1973 Cb750 Import From California

inasia69

I know this has been discussed before on newer bikes please bear with me.

I have a pristine cb750 with 12k on it in California (the bike looks like new and is all original) and as I read import duties and taxes for old bikes is quite lower than new ones.

Anyone have any experience on importing old bikes to Thailand.

I'm afraid a customs guy will take a fancy to it and make up a different fee than what is posted on the government website.

The bikes didn't cost more than $1500. back then.

Cheers!

Yes lots of experience with importing motorcycles. And I also directly want to warn you, a 1973 Honda CB750 is very likely not capable to meet the Thai exhaust emission and environmental tests, what means you never going to ride it legally in Thailand.

Thailand doesn't have an old-timer rule for classic motorcycles, so an 1973 motorcycle has to comply with the 2011 emission rules...

Richard has lot's of experience BUT never actually tells you how to do said import. I have always found that strange.

Actually Richard. Maybe you can PM the details of the guy that got the green book (registration) for your GPX (another bike that is impossible to pass Thai emission rules)

Op.. Richard is right.. it's really NOT worth trying.

Edited by thaicbr

I have seen such a bike advertised recently in Thailand but i forget which site .My advice sell your bike in the US ( or leave it in storage )and buy one here .Importing imposes 100% tax on bikes in Thailand .

By the time it is all said and done it is more like 150%.

Maybe I need to take back what I said about the Honda CB750 not be able to pass the Thai emission standard. The Honda CB750K3 was introduced in the mids of an oil crisis and according to some mechanics who have experience with classic motorcycles, the Honda CB750K3 has a good clean fuel-burn. Basically, the engine is a low-revving and low-compression ratio engine therefore the fuel has enough time to burn properly... So probably with a modified exhaust, which will include a catalytic converter you can pass the Thai emission standard.

Also don't take the scary postings of 100% or 150% import duty serious, you probably get 75% discount on the import duty, which leaves you with 5% import duty. Still the Excise Tax will be 30%, plus 10% Interior Tax and 7% standard sales tax.

You said that you can buy the CB750 for USD 1500, which currently translate roughly in 45,450 THB

Bike value + shipping 45,450 THB + 20,000 THB = 65,450 THB

Import Duty (5% with age discount) 272,50 THB

Excise Tax (30% ) 39,110.37 THB

Interior Tax 10,783.29 THB

Base Value of the Motorcycle 118,616.16 THB

Standard 7% Thai sales tax 8,303.13 THB

Total amount needed to pay 61,469.29 THB

Applying for a greenbook is a bit expensive, the bike is a 750cc so you probably look at an 80,000 THB fee, plus emission testing +/-30,000 THB.

Maybe I need to take back what I said about the Honda CB750 not be able to pass the Thai emission standard. The Honda CB750K3 was introduced in the mids of an oil crisis and according to some mechanics who have experience with classic motorcycles, the Honda CB750K3 has a good clean fuel-burn. Basically, the engine is a low-revving and low-compression ratio engine therefore the fuel has enough time to burn properly... So probably with a modified exhaust, which will include a catalytic converter you can pass the Thai emission standard.

Also don't take the scary postings of 100% or 150% import duty serious, you probably get 75% discount on the import duty, which leaves you with 5% import duty. Still the Excise Tax will be 30%, plus 10% Interior Tax and 7% standard sales tax.

You said that you can buy the CB750 for USD 1500, which currently translate roughly in 45,450 THB

Applying for a greenbook is a bit expensive, the bike is a 750cc so you probably look at an 80,000 THB fee, plus emission testing +/-30,000 THB.

I have always wondered why the book for imports was 80.000b but for the local bikes it's 900b. I suppose you have to buy lots of grease.

I have always wondered why the book for imports was 80.000b but for the local bikes it's 900b. I suppose you have to buy lots of grease.

It's related to the combustion size of the engine, a 400cc is around 40k, a 600cc is about 60k, a 1000cc is about 100k and after that the logic even escapes me....

Sorry to be negative,

Find an older one here and spend the money refurbishing it.

It will not be your old bike, it will not be pristine, it will not be a lot of things, but it will be yours, it will be here, it will be legal, and it will be a lot less expensive and a lot less hassle.

Sorry to be negative,

It will not be your old bike, it will not be pristine, it will not be a lot of things, but it will be yours, it will be here, it will be legal, and it will be a lot less expensive and a lot less hassle.

Sorry to be negative,

Having a classic motorcycle is more than just two-wheels that bring you from A to B. It's more than what your friends and family think, it's surely not something you buy because it's the cheapest option.

Great to see some useful info. What standard test is applied, Euro 3 or stricter ?

If you like the classic/retro style, you maybe interested to know that next month (or due to the floods a bit later) Royal Enfield will start selling motorcycles in Thailand. More classic style you cannot get...

Wow.. your correct.... they hope to launch at the Baensaen bike week if the weather permits.

which i do not think it will. I have a feeling that it's going to be cancelled as there will not be any hotel space for the bikers.

Edited by thaicbr