PM Yingluck Reveals Worse Case Scenario

Lite Beer

PM Reveals Worse Case Scenario; Bkk Sees 10 CM to 1.5 Meters of Flooding

UPDATE : 25 October 2011

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra addressed the nation in a televised speech confirming that northern runoff has indeed reached the capital. She admits that the volume of water is larger than the capacity of flood barriers and drainage systems can facilitate. However, she said the government is doing its best to minimize the impact, putting into use all tools to divert water into the West and the East.

Yingluck said the public and private sector are working together to divert water into the Thajeen River in the West. In the North, the Rangsit Canal is being utilized to its full capacity as water is channeled into the lower Hok Wa Canal.

However, with these mechanisms in place, some areas of Bangkok will inevitably see flooding. She stressed that, as eastern Bangkok is traditionally a flood way for the city, areas such as Meenburi and other eastern districts could see water of as high as one to 1.5 meters.

Residents in the North and West can expect to see 50 centimeters of flood water.

The possibility of inner city Bangkok floods will depend on if flood barriers hold. In the worst case scenario, the prime minister said that business districts would see 10 centimeters to 1.5 meters of water depending on the area. Various areas will not see the same level as some areas are lower than others.

Yingluck admitted that another worrying factor is the rising tide which is affecting the banks of the Chao Phraya River. Riverside communities and roads are the most at risk at this time.

The prime minister stressed that all residents should move their belongings to higher ground in preparation for a worst case scenario if flood barriers collapse.

Under such circumstances, the government will do its best to protect electricity and water distribution systems to make sure service is not disrupted.

However, if residents feel they would like to return to their home provinces or would like to leave Bangkok, the Transport and Interior ministries will facilitate flood victims who would like to relocate, either home or to provincial evacuation centers.

Prime Minister Yingluck went on to say that the Flood Relief Operations Center will be moving its donation center to the National Stadium to make it easy for people to donate without having to pass through flooding at the Don Mueang Airport.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-25

footer_n.gif

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The prime minister stressed that all residents should move their belongings to higher ground in preparation for a worst case scenario if flood barriers collapse.

Under such circumstances, the government will do its best to protect electricity and water distribution systems to make sure service is not disrupted.

However, if residents feel they would like to return to their home provinces or would like to leave Bangkok, the Transport and Interior ministries will facilitate flood victims who would like to relocate, either home or to provincial evacuation centers

Is this her way of saying get out before it's too late? :unsure:

Is "Meenburi" mentioned in the article the same place as the I've seen spelled "Minburi"?

Thanks

I am pretty sure it's the same place. I've seen it spelled both ways in several places and know of no other place with a similar name.

Beware that any donations you make to FROC will be repackaged before distributed to the needy with a picture of Thaksin (or other red-shirt superstar) on it. If you have no objections to that, then by all means proceed. Otherwise, find another worthwhile charitable organization to donate to.

Edited by tominbkk

Is "Meenburi" mentioned in the article the same place as the I've seen spelled "Minburi"?

Thanks

I am pretty sure it's the same place. I've seen it spelled both ways in several places and know of no other place with a similar name.

The sign at Suvarnabhumi bus terminal spells it "Meanburi".

Thais cannot get together on the spelling of a location.

Imagine their thought process for disasters!

I know for a FACT that ALL THAIS have known this was coming. For the last ten years farang have heard that Bangkok would be under water in ten years.

Nothing but laughs whenever I asked what preventive measures were being taken.

Sand bags DO NOT STOP MAJOR FLOODS I told them...and they laughed again.

However, if residents feel they would like to return to their home provinces or would like to leave Bangkok, the Transport and Interior ministries will facilitate flood victims who would like to relocate, either home or to provincial evacuation centers

i think it is .....

even if there is a risk of 1.5 mtre flooding, they should evacuate now !!!! , how will they get the masses out or delever food and water to these people when the floods hit !

I know for a FACT that ALL THAIS have known this was coming. For the last ten years farang have heard that Bangkok would be under water in ten years.

i posted in another topic, but if you read the wikileak cables from the US embassey, they predicted this lst year !

Anyone living in a low area with poor sewer drainage knows very well what a meter or 2 of water is like in and around your home or soi.

Add a raging river and rain and welcome to disaster.

Shoulda Woulda Coulda Government and Politicos.

i think it is .....

even if there is a risk of 1.5 mtre flooding, they should evacuate now !!!! , how will they get the masses out or delever food and water to these people when the floods hit !

