Used Pickup Truck Advice

jing jing

I've searched the forum for information about used pickups but didn't find much in that regard, so here goes...

I'm looking for a year 2000 or newer 4 door pickup, preferably 4WD with all the options, and in searching websites like One2car I've noticed that Toyotas and Isuzus sell for more than the others, and Nissans in particular seem to be on the cheaper end. Do the Nissan Big M Frontiers have problems that cause them to lose value faster than other trucks? I just test drove a 2000 4WD Frontier with 76K kilometers, 2.5 liter intercooled turbo diesel, and it went great; a nice tight vehicle with decent power, very straight and clean, everything seemed to work properly. Loaded up with leather and all the options - I toyed with the idea of buying it but had my reservations due to the resale value issue, and wondered if there's something wrong with these Nissans that I'm not aware of.

They were asking 440K, which I know is too much, and they dropped quickly to 420K. I figure 375-390K would be a fair price for that vehicle, but I doubt they'll go that low.... just keep it polished up and wait for the right sucker. I haven't driven a Toyota D4D or Isuzu yet but I know they're anywhere from 50-100K more expensive than the Nissan. I will probably test drive each of them before I make a decision.

Again, the question I have is: is there anything that makes the Nissan legitimately less valuable - such as known turbo problems or premature failure of major components - or is it mainly an issue of folks buying what everyone else does because they're afraid to do something different? Are the Toyotas and Isuzus really 50-100K better?

I think the primary reason is that Thais value Toyota and Isuzu, therefore they hold value better in secondhand market. All the others are 'lesser beings!'

I looked around a lot at pick ups and eventually decided best course was to buy new, but only Toyota or Isuzu. Found it hard to get a good vehicle at a price that seemed worth it ... but did make life difficult by wanting an automatic.

One thing to be cautious of is that Isuzu engines can become noisy after about a 100k or so, at least that is what I have been told. Also take great care if buying a Thai owned vehicle, it has probably been used and abused more than you would like ... so the rumours go ... also heard that it is not uncommon for a bit of parts swapping to occur ... all of which made me think new was a safer, if more costly, option.

If you are in Bangkok, or can get there, I have a friend who was selling a Toyota Tiger pick up about a month ago, not sure if he still has it, but chances are he does as he was not actively advertising it.

If it had been auto I'd be driving it now, excellent condition, don't recall mileage, but under 100k, about 3 or 4 years old, like new. 4 door, 4wd, dark green, rear carryboy canopy. Stored undercover, he's in UK most of time, it started on first crank of engine. Asking about 350k+, for someone this will be a dream buy I think. PM me if interested.

Only problem with buying new is dealing with the dealer! Promises ... promises ...

Edited by patrickq

The Nissan is a very good pick up,

Out here the Thais do seem to be very brand aware so they all want Toyota, my nissan is 2 years old now and has never missed a beat.

I regularly drove the toyota d4d and to be honest i never liked it,

Just like the UK you can often pay for the badge on the front of the vehicle, the Vigo is a nice pick up but will not do any more than my nissan does.

And before you all say about the the resale values, i got mine second hand at a really good price and intend to keep for some time so i will not lose out.

Remember the same applies out here as it does at home, when you buy brand new that is when you lose the most, just drive it out the showroom and kiss your money goodbye.

mike.

I've got a Frontier Cab 2wd (about 80,000km), That we mainly use for the farm, but not heavy work, just sending the milk to the dairy everyday, and a Isuzu 4 door 4wd (140,000 km), which although not used for the farm (much) has probably had a harder life than the Nissan. They are both about the same age although the Isuzu has nearly twice the milage on it.

They both are very reliable, but the Nissan feels old and loose compared to the Isuzu which still feels new and tight after 140,000 km. It probably depends on your usage, but IMO the Isuzu is the much better pick-up in terms of ride, handling ect. The Nissan is cheaper on fuel though, it just comes down to what you want to pay. Whit the slow depreciation on the Toyotas and Isuzus I've always thought new is the better deal, but second hand the Nissans are considerably cheaper.

RC

I tend to be wary of anything used with the thought of "if it's such a good vehicle, then why are they selling it". I used to buy and sell used vehicles but then I worked on them myself so know a bit about looking at older stuff. If you don't know what you're looking at then buy new. There are a lot of used trucks and vans out there for sale and I would say nost have done some hard time and don't trust what you read on the speedo unless you're savy enough to look at the connector on the speedo to see if it's been removed.

Mitsi are often cheaper because the local distributor tends to be more expensive for servicing, and has fewer parts etc....

Nissan has low market share so again parts are arguably harder to get hold of, but personally I am a big Nissan fan.

For some of the newer models, both Nissan and Mitsi diesels were older technology and not common rail compared to Isuzu and Toyota.

However, overall IMHO Toyota, Isuzu and Honda (cars) hold their resale value here better; so as a second hand buyer you get the advantage of that. Actually some people buy those 3 brands for that reason.

