Bees - Need Help To Remove Them

tomdfc

I am in Sansai and stay in a traditional Thai house which has wooden shingles - a feature which bees have found very appealing. The last couple of days have seen the bees become more active and they were swarming around the entrance to their "hive". I understand clearly the importance of nature and the role of bees in particular but also know they have to go. The problem is you have to walk directly underneath them (no more than 2 / 3 feet from your head) to get from the front to the back of the house - something we need to do many times daily.

My daughter gave me a beekeeper's hat. Forget it.

My maid told me that she knew someone in the village who could "talk to them". The 1,000 baht fee would be repayable if they came back. Right.

The employees of our pest control company (annual contract in place) declined during their last visit here to help. "Anterai". Understand..

So ........ does anyone have a good contact to deal with this problem. Thanks.

We've had bees at one time....use a lot of smoke,they will go away.I've used bunch of insents(the thing that Thai burn) in the big can with sand....make sure you and your family can have a safe place to hide and...don't burn the house :).

find a beekeeper who will remove them cheap and let them live.

I have them in my wall now , and some are in the house, but at least the bees here do not attack me !

they just fly around and leave ,

a few weeks ago an old lady in my town got attacked because someone tried to remove a hive and the bees felt threatened, swarmed and attacked the old lady who had nothing to do with it, She was stunk almoat 100 times,

Ohh I am in California where we have "killer" bees , or at least thats what TV keeps telling us :)

Find a Beekeeper !

BK

By a spray can of insect repellent and wait until evening, then empty the can into the entrance. :)

...hey Semper!I think it's better if you just comment without giving advise...B)...if there is no beekeeper around,the smoke will chase them away and they will find better,secluded location...one just don't kill bees,but they can kill you...

Edited by funcat

You will have to find someone to come remove them. Thais will not kill them. Something about bad luck and killing bees and destroying their home could result in the same happening to their family and home. We had a huge beehive 7 feet from our upstairs balcony for about 8 months. No one would touch them. Everyone commented on what "good luck", leave them be. The place next to us was vacant for about 2 years and the owner even had the place professionally cleaned so that a monk could spend one night there to take in the good luck, which he did, with the doors wide open no less! It was a real pain, we could not turn on our outdoor lights for 8 months without 100 bees coming to the lights or clinging to the screen door. I was stung maybe 8 times, the baby was stung twice, the dog and cat were stung... Any way, we came home one night and there were about 4 guys "smoking out the bees" and there were thousands of bees flying around. One guy had no fear and went up there and carefully removed the hive and relocated it.

post-49932-0-75521000-1319542605_thumb.j

We have a beehive hanging to the wooden shingle outside the balcony of the master bedroom. It's been getting bigger to around 3 feet now in about 4 months. Talked to an Issarn guy about getting rid of it, he said it's good luck that bees build hive at a house. He said further that they would come after you if you disturb them. He said the bees will leave after several months. Really?

The hive is high above with no human traffic and the bees don't seem to fly into the balcony. Another girl from Issarn said these bees are dangerous and people can get killed if they get stunt by 4 or 5 of them. The hive looks mud yellow which is quite unlike what electrified posted. Different bees?

My wife worries because she lets dogs in her bedroom out to pee at the balcony. I asked an Issarn friend to call the city after getting a number from 113. She called a couple of times but no answer. Then she forgot about it. Guess I need to get on her tail. Perhaps there's also a number in CM to call for such a service?

There are a few places around town where I've read honey for sale signs - all in Thai. I'd imagine talking to someone who keeps bees might be a good starting point. In the US some of the removal services are by beekeepers who remove them and then put them to work so they you can even get it done for free. I'm curious whether there might be a Thai equivalent ?

Though I know I've seen signs in several places, the one I strongly recall is somewhere on Canal Rd coming from Suthep intersection all the way around towards the Inner Ring Road intersection in Mae Hia. It's on your left around a curve somewhere, and you should be able to see mango and lam yai trees too. It's not a housing project, it's along one of the more wild stretches. Good luck !

... Perhaps there's also a number in CM to call for such a service?

I mentioned in your other post that these numbers do not exist. There is no such service. You are not in the west. You are on your own here.

What I meant was that there is no government agency or something like that. Pest control companies won't touch bees. So like RTD says, maybe contact someone who sells honey. They probably know someone who will smoke out the bees in hopes of getting the honey.

By a spray can of insect repellent and wait until evening, then empty the can into the entrance. :)

...hey Semper!I think it's better if you just comment without giving advise...B)...if there is no beekeeper around,the smoke will chase them away and they will find better,secluded location...one just don't kill bees,but they can kill you...

I like your "smoke idea" must be really convenient to evacuate the whole family for a couple of bees. The spray can method works. And regarding killing bees, they are hardly endangered species.

I like your "smoke idea" must be really convenient to evacuate the whole family for a couple of bees. The spray can method works. And regarding killing bees, they are hardly endangered species.

...if not now,they'll soon be...

http://news.discovery.com/animals/the-case-of-the-disappearing-bees.html

...there is much more on this subject...read on...

Yes, that's North American bumble bees. You don't see too many of them around in Thailand.

....."Besides the damage to ecosystems, humans suffer from the absence of bees. Agriculture depends on bees to pollinate crops. Declining bee populations and ranges have serious economic impacts.".......

Yes, that's North American bumble bees. You don't see too many of them around in Thailand.

....."Besides the damage to ecosystems, humans suffer from the absence of bees. Agriculture depends on bees to pollinate crops. Declining bee populations and ranges have serious economic impacts.".......

We are talking about 1 beehive here. :whistling:

We are talking about 1 beehive here. :whistling:

...I rest my case.....