Diamond Ring

smok3yjk

I have been talking with a lovely Thai girl for the past month or so. I am very cautious and do not want to be involved in any sort of scam as I've read so many horror stories. But this girl seems to be very genuine so far and is not throwing any red flags other than one. Her facebook seems to have genuine conversations between her and her family (all in Thai), her English is not the best, her sister and nieces who cannot speak English have said hello to me on voice chat. She talks to me from her work place as her sister owns a hair salon and she chats with me when there are no customers. I've heard over voice chat the sounds of the hair salon and have many pictures of it so it seems legit. She has a cousin who is married to a foreigner and lives in London, and I see that person on her facebook along with her husband so that seems legit too. She has never asked me for money and I've even offered to buy her something and mail it to her and she did not want me to spend my money on her and to save it for my trip to Thailand. Everything she tells me seems to be true and she seems like a very genuine person. She is 34 years old and says that she has never been married.

However I've noticed in the pictures that she has sent me (I have over 150 photo's of her and her family now) that she wears a diamond ring on her left ring finger. I've tried researching a bit about wedding ring tradition in Thailand and cannot get a completely clear answer. Is it normal for an unmarried Thai girl to wear a diamond ring? And if so would a Thai girl wear it on her wedding finger or is this just a western tradition? I never noticed the ring until today and now I am really wondering about it. I will ask her next time I talk with her but I would like to get some second opinions as well.

Well I asked her about it today. She said that she had always wanted a diamond ring and had saved up 12,500 baht over a period of time to buy it. She told me that she wear's it on that finger because she does not like thai men hitting on her because she does not like thai men. She told me that according to thai tradition you are never supposed to take off a wedding ring. Well there are some pictures in which she is not wearing the ring so she does take it off sometimes. She also has several nice looking necklaces that she wears that she says she bought herself as well. And she wears a gold ring on her right ring finger that she says was a gift from her mother.

As for job she does have a university degree in accounting and used to work for an accounting firm in Bangkok. I have a picture or two of her and her coworkers in her accounting firm that looks pretty legit. She quit her job as an accountant 4 years ago because she absolutely hated it and went to work with her sister in her hair salon business that she owns. I know she does not make much money now but perhaps she did when she was an accountant?

I am also younger than her as I am 28 and she is 34. I also do not have a job at the moment and she knows that too yet she still seems to like me a lot. I don't think money is the most important issue to her. She's also a very traditional Thai girl. No sex before marriage that kind of thing. Has a nephew being forced into arranged marriage that she does not agree with. Has a sister who is very sad because her husband is taking a 2nd wife. Seems like a traditional thai family to me.

What do you think? Again this ring is the ONLY thing suspicious about her so far to me. I have her mobile number, her sisters mobile number. All her other stories have held up as being true under scrutiny. But this diamond thing thing is bothering me as it just seems unusual.

Edited by smok3yjk

Older Thai women often pay younger more desirable men for sex. Especially if they are not attractive.

Hair salon, beauty shop, coffee shop are all retirement jobs for working girls or girls that have found someone daft enough to buy them a business.

I'm not saying the girl you are talking to falls into any of these categories.

Just that a young white man with an older Thai girl would be unusual.

Ask yourself why a trained accountant is working in a hair salon.

(Accountant wages 20k a month, hair salon wages 5k a month)

A Thai girl would wear a diamond ring on her wedding finger if she were engaged to a western man.

Scam artists always seem genuine, else they wouldn't fool anyone.

Thai men don't care if a girl is engaged or not, Thai tradition does not generally include exchange of rings.

Thai girls lie, she will only tell you what she thinks you want to hear, many Thai girls start having sex at age 12, what has she been doing the past 22 years?

Either

1) she is lying to you or

2) she doesn't like sex

Whichever one it is, you don't want her.

Stop reading Stickman, start thinking for yourself.

Edited by ludditeman
  • Like 1

Older Thai women often pay younger more desirable men for sex. Especially if they are not attractive.

Hair salon, beauty shop, coffee shop are all retirement jobs for working girls or girls that have found someone daft enough to buy them a business.

I'm not saying the girl you are talking to falls into any of these categories.

Just that a young white man with an older Thai girl would be unusual.

Ask yourself why a trained accountant is working in a hair salon.

(Accountant wages 20k a month, hair salon wages 5k a month)

A Thai girl would wear a diamond ring on her wedding finger if she were engaged to a western man.

Scam artists always seem genuine, else they wouldn't fool anyone.

Thai men don't care if a girl is engaged or not, Thai tradition does not generally include exchange of rings.

Thai girls lie, she will only tell you what she thinks you want to hear, many Thai girls start having sex at age 12, what has she been doing the past 22 years?

Either

2) she doesn't like sex

i have to agree with what you have to say . our friend is being taken for a ride. it may take time . but she has started. james ;)

Either

2) she doesn't like sex

I'm sorry but your post sounded credible until you said this. Obviously you are a 58 year old man who hangs out in the go go bars too much to have an opinion that Thai girls start having sex at age 12.

How about some female opinions here rather than jaded old men.

I would have to agree with you, but then I have read a few of this member's previous posts and he lost all credibility with me quite some time ago.

A young Thai woman on a limited budget that has spent a rather large sum of money on something impractical yet showy is not unusual. It is a rather odd finger to wear it on, however. It seems to me better that you wait until you actually meet her in person and get to know her. As is obvious on these forums, anyone can be anything on the internet, it is much more difficult to hide one's true self after spending a significant amount of face to face time together.

