Indian Grocery Store ?

y0y0b0y

Oh that's an easy question.

You just go to the Indian spice merchant inside Wararot market, near the river. It's in the second big building of the market area; this one is the furthest away from the river. It's the building with lots of dry food products, like pig skins, nuts, and crispy snacks on the ground floor. The Indian spice seller is in an area on the east side of this big open selling area. There are several spice and tea vendors there, but only one that's operated by an Indian family, to my knowledge. The various family members speak good English and their spices and dried herbs are fresh because they do such good business. I've found the quality of some of the dried herbs to be lacking (with stems and seeds in products that should just be leaves), but the spices are excellent.

You might also try "Spices" an Indian grocery store/restaurant near the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel. It's on the Khamphaeng Din street on the stretch that connects Sridonchai to Loi Khro. Here are the gps coordinates you can use on maps.google.com. They are my best estimate and should get you within 50 yards of the place. NancyL's recommendation is also good. I get a lot of my spices there. Very high quality saffron.

18.782086, 98.998404

It's also a restaurant and I suspect a pretty good one since virtually all its clientele are Indians.

I'm surprised I've never heard of this place before. Thank you so much for invaluable information.

I've been going to the one in Warorot market for a while including today. They also don't have many items including some basic thing like Chaat masala. The don't have Methi leaves, black cumin and carom seeds and I'm just a novice Indian cook and I'm not even Indian. I'm sure they are good persons but they don't have these things and I'm disappointed a bit.

BTW the items the op looking for are also available at Rimping.

You might also try "Spices" an Indian grocery store/restaurant near the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel. It's on the Khamphaeng Din street on the stretch that connects Sridonchai to Loi Khro. Here are the gps coordinates you can use on maps.google.com. They are my best estimate and should get you within 50 yards of the place. NancyL's recommendation is also good. I get a lot of my spices there. Very high quality saffron.

18.782086, 98.998404

It's also a restaurant and I suspect a pretty good one since virtually all its clientele are Indians.

Yeah, Rim Ping is my other source for herbs and spices, especially dried herbs. But, I like the Indian spice seller at Warorot because they'll sell in fairly small quanitites at cheap prices. Often, I've bought my first bottle of a spice at Rim Ping, knowing I'm paying for the glass shaker bottle. Then I get the "refills" from the Indian spice merchant, 50 grams at a time, which seems to fill up those little western-style spice bottles.

Edited by NancyL

18.782086, 98.998404

I have eaten there a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it, it is quite basic but the food is good. There were usually many local Indian-Thais dropping by purchasing items when I have eaten there.

18.782086, 98.998404

They are now closed or change owner and no longer sell stuff.

18.782086, 98.998404

The place isn't actually closed ; it's still open as a dark, cave-like restaurant under new Indian ownership but as Aristide says, he no longer sells stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

18.782086, 98.998404

The place isn't actually closed ; it's still open as a dark, cave-like restaurant under new Indian ownership but as Aristide says, he no longer sells stuff.

I went looking for the Indian spice place at the market but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any more specific directions?

On the way back home I walked past Spices Restaurant and decided to give it a try - obviously still had Indian spices on my mind. The saag and potato dish was OK but I found the daal overly runny and definitely too salty. I also ordered two chapati and a bottle of water. The bill came to B190. I can also confirm they do sell a range of Indian products.

I've learned the best way to locate something in Warorot is to have someone show you the first time. I tried to explain the specific location. I've never found the stall to be closed during regular market hours. I don't know what more I can do to assist the the previous poster, short of serving as a personal tour guide. This is something I've done often for people I know. PM me if you want to meet for a tour of Warorot.

I think that the restaurant-cum-grocery-store called Spices (or something like that)that used to be opposite the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel has shifted its location to Thapae Road at the lower end not far from where the night bazaar intersects with thapae road. At least the sign looks the same. I haven't gone inside yet to check if it's still offering groceries.

I think that the restaurant-cum-grocery-store called Spices (or something like that)that used to be opposite the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel has shifted its location to Thapae Road at the lower end not far from where the night bazaar intersects with thapae road. At least the sign looks the same. I haven't gone inside yet to check if it's still offering groceries.

Sorry for not specifying but yes the Spices place I visited was on Thapae road. Travelling towards Thapae gate from the river it's on the right hand side just after the intersection the the night bazaar road, opposite the purple SCB bank. They do indeed sell groceries.

I've learned the best way to locate something in Warorot is to have someone show you the first time. I tried to explain the specific location. I've never found the stall to be closed during regular market hours. I don't know what more I can do to assist the the previous poster, short of serving as a personal tour guide. This is something I've done often for people I know. PM me if you want to meet for a tour of Warorot.

Your details were certainly helpful, I just wasn't sure which side of the market was east. We happily strolled around the whole place (and the the neighbouring Ton Lam Yai market) but couldn't find anything. It was quite late in the day though so that could explain it. Not a problem.

Your details were certainly helpful, I just wasn't sure which side of the market was east. We happily strolled around the whole place (and the the neighbouring Ton Lam Yai market) but couldn't find anything. It was quite late in the day though so that could explain it. Not a problem.

In most of Chiang Mai city, the Ping River is to the east, and Doi Suthep is to the west. This applies at Warorot market as well. The spice merchant perhaps closes at 4 or 4:30 pm. Maybe you were there after that time. The stall is against a wall, the east wall of the big area on ground floor with all the dried pork rinds, nuts, chips, etc.

In most of Chiang Mai city, the Ping River is to the east, and Doi Suthep is to the west. This applies at Warorot market as well. The spice merchant perhaps closes at 4 or 4:30 pm. Maybe you were there after that time. The stall is against a wall, the east wall of the big area on ground floor with all the dried pork rinds, nuts, chips, etc.

Great, thanks for clarifying. I explored the place pretty thoroughly but had no luck. There's a good chance they'd closed up for the day because it was quite late. Will give it another go. As stated in previous posts Spices Restaurant on Thapae Rd also sells Indian spices, ghee etc if that's any help to you.