Have You Noticed The Supermarket Shelves?

khaan

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shopping in Makro yesterday and everything, including all types of beer, seemed very well stocked. No panic buying witnessed. Wifey asked the assistant manager if he expected to see any shortages and he laughed and said no, deliveries arriving normally. Called in for Petrol on the way home and again the question was asked. 'Just had a normal delivery this morning' was the reply, and not expecting any shortages as the distribution depot's for the North are well stocked.

Too much scaremongering going on on TV just because a certain shop has run out of something or a certain beer has run out in someones regular store.

not expecting any shortages as the distribution depot's for the North are well stocked.

That is good intel (and good news for us up North) thanks. Worth keeping an eye on though - the secondary effects of Bangkok flooding are being very underestimated by the authorities IMO and I would not rely on their assurances.

Needed gasoline (diesel) today, Iffy at the airport road was sold out, went to the Esso at Hangdong road, they could supply diesel but there the benzine 98 sold out, coïncidence?

Edited by Joop50

Was in Tesco Bo Sang today and tissue, moma [noodles] were out and a couple of people were buying cases of sardenes and limit of 6 for sugar.

Then went home and wife tells that she heard on news that they will be bringing in noodles, tissue, and women's napkins from Maylasia and that oil refineries were shut down.

Thank you Maylasia.

I do have the feeling that 'they' are downplaying a potientially long drawn out shortage of certain items.

How about you try visiting a supermarket (or, heck, a regular market) instead of a convenience store? Tesco Express is all over the place at the best of times.

You mean like Tops ?

I went there this morning and compared to my last visit the day I started this thread things are looking very bleak :ermm:

Shopping in Makro yesterday and everything, including all types of beer, seemed very well stocked. No panic buying witnessed. Wifey asked the assistant manager if he expected to see any shortages and he laughed and said no, deliveries arriving normally. Called in for Petrol on the way home and again the question was asked. 'Just had a normal delivery this morning' was the reply, and not expecting any shortages as the distribution depot's for the North are well stocked.

Too much scaremongering going on on TV just because a certain shop has run out of something or a certain beer has run out in someones regular store.

So just because the assistant manager told you this you accuse everyone of scaremongering. Get real!

How the hell would anassistant manager of a Chiang Mai -based store have a clue about the difficulties in manufacturing and production

when the majority of Bangkok's industrial estates are sitting in 1 m of water? has it ever occurred to you that the Makro warehouse

no matter how big it is will run out eventually if the food manufacturers can't do their stuff?

Edited by khaan

Yesterday I was at Tops KSK and the situation was bleak, especially for water, beer, soft drinks and dairy. Today Hubby went to Tops Airport and three Tesco Lotus Express and found the same bleak situation. I went to the Rim Ping Narawot and found it a happy refuge. Everything we needed was there, except for the diet soft drinks. Looks like they haven't had deliveries of soft drinks for several days.

I think the problem with Tops and Tesco Lotus is that they're run out of the Bangkok area, where the staff has all been given "holidays" to cope with the flooding and the management of those companies in Chiang Mai isn't able to act on their own to secure their own inventory. Rim Ping is headquartered here in the north and it sure doesn't look like anyone in management has been given holidays. In fact, they're probably working hard to get product on their shelves and working around supply chains that run thru Bangkok.

It's not scare-mongering to point out the obvious, and 500 baht per kilo fish that's airlifted into the north hardly qualifies as an ordinary, or even realistic food option for most people.

Just dropped by KSK Jeffers for a cheeseburger. No have. They have no buns, and don't know when they'll have any again. For a couple of days, they were buying off the shelf in the Tops next door, but that's come to an end.

Went on into Tops and it's looking more bombed out by the day. Entire aisles are empty now.

It's okay to love Chiang Mai and be proud of the North's "self-sufficiency," but the fact remains that almost everything in the supply stream that's designed to serve the Thai general population comes through Bangkok.

Bangkok has a problem, and Bangkok is like Mama: when she isn't happy, nobody's happy.

well the word must be out to the Thai's regarding the gasoline and diesel, the little Green Leaf station near me on the way to Mae fak hardly ever has more than 2 customer at a time and there is a queue out of the forecourt. My wife asked about the situation when I was filling the truck and she was told that they would run out of everything by the latest tomorrow afternoon. They have already run out of Gasohol 91.

There are a lot of Thais up here escaping the floods, I think that is partly to explain for gasoline shortage.

One friend even told me there are a lot of central residents up here enquiring about places to rent, she supposes where they can run some sort of business for the next few months while they dry out down there.

I think Chiang Mai is going to be quite popular the next couple of months.

Rimping seemed to have everything today.

If the worst comes to the worst we can survive from the garden for a few months. We will be consuming a lot of bananas and papayas!

Edited by cmsally

I'll start to worry if the noodle stalls and markets disappear.

And until then - I won't. Who cares if Mac & Cheese is out. Other places in the country they're up to their neck in the water! And if gas runs out it would be a major catastrophe. Which means it won't happen. Maybe there's a temporary issue with the supply chain due to flooded main highways. But there's plenty of ways around that. Maybe we'll have to import from Laos?

Oh yeah I am at Swampy right now, it's jam-packed and all flights to CM are sold out. So there's lots of Bangkokians coming, that's for sure.

Edited by nikster

Big C near Makro on Hang Dong Rd, was fairly well stocked up this evening.

The bulk packets of mama were mainly being bought by farang's. Could these be the real cheap charlies in person, or maybe the ones who refer to others as such and say they eat well themselves.......oh and leave big tips.wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Everyone who's feeling smug about not being affected by the flood should think about how all those fruits, meats and veggies get to their local Thai markets. If the vendors can't get fuel for their trucks, then the produce isn't coming into market, even if it's grown just 5 or 6 km distant from the market.

There will be a noticeable change over the next few days

It's already happened in Pattaya

http://www.thaivisa....ut-of-products/

And now with a four day holiday announced I have been told all flights to CM from Bangkok full and there are hordes of people from Bangkok coming here.

You just wait to see how well-stocked shops are by the weekend?:whistling:

Edited by khaan

If the vendors can't get fuel for their trucks, then the produce isn't coming into market, even if it's grown just 5 or 6 km distant from the market.

In that scenario, I'm sure we'd be seeing a lot of kwais on he road.

Edited by jackr

There will be a noticeable change over the next few days

It's already happened in Pattaya

http://www.thaivisa....ut-of-products/

And now with a four day holiday announced I have been told all flights to CM from Bangkok full and there are hordes of people from Bangkok coming here.

You just wait to see how well-stocked shops are by the weekend?:whistling:

Are you sure about that? I just got an email from Nok Air saying that all flights out of Don Mueang are cancelled for the next 7 days.

Everyone who's feeling smug about not being affected by the flood should think about how all those fruits, meats and veggies get to their local Thai markets. If the vendors can't get fuel for their trucks, then the produce isn't coming into market, even if it's grown just 5 or 6 km distant from the market.

The farmers will walk the stuff in by barrow if they have to and 5 or 6 km each way is nothing to those who work in the fields all day. We won't go hungry up here but Bangkok might be a different story.