Are you a troll or just that fuc_king stupid? Run away. Fast!! And how about meeting girls like normal people(not the internet)? Through friends, at a party, through some type of work function, etc.... Its no wonder so many idiots come here and lose everything. Think with your head man....the one at the top of your neck.

I would have to agree with you, but then I have read a few of this member's previous posts and he lost all credibility with me quite some time ago.

A young Thai woman on a limited budget that has spent a rather large sum of money on something impractical yet showy is not unusual. It is a rather odd finger to wear it on, however. It seems to me better that you wait until you actually meet her in person and get to know her. As is obvious on these forums, anyone can be anything on the internet, it is much more difficult to hide one's true self after spending a significant amount of face to face time together.

Thanks a lot!

Just to point out, this is not "a young Thai woman" we are discussing here.

At 34 most Thai males would consider her old.

With only 6 years of her practical reproductive life left, they might be right.

Some women do like to spend money on showy things, even if they really can't afford it. However, she could be pretty confident of finding some sucker who will then make up for all that.

Meet the woman in person before you make any kind of arrangements or commitments.

Here is a novel idea, move to Thailand, be on your own for a while, get to know some women before you get involved with anybody.

Too many men seem to move here and shack up with some girl straight away then get ripped off and become all jaded about Thailand and Thai women.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I really do get tired of people who have trouble living on their own for a while.

Thanks for your feedback LadyHeather and mezzy. Believe me I have no intention of going to Thailand and marrying some girl after only knowing them for a few months like many other men seem to do. In fact I wasn't even looking to get a Thai gf. It just kinda ended up happening unintentionally.

I have made it clear with her that there are no real commitments until we have met in person. We have both agreed that we should be friends until we get to know each other better and then decide whether to pursue a relationship or not. I've studied all her friends Facebook profile's in detail trying to find any flaws or anything suspicious and I can't find anything. Everything she has told me seems to be 100% true and she really does come across as genuine.

But who knows maybe Thai scammers these days are just really that good at faking all aspects of their life but blatantly forget to remove their wedding ring before sending photo's to their potential farang sucker. There really was no attempt to hide it in any of the 150 photo's I have of her. I think it would be naive to think a "scam artist" as ludditeman put it, would overlook a simple detail like a wedding ring while claiming to be never married.

I have no interest in bedding with prostitutes like 99% of men who go to Thailand seem to do. I understand that many of these negative stories are from men who's impression of Thai girls is that of girls they met in Soi Cowboy, Nana plaza, Pattaya, etc. These are stupid men in my eyes and they deserve to be ripped off by Thai girls since it's obvious all they want is sex with young pretty girls. So let those young girls take their money, I could care less.

The only thing I truly don't understand is if this Thai girl is looking to scam someone for money then why the hell would she talk to me? I have told her I have no job at the moment and that I do not have much money. And I sure as hell am not going to send her any money. But she doesn't seem to care and still talks to me every day. I think that alone would have sent a scammer onto their next victim.

I was just looking for opinions from women if they would buy themselves a nice diamond ring. Definitely not typical where I come from but every country is different so that is why I seek opinions on that matter.

I have no interest in bedding with prostitutes like 99% of men who go to Thailand seem to do. I understand that many of these negative stories are from men who's impression of Thai girls is that of girls they met in Soi Cowboy, Nana plaza, Pattaya, etc. These are stupid men in my eyes and they deserve to be ripped off by Thai girls since it's obvious all they want is sex with young pretty girls. So let those young girls take their money, I could care less.

Just to correct some erroneous assumptions of yours.

It's really hard for a foreigner to meet a girl who hasn't worked in the P4P business.

Normal Thai girls don't want to meet or date foreigners

After living here years I know very few 'normal' Thai girls and strangely enough I have never been to those places you mention.

If you work here and speak reasonable Thai, eventually you will get the opportunity to meet 'normal' girls. (Although in Thailand 'normal' doesn't mean the same as it does in the UK)

Online or as a tourist you have almost no chance of meeting a 'normal' Thai girl..

99% of men who go to Thailand end up bedding working girls because

1) It is the only type of girl they can ever meet

2) It is the only type of girl who will/can speak to a foreigner

3) Foreign guys can't tell the difference between a Thai hooker and a Thai accountant

4) They refuse to take advice from people who know better

5) It's really easy to meet hookers, wherever you go in Thailand

6) Hookers can get free time whenever they want it, girls with proper jobs can't take time off

I have nothing against hookers, I know many and consider some of them my friends

Not because I seek out hookers, but because they are the girls that are hanging around tourists and foreigners.

But you have posted you are not interested in this type of woman and I have done my best to give you good advice.

Take it or leave it, up to you, but just because I don't tell you what you want to hear, please don't insult me, I have really given you no reason to do so.

Edited by ludditeman
  • Like 1

A Thai lady would very rarely save up on her own just to buy a piece of jewelry(especially diamond the resell value is in gold really..... not the cheap diamond rings 12,500 baht whistling.gif ) so i think she is undoubtedly lying about this.

Your story will be clearer when you meet,if you meet but until then enjoy the chats and do not send anything.

"She's also a very traditional Thai girl. No sex before marriage that kind of thing"

I liked this one!