Transferring Thai Citizenship To Foreign Spouse

Thai immigration law gives a Thai male the right to 'transfer' (that's the actual term used in the law and on the immigration docs) Thai citizenship to his foreign wife.

It says nothing about Thai women having the corresponding right and of course we all know it can't be done.

Or can't it?

The 1997 Thai constitution guarantees Thai women equal rights under Thai law. Hence Thai immigration acts are in violation of the current Thai constitution wherever they discriminate against Thai citizens because of their gender.

Ah yes, TIT, etc, but Thailand now has a system of special 'administrative courts' (saan bokhrawng) where people can seek the rectification of violations of one's constitutional rights. People use these courts daily. It would be interesting to see what would happen if a Thai woman approached an administrative court seeking the right to transfer Thai citizenship to her foreign husband. I can't imagine that she would win. But who knows -- unless someone tries?

This issue is actually up (or has been up) for consideration recently. Still being decided if it is unconsitiutional (I think).

I thought this issue has already been decided some time ago.

the Thai constitution makes only refrence to "all Thai citizens" meaning foreigners are not covered under the equality clause.

opalhort

The Court found against the male case.

Do you have any more details on this, Dr Pat? The case shouldn't involve a male or a foreigner, it's a question of a Thai woman's equal rights under the law. I can believe that a test case may have failed, of course, though I would assume anyone who would go to the trouble would be appealing now.

Anyway, any details would be greatly appreciated, e.g., who or when. Thanks.

Thai immigration law gives a Thai male the right to 'transfer' (that's the actual term used in the law and on the immigration docs) Thai citizenship to his foreign wife.

It says nothing about Thai women having the corresponding right and of course we all know it can't be done.

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate if some of you could look at my thread "Thai Nationality for Foreign Males" and give your opinion whether I should apply for Thai nationality or not!

The posters over there seem to say it's possible but when I read this thread it sounds differently!

Could somebody please clarify a little bit about the different things said in both threads?

Has a Western male ever obtained Thai nationality?

Cheers!

Snowleopard.

Plenty have obtained citizenship, but it takes time and committment to Thailand to achieve it.

Thank you very much! :o

I was hoping for an answer like that!

I'm committed and I do have the time too!

I will probably go get the application form next week and start the process!

If I understand correctly,the fee is five thousand baht!

Are there more documents to be submitted here than when applying for Resident Permit?

What are the fees if one is successful in receiving Thai citizenship?

For the Resident Permit,it was 25k!

Cheers! :D

Snowleopard.