Ramdom, I understand what you are saying but the model that the OP was interested in was the 150bhp turbo/intercooler  model which is critisized for its fuel consumption.  About 7kpl.

Ok missed that bit, but it should still hold true.....except for the fuel economy.

BTW, you can get the clocks changed in most garages, even the digital ones, so I would'nt go too much on the milage.

BTW, you can get the clocks changed in most garages, even the digital ones, so I would'nt go too much on the milage.

Agreed. I always ignore the mileage and look for other signs.

Original tyres, seat wear and steering wheel wear are good indicators.

in looking at different markets, some companies look to move inventory. living in the states and driving porsches, i have had a few nissan sport utility vehicles. toyota up until late made a heavier car that was less responsive, drawing the masses of older people and budget conscious. Nissan has always made a more responsive lighter vehichle, when you stepped on the gas a little quicker but when you slammed the door a much louder tinnier sound. Nissan came out with the Infiniti brand that was much more powerful than the toyotas, not toyota/lexus is going for more hp. nissan have always been cheaper as the #2 so they priced to be more competitive. Mitsubishi as someone already wrote, are Shake/Rattle&Roll when you get some mileage on them, no thanks. I will buy a Nissan or a Ford which is really a Mazda, as about 6 months ago I saw them new for around 550k baht. some companies go to different markets to move their inventory, Thailand may be the place for Nissan to try and gain market share withouth hurting their stronger markets like the US and Japan. Also, nothing wrong buying used, try and get a compression check and in just giving it the eyeball tests, look for wear and tear on belts, hoses and oil film. take off the oil cap and look at the inside of the block and inside the cap itself. you can tell if they have been changing the oil and getting tuneups by the belts and hoses. most will try a wash and wax, but most don't think about the belts and hoses as they will tell you if the car has been serviced. My 2 cents from a Porsche Racer and who will be buying a Nissan or Ford in the next 60 days in Thailand.

I bought my Nissan from the main dealer in Cha Am no guarentee there i hear you say?

but it had one previous farang owner and was one year old, the first thing i did was to get rid of the old oil shocks and replace them with Gas shocks.

To anyone out there this is a very good investment as the ride is really improved and at such low cost.

As i said before the nissan has been fine and does all i could ask for, and for only 430000 bht i am really happy.

I could have paid much more for a toyota or isuzu but we tried them all first and the dealers were very unresponsive, also who wants to pay top price out here when you get motorbikes and car drivers playing dodgems with you all the time.

Ps, what do the rest of you think about the new mitsubishi, is it me or does it look like a pile of crap.

Mike.

Ps, what do the rest of you think about the new mitsubishi, is it me or does it look like a pile of crap.

Mike.

Yes. Looks like one alright. It's very ... ungainly looking. I sat in one, and the interior is nice enough. Apart from the large steering wheel it feels like a car. But truthfully I'd never be able to warm to the looks. Actually prefer the Strada and it was no looker either.

I read a report on it in the Bangkok post a while back and they said that it was great looking :o

Great looking

I cant warm to the shape at the rear of the cab, it looks like some sort of old fashioned carrige.

I suppose the vehicle is too new to get any real idea on reliability, but as i understand Mitsu are going through problems with market share at the moment, dont think i will be rushing to the local dealer for one.

Mike.

Think i will stick to nissan and this.

post-12445-1132107258_thumb.jpg

I just test drove a 2001 Toyota Hilux D4D 4WD with 3 liter turbo, and I must say I was impressed with that vehicle. One thing I noticed about the Nissan was that the ventilation system was rudimentary, almost nonexistent. There was an AC fan speed knob and a temperature knob, but nothing at all for defrost, vent, recirculate, etc. This is quite different from the vehicles they send to the USA which have the full complement of vent controls; I guess they figure in Thailand it's all AC, all the time. The Toyota on the other hand has the full ventilation control (air distribution I guess you'd call it) knobs, as in their US models.

The Toyota definitely felt more powerful and the ride seemed a bit more controlled -- not exactly soft but a little more compliant and better damping. Both had leather interiors and the Nissan had some plastic "wood" inserts on the dash and doors, but overall the Toyo interior was better appointed and had a roomier back seat. Little details like a fold down armrest in the back and more cupholders in the Toyo also caught my attention.

The Nissan had a nice Sammitr shell but no bedliner, the Toyo had a bedliner but no shell, they both had about 75K showing on the clock (seems like a popular number :o ) , the Nissan was a 2000 and the Toyo a 2001, and true to form the Toyo was about 70K more expensive (490K vs. 420K).

Decisions, decisions... now to further confuse myself I need to test drive one of those sssweeet looking Isuzus!

I have a 2004 Nissan King cab that I bought new. It has the non turbo 3.0 liter diesel. It consistently gets between 13 and 14 kilometers per liter. I am very happy with it. A friend of mine has 2002 Toyota four wheel drive. He followed me from Jomtien to Loei. I got 13.6 kilometers per liter and he got 9.

Around where I live up here there are very few Toyotas. I have no idea why. The Isuzu dominates the market with Nissan second and believe or not Ford is third.