Australian boy held on drug charge moved to Indonesian immigration detention center

News_Editor

Australian boy held on drug charge moved to Indonesian immigration detention center

2011-10-24 16:59:56 GMT+7 (ICT)

BALI, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) -- A 14-year-old Australian boy who was previously arrested for drug possession on the Indonesian island of Bali has been moved from a police detention cell to an immigration detention center, the Antara news agency reported on Monday.

With his face covered, the boy arrived at the center on Saturday afternoon while accompanied by police officers and his parents. The head of the province's law and human rights office, Taswem Tarib, said the boy had to be moved due to limited space at the penitentiary.

Tarib said Indonesia would continue to treat the case according to the law but, for humanitarian reasons, the government had decided to give the boy special treatment. "Once again, the law will be enforced but for humanitarian reasons it was decided to hold him at this center. After all, we still do not have a good place to detain children," he explained, as quoted by Antara.

The suspect's lawyer, Rifan, welcomed the decision. "We are glad. His family is also glad. This shows that the Indonesian government cares and respects children's human rights," he said.

The immigration detention center has eight rooms where 36 illegal immigrants from Iran, Afghanistan and Malaysia stay. The Australian boy was placed in a room measuring 7 meters by 5 meters (22.9 feet by 16.4 feet)

The boy, whose identity has not been released, was caught carrying marijuana in Legian, Bali earlier this month. He faces a maximum sentence of six years in an adult prison if convicted.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-10-24

Usually when you return to school, there is the obligatory, "What I did on My Summer Holiday" essay. His should be more interesting that most.

I hope he avoids a jail sentence and certainly time in an adult prison.

14 year old with weed. A laughable offence back in OZ, a ticket to he11 in Indonesia. I reckon, this kid will be sufficiently traumatized after a few months that there will be no need for a prison term. Probably, the first time in his life he has ever received a dose of reality.

I do wonder though, if he's just the typical happy go lucky clueless teenager that wasn't thinking or if he's an apprentice Chav. If a typical kid, I'd give him a hug and send him home and if a knot, lose him in the system for a bit longer.

Marijuana is a class A drug in Indonesia, it is not in Australia. This is the problem. One method might be is to exchange some of the Indonesian children in detention in Australia, who were crew members of the people smuggling operations. But it may have gone too far now for that.

Remember politics will generally override justice. And one must respect the Indonesian legal system.

14 year old with weed. A laughable offence back in OZ, a ticket to he11 in Indonesia. I reckon, this kid will be sufficiently traumatized after a few months that there will be no need for a prison term. Probably, the first time in his life he has ever received a dose of reality.

I do wonder though, if he's just the typical happy go lucky clueless teenager that wasn't thinking or if he's an apprentice Chav. If a typical kid, I'd give him a hug and send him home and if a knot, lose him in the system for a bit longer.

If he admitted to a history of drug abuse then the indonesian authorites say they would take a lighter approach to sentencing possibly to undergo councelling and a drug reabillitation program. The boy and his parents have admitted that he has a drug history.

I haven't seen the Aust P.M or foreign Minister going in so hard to bat for other aussies in prisons around S/E Asia, for them this is simply a point scoring exercise.

If he admitted to a history of drug abuse then the indonesian authorites say they would take a lighter approach to sentencing possibly to undergo councelling and a drug reabillitation program. The boy and his parents have admitted that he has a drug history.

I haven't seen the Aust P.M or foreign Minister going in so hard to bat for other aussies in prisons around S/E Asia, for them this is simply a point scoring exercise.

and if your a terrist in indonesia and you help organise the bali bombing you get seven years in jail. and all your wifes get to visit you .and they trow the book at you for a little pot work that one out . james

and if your a terrist in indonesia and you help organise the bali bombing you get seven years in jail. and all your wifes get to visit you .and they trow the book at you for a little pot work that one out . james

Come on.....this story is wrong on so many levels. You need to be touched in the head to take drugs in Indonesia, how did he get them? where were the parents in all this?

There's enough media coverage of Australians being caught with drugs in Bali as it is..........when is the penny going to drop?

Come on.....this story is wrong on so many levels. You need to be touched in the head to take drugs in Indonesia, how did he get them? where were the parents in all this?

There's enough media coverage of Australians being caught with drugs in Bali as it is..........when is the penny going to drop?

How is this story so wrong, do you think it is fiction? This actually happened and is happening as we speak. There is a 14 yr old aussie kid being held in Bali on drug possession. The kid broke the law and as such should be dealt with, but 6 yrs imprisonment for a couple of grams of grass is a little harsh for a child when as another said, a mass murderer get 7 yrs.

Tough love is called for here. Throw the book at him so:

(1)He will learn

(2)Others will see him as an example

If you let this kid off easy he will just do it again and or others will do it.

Do the crime, pay the fine. At 14 he can read and he knows better.

(1)He will learn

If anyone should be doing time its the parents. Only an idiot would take their dope smoking child to Bali for a break....any sensible parent would have them spending the holidays picking fruit or suchlike......rewarding bad behaviour just exacerbates these things.

Well now his parents have sold the story to the media for 200-300 thousand dollars we can see them for what they are. This seriously jeopardises the case and have the Indonesians fearful of a bucket of sensationalist lies being broadcast on a national network. The Australian and Indonesian Government should seek to recoup costs from this greedy earner.

Later this month a few thousand Aussie kids on schoolies will descend on Bali thinking if they get caught they can make big money.

It is about time the Australian Government had the right to remove and cancel passports for stupid acts committed overseas.

Edited by ronrat

Well now his parents have sold the story to the media for 200-300 thousand dollars we can see them for what they are. This seriously jeopardises the case and have the Indonesians fearful of a bucket of sensationalist lies being broadcast on a national network. The Australian and Indonesian Government should seek to recoup costs from this greedy earner.

Later this month a few thousand Aussie kids on schoolies will descend on Bali thinking if they get caught they can make big money.

It is about time the Australian Government had the right to remove and cancel passports for stupid acts committed overseas.

Chav Aussies!

Chav Aussies!

I believe the PC terminology is 'bogan'.

Best viewed in their natural environment, The Lucky Country, easily identifed, mullets and VB.

(1)He will learn

Agree.