Have You Noticed The Supermarket Shelves?

khaan

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winnie, thanks for reminding me, I do need to grab a new bag of coffee beans too.

Silly the back n forth going on here. Yes there will be some noticeable things going on as many have noted. But then as others point out - WTK, the voice of calm - it's hardly a breakdown of civilization as we know it. We're quite ok up here.

And a last word to the preachers with narrow minds: Mama is mama, fine. But what I do with it is what separates me from you. I cook 95% of my own meals, mama being a small part of that. I eat mama about 5x/wk. I keep a stirfry of vegetables in the fridge, along with a supply of Thai Yai style pakard dong (like at Khao Soi Islam). I also keep frozen sugar snap peas from Makro. I boil up the mama, fry an egg, grab my various vegetables, and build a Hero Mama. So....I understand vegetables and healthy eating, thanks. I earn my permission to buy mama even if you think you know/do better.

Everyone who's feeling smug about not being affected by the flood should think about how all those fruits, meats and veggies get to their local Thai markets. If the vendors can't get fuel for their trucks, then the produce isn't coming into market, even if it's grown just 5 or 6 km distant from the market.

I thought you knew Thailand better than that with all you responses to things, Thai's will get there produce to the market even if it means walking. Its not like the UK and the US where people just give up after any little difficulty.

Everyone who's feeling smug about not being affected by the flood should think about how all those fruits, meats and veggies get to their local Thai markets. If the vendors can't get fuel for their trucks, then the produce isn't coming into market, even if it's grown just 5 or 6 km distant from the market.

You know with the Financial Crisis in the West these last few years... I have always thought that no matter how it goes in the East at least they have food.

Yet watching a Natural disaster like this one...which by all means is really not that big...Yet look at the effect.

Does make me wonder a bit...After all Thailand is not really all that big land area wise...yet has 70 million people.

BK has 7 million alone if I remember right.

So while I still think Thailand does well food wise...Seeing a small natural disaster unfold in BK & its effects I kind of wonder

now.

Edited by flying

It can't be that bad.... someone is reported to have said that the US military said it wasn't that bad and that's why the US Navy ships that came to help left.

I also have heard there is a bridge for sale in Arizona.

MSPain

Here and Bangkok? Are busses and airplanes still running?

Apparently not out of Don Mueang. They are flooded. All flights in and out cancelled for 7 days. I imagine status quo to/from Suvarnabhumi. Here is the text from the email I received from Nok Air:

Dear valued passenger

Nok Air announces to cancel all flights operated from and to Don Mueang Airport during 25 – 31 October 2011 (12:00 pm. of October 2011 onwards) due to a flood crisis in Bangkok area.

All passengers traveling during that period will receive SMS via mobile phone about flight cancellation and traveling date will be opened automatically for 1 month which Nok Air staffs will contact them soon for more information or change traveling date free of charge or refund ticket fee if their flight is canceled due to airport closed. Passengers have no need to call Nok Air for their convenience.

For flights that already flew from other airports will be diverted to Suvarnabhumi Airport instead.

Edited by elektrified

Just to add...I went to a 7-11 in Sansai late last night. Plenty of everything available (including water, beer, and instant noodles). The only thing I noticed that was not available was their frozen microwavable foods. Freezer cases were completely empty with a sign on them.

Just to add...I went to a 7-11 in Sansai late last night. Plenty of everything available (including water, beer, and instant noodles). The only thing I noticed that was not available was their frozen microwavable foods. Freezer cases were completely empty with a sign on them.

This is the same as the 7-11 at Thapae Gate and clerk said no problems with most items.

Too much scaremongering going on on TV just because a certain shop has run out of something or a certain beer has run out in someones regular store.

+1

Yes indeed. We only want happy news here. Any member posting news that might upset someone should be sent to a reeducation camp.

BTW, here are some pictures of 7-11's in an area near the flooding in Bangkok.

Edited by mesquite

Without intending to monger any fear - they have announced that all rail traffic between here and there has been halted.

We understand you don't want to monger any fear, but unfortunately your post could be construed to do just that.

Could you please edit it to say, "All rail traffic between here and there is running smoothly?"

This is the same as the 7-11 at Thapae Gate and clerk said no problems with most items.

That's a good indicator, a 7/11 clerk..

Talked to the Rim Ping supermarket manager, there will be some food/drinking water shortages in the near future if it continues to flood in BKK!!

Maybe, but I do not think that Mr. Cushing was thinking about the title of this thread: "Have You Noticed The Supermarket Shelves? slowly but surely becoming empty in CM"

Contrary to your original post, there seems to be plenty of food and water right now. :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yesterday at Hangdong Big C I wondered why the shelves in most of the areas seemed greatly reduced. Supply chain problems must be affecting us up here to. Wonder how much is being transferred down to the flood victims as well. They need it more than we do, so good if they are doing that.

He may very well be right, but there does not seem to be much of a problem right now.

Always plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.- Richard Cushing, novelist

It probably was when they wrote the story though - jackr, TV member. ;)

Around noon, the drinking water in tops Airport plaza and Big C Hang Dong was finished except some expensive foreign brands and a cheap brand I never saw before (and no one seems to buy) at Big C. Scored my brand at Makro but also there drinking water is nearly finished. And everywhere the shelves getting empty. Funny to see how they mask it placing one row of other foodstuff on the shelves. And the prices of meat are rising again.

Edited by Joop50

Tops at Airport Plaza had six jars of Kraft Miracle Whip at 1130.......out of consideration for my American friends, I took none. smile.gif

You have got to be <deleted> kidding me. I guess they have no worries that sludge will never make the controlled goods list!

Big C near Makro on Hang Dong Rd, was fairly well stocked up this evening.

The bulk packets of mama were mainly being bought by farang's. Could these be the real cheap charlies in person, or maybe the ones who refer to others as such and say they eat well themselves.......oh and leave big tips.wink.gif

Maybe 3 or 4 kids that like noodles!

It's not just the supermarket shelves, school just started and university text books are not arriving from Bangkok also because of the flood.

Good time to teach them English without using Thai authored English books.

Tops at Airport Plaza had six jars of Kraft Miracle Whip at 1130.......out of consideration for my American friends, I took none. smile.gif

You have got to be <deleted> kidding me. I guess they have no worries that sludge will never make the controlled goods list!

There was a whole thread on here not so long ago about Miracle Whip....people were having panic attacks!