Recurring Tourist Visa's

Norwegian - 32.

I am sure this has been answered someplace either here or on the internet elsewhere but I would like some reassurance from people in the know.

Would one have any trouble getting tourist visas at some point by travelling in and out of Thailand(not back to the home country). Would they suddenly say three is enough? I am planning to be in the region for 11-13 months and really can not see I meet any requirements for other visas than the tourist visa. This would mean I would need 4-5 visas by leaving and reentering. Would this be problematic?

Cheers

Why not just apply to the Thai Consulate in Norway for a double or triple entry Tourist visa......a triple would be better as this would give you almost 9 months (in total) stay in Thailand after which its just a short trip down to Malaysia for a new double/triple entry tourist visa to give you another 6/9 months stay.

If you have problems obtaining the double/triple from the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Norway simply apply for a single entry and go to Malaysia a little earlier for the new triple entry...............that will give you a year in total.

You will get at least a double tourist visa in Norway, so Thaiflyer's advice is very sound. A double, if used correctly, translates to about 5 months' time in Thailand, where you will have to leave the country once (after the first 60 days) in order to return and claim your second 60 days. The day when your second 60 days are about to end, you go to an Immigration office to ask for a 30-day extension - 1900 baht is the current fee for an extension.

You could also leave for Malaysia to get a new double entry.

Are you sure Malaysia issues triple-entries, thaiflyer?

Are you sure Malaysia issues triple-entries, thaiflyer?

Believe they do, best chance is to use an agent though.............at the very least the OP should be able to obtain a double..............so maybe a double in Norway first then another in Malaysia later.

Duality..........in theory you can get 180 days out of a double entry i.e 60 days upon arrival then extend by 30 days at local immigration then exit and re-enter Thailand using the second entry on the visa for another 60+30 days stay.

Edited by thaiflyer1

Norwegian - 32.

I am sure this has been answered someplace either here or on the internet elsewhere but I would like some reassurance from people in the know.

Would one have any trouble getting tourist visas at some point by travelling in and out of Thailand(not back to the home country). Would they suddenly say three is enough? I am planning to be in the region for 11-13 months and really can not see I meet any requirements for other visas than the tourist visa. This would mean I would need 4-5 visas by leaving and reentering. Would this be problematic?

Cheers

Hello there,I am in the same situation myself so to tell you what I found out this morning from people in the know,when asked how many times you can border hop,or visa run as we know it,the amounts of times you cross the border and back again in the same day,is unlimited to renew your tourists visa.

I did it once at Poipet and about to do it again in the next few days.

Advice if you want it is,go to the Thai Immigration office at the border,have your P/port stamped departed.as you walk towards the Cambodian Immigration Office there which is across the road by about 300 metres you will be greeted by Touts wanting to show you the routine,the easiest way is to let them guide you,costs abit more money.When your P/port has been copleted,usually about 15mins,it will cost you about 1500baht,go immediately across the road and have your P/port stamped departed from Cambodia,then walk back into Thailand and have your P/P stamped as entered,this costs nothing.you will get another 30 days.OK.

Hope this eases your problem.

KC

Keencenturion...........what the original poster is asking is will he ever get turned down for a new Tourist visa if he applies to a country other than his own.

What you are talking about is, as you rightly point out a "border run" for a new 30 day entry permit.

The border at Aranyaprathet have no say in if you will be turned down for entry once you have a Tourist Visa in your passport i.e they cannot over rule a Thai Embassy/Consulate .

You cannot re-new a Tourist Visa at Aranyaprathet you can however use either the first or subsequent entries that have been granted by an Embassy/Consulate already on such a visa.

What you can do is obtain a further 30 day entry permit at Aranyaprathet this is not a visa...............its this entry permit which the Immigration Officer at Aranyaprathet has discretion in granting .

Welcome to Thaivisa by the way. :o

A visa gets you to the door but I believe it is up to the doorkeeper (immigration) if you are allowed to pass through that door. Consulates and visa issue is just a pre screening to help them in that process. But in 99% plus percent of the cases they will allow the visa entry.

The 30 day stamp is subject to change in policy at immigration offices and many people have been told not to come back after repeated use. But again it is a minority and most people will not have a problem (unless policy changes).

The  border  at  Aranyaprathet  have  no  say  in  if  you  will  be  turned  down  for  entry  once  you  have  a  Tourist  Visa  in  your  passport  i.e  they  cannot  over  rule  a  Thai  Embassy/Consulate .

Thinking about i take this statement back, as Lopburi states its Immigration who have the last say on entry...........i/d also agree that in 99% of cases they will not deny entry though.

Scenario where they might could be if they asked for a show of funds i.e 20k/40k baht for Tourist/Non Imm visa and it wasn't forthcoming............the Embassy/Consulate would of granted the inital visa without requiring to see funds but it is a requirement upon entering Thailand (although rarely asked for).

So true and so often mis-understood, a visa is just a recommendation to let the person in. Final decision is with the immigration.

Some months ago, I read an interview with the Chief of Immigration at Nongkhai, who clearly pointed out that they are immgration police, not immigration service and their job being to watch out for and deny entry to undesirables rather than to serve foreigners. Explains a lot, I guess.

Thanx Thaiflyer,any info is definitely a bonus for me as you will no doubt gather I am new to the game.What I could do with knowing is a reputable English Thai translator in BKK as I`m off there to do a few things,I am sure you will know what I am on about without advertising the fact.

Cheers once again,good site this is,well worth joining.

KC

Keencenturion...........what  the  original  poster  is  asking  is  will  he  ever  get  turned  down  for  a  new  Tourist  visa  if  he  applies  to  a  country  other  than  his  own.

What  you  are  talking  about  is, as  you  rightly  point  out  a  "border  run" for  a  new  30  day  entry  permit.

The  border  at  Aranyaprathet  have  no  say  in  if  you  will  be  turned  down  for  entry  once  you  have  a  Tourist  Visa  in  your  passport  i.e  they  cannot  over  rule  a  Thai  Embassy/Consulate .

You  cannot  re-new  a  Tourist  Visa  at  Aranyaprathet  you  can  however  use  either  the  first  or  subsequent  entries  that  have  been  granted  by  an  Embassy/Consulate  already  on  such  a  visa.

What  you  can  do  is  obtain  a  further  30  day  entry  permit  at  Aranyaprathet  this  is  not  a  visa...............its  this  entry  permit  which  the  Immigration  Officer  at  Aranyaprathet  has  discretion  in  granting .

Welcome  to  Thaivisa  by  the  way.  :)

Back to the original question.

I am in and out of Thailand from Korea twice a year. I just applied for - and received my sixth 60-day tourist visa (yes, I know it depends on what happens when I entry - but I have never got less than 60 days on it). This from the Thai embassy in Seoul - which is not well known for its helpfulness.

So, no problem on the recurring visas from that angle.