picture up of himself in he's chef whites if anyone knows where this is please let me know as he made the best pad see eel ever.

Living near Mae Jo myself and constantly on the look out for any good food there is not much "Falang ahan" around. Give Heidelberg a try (0861963495) on the Mae Jo/Pharo Road (Route 101) not far before from the Mae Jo intersection if coming from CM town. It's a German place, which is not my fav cuisine, but I've had some decent meals there, the homemade sauerkraut is really good and the pork wiener schnitzel excellent and the portions are huge often enough for two. They also do a all-you-can-eat Sunday BBQ's which I've been meaning to try, not sure if every Sunday, when they have F1 and American Football (well they did before ASN was dropped, again not sure now) on the TV.

Heidelberg will close permanently on Oct 28 according to an email from the owner.

Sorry to advise a place on it's way out, I usually received his emails but not this time. Not sure if Gypsy is the same people or place. Anyways anybody know when the Pizza joint it open, i've been by quite a few times, my kids love pizza, and not only never seen it open, as have my friends who use to have a restaurant just down the street, and it doesn't really look like it ever is. Hoping I'm wrong. Rakchiangmai I'm on the mission to find the place you mention, I cycle all around there so I'll try to sniff it out.

So Gypsy has another Conflict going on ?

I think that would probably be an mistaken assumption. His email said the restaurant was moving to Wisconsin.

He has provided good food and service for which I thank him and wish him the best of luck.

I tried a place called " Take a zeat ' It is on the soi that has the night food area and just opposite the parking area. It is 138 baht, all you can eat and is open from 5.00 to 9.00 pm. There was a fair selection of food, including pork,chicken, fish and beef steak, salad, fresh prawns. I enjoyed the pork ribs myself. There were also french fries but like the other dishes they were sitting in unheated containers so were a bit cold and soggy. There was also a chicken carbonarra dish and sweets as well. I went about three weeks ago. The place is roomy and has aircon. Seems popular with the Uni students.

There's a very good Thai restaurant near the golf course, called "Rim Klong something." It is easy to find. It is on the way to the golf course. Follow the signs to the golf course off the road to San Sai. It is on the first hard left toward the course of a klong.