Boat, ship, barge, raft, fleet?

Regarding the correct spelling of a location, don't forget this is Thailand and the correct way to spell it is using Thai script. For us farang it's put into English using phonetic spelling systems, and there are two or three approved ways of doing this. Take a look at a few different Thai-English Dictionaries and you will get an idea of the different ways Thai words can be spelled using English letters.

Well that's the grammar lesson for the night :jap:

I generally agree with all the rest of your post. ^_^

Beware that any donations you make to FROC will be repackaged before distributed to the needy with a picture of Thaksin (or other red-shirt superstar) on it. If you have no objections to that, then by all means proceed. Otherwise, find another worthwhile charitable organization to donate to.

Are you just venting or do you have evidence of this?

I have seen pictures of the relief goods trucks with the PTP banners and have read the rumours that the relief bags are distributed to Red Shirt people only, some as far as Chiang Mai.

So, you have proof?

i posted in another topic, but if you read the wikileak cables from the US embassey, they predicted this lst year !

Eventually we may be able read about this flood and get some better insight into what's really going on behind the scenes now .... if the (diplomatic) leaks continue. Maybe we will all look like fools then. :sick:

This is a man made disaster with very serious consequences for all Thais, I hope they are all happy chappies now with their choice of Prime Minister.. and government, who could not organise a piss-up in a brewery... now, what about that Royal Pardon for you-know-who..? enough to make you laugh..!!!

I have seen pictures of the relief goods trucks with the PTP banners and have read the rumours that the relief bags are distributed to Red Shirt people only, some as far as Chiang Mai.

So, you have proof?

There has been a number of posts of photos with relief goods and Thaksin banner with it. Check out some of the other threads.

Read the latest news release from the Bkk Gov here on TV.

Sukhumbhand is apparently urging people to leave town. And I think that's a very good idea.

They are building a 3.5 meter wall on the Chaopraya around that hospital and they aren't sure that will be high enough.

Regarding the correct spelling of a location, don't forget this is Thailand and the correct way to spell it is using Thai script. For us farang it's put into English using phonetic spelling systems, and there are two or three approved ways of doing this. Take a look at a few different Thai-English Dictionaries and you will get an idea of the different ways Thai words can be spelled using English letters.

Well that's the grammar lesson for the night :jap:

I generally agree with all the rest of your post. ^_^

If that is your grammar lesson I would hate to think what your phonics lesson would be like!

next spelling lesson: I believe you mean 'phonetics'

Thanks for the correction :) In a couple more hours and a few more beers I'll be spelling it "peanuts" :burp:

So, you have proof?

I have seen 4-5 pics of donations labeled with thaskin or other PTP pics on them, with wording to the effect that the donations are provided by said person. Big Thaksin posters are also showing up in areas that are in distress, that he will help them.

Eventually we may be able read about this flood and get some better insight into what's really going on behind the scenes now .... if the (diplomatic) leaks continue. Maybe we will all look like fools then. :sick:

Edited by FalangBaa

This is a man made disaster with very serious consequences for all Thais, I hope they are all happy chappies now with their choice of Prime Minister.. and government, who could not organise a piss-up in a brewery... now, what about that Royal Pardon for you-know-who..? enough to make you laugh..!!!

No, but enough to make me sick. I live in Minburi and 1,5 meters of water is comming. I am out of Thailand for the moment, and

my wife is out of Bangkok so we are safe. But I am worried for my neighbors and friends.

This government sucks, big time.

Why would they even care how it is spelled in our language???

Yur one of those guys that lives here but constantly bitches about Thais and is consistently calling them stupid right???

Have you got a Thai wife? and do you include her in your assessment of Thais? I do, and I am careful in what I say about Thai people and what I think about Thai people...... and people in general.

You guys should stop beating around on Yingluck and blaming her for the current flood crisis. She's just doing the best she can. You guys also don't know where the flood is going or where it will flood in 2-3 days. It's an ever-changing situation. If you guys know, then why don't you share it here? If you don't, then let her do her job.

You should blame whoever designed the drain-off systems and water canals in Bangkok and Thailand in general over the past few decades. Whoever the people are that designed those are responsible, not Yingluck who just became PM this year. Or are you suggesting she dug all the wrong-designed canals herself in the past few weeks?

Even in the times of worst crisis in Thailand, there are people that have nothing better to do than play the "blame it on the Shinawatras" game. Go out and help some people. I know I stood in knee-deep water all day helping others. It makes me sick to come home and read all this crap.