Trains And Flooding

organic

I'm hoping to travel by train from Bangkok to the south of the country round about Nov 7th. Obviously if the flooding gets bad they'll be forced to stop train services at some point. Is there anywhere to get regular news on the status of the service?

There has been 3 different threads in the last 10 days all asking the same query........a simple click to page 2 would give an obvious answer.

If I told you that I was flying with TG to Hat Yai on Nov 7 who would you suggest I contact for updated info? (Which obviously between now and then will change)

There has been 3 different threads in the last 10 days all asking the same query........a simple click to page 2 would give an obvious answer.

If I told you that I was flying with TG to Hat Yai on Nov 7 who would you suggest I contact for updated info? (Which obviously between now and then will change)

Sorry, I don't find your unwarranted sarcasm helpful. There are 3 threads on page 2 asking about trains to other destinations. The SRT website has no obvious link to news (which would be precisely what I'm looking for) and the one page of news quoted on the 3rd thread is in Thai.

Sorry, I don't find your unwarranted sarcasm helpful. There are 3 threads on page 2 asking about trains to other destinations. The SRT website has no obvious link to news (which would be precisely what I'm looking for) and the one page of news quoted on the 3rd thread is in Thai.

The sarcasm was warranted and abnormal from this member. However, you'll forgive me but when people don't even appear to check the most obvious, easily obtainable source from the operator, state that they have checked previous threads or give specific travel info it appears patently lazy.

In short, a clear understanding of what you are doing (destination????) and why you cannot find what you need shows you have made some effort and helps elicit a more accurate and informed response. The main point in my response is that you are best to contact the operator directly. The SRT has a 24 hour info number.

The SRT site DOES have regular flooding info updates with obvious links so not sure what site have been checking? http://www.railway.co.th/home/

It has 4 updates listed on the site since the 17th. IN addition the latest update was posted today at 11:49am is on northern services focusing on the line situation between Don Muang and Rangsit, http://www.railway.c...p?idnews=%20961.

If you are not using Chrome for instant translation then Google Translate is easy. If for whatever reason you still cannot access the SRT site or cannot find these updates I am more than happy to post a google translate or summarise the info for you but it mainly relates to the northern line services.

Your plan is to travel about the 7th which means the situation will most likely be completely different. Best to call the SRT info line, even from abroad, a few days prior to travel but even then the southern line could be inundated the day before your intended departure. (Also, when you arrive at the airport you can check with the SRT staff at the ARL station).

Edited by Lakegeneve

I totally agree. Seems like a long unnecessary reply for someone that doesn't know the answer. TV full of them! Good luck with trying to find out.

Also if you want to copy the text to translate it, they've put some javascript on the page to disable selections for some reason. You can get round this by turning javascript off in your browser and reloading the page. You'll probably want to turn it back on afterwards (google translate doesn't work fully without it).

Edited by organic

I totally agree. Seems like a long unnecessary reply for someone that doesn't know the answer. TV full of them! Good luck with trying to find out.

No one knows the answer for services to the south on the 7th but for where to get the best info. that answer is patently obvious. There are clearly updates on the SRT site DIRECTLY linked on the home page being posted regularly as I have been checking it every few days for the last 3 weeks.

This has been pointed out to a other members who queried where to find info on train services. If someone can't be bothered checking the most obvious source, nor checking earlier threads on the next page, nor using easy translation for thai language info and DOESN'T mention that they have done all of the above but for some reason still cannot find the info, then on the odd occasion a bit of sarcasm does not go astray. It was to make a point which I think was well made as the OP now concedes that the info he needed is available on the SRT site. (though he incorrectly states it is not linked on the home page when it is).

If it was a prick thing to do on my part, then I can wear that. But there are some really lazy people on TV who can't even seem to bothered checking threads as evidence let alone do a bit of basic leg work themselves. The OPs question appeared to be in that category.

Organic, FYI.

ON the SRT site http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=966 and in the Nation breaking news;

SRT cancels south-bound train services

October 28, 2011 11:58 am

The State Railway of Thailand cancelled all south-bound train services from Bangkok Friday.

SRT spokeswoman Nualanong Wongchan said all services from Bangkok to the South for Friday were cancelled.

She said the services had to be cancelled because the rail tacks between Bang Sue and Bang Bamru stations were inundated and the water was over 48 centimetres high.

Services to northern and northeastern provinces operated as usual, she said.

The Nation