Bus Carrying Russian Tourists Crashes On Patong Hill; Many Injured

webfact

Phuket Breaking News: Bus crash on Patong Hill; many injured

PHUKET: -- A bus carrying 37 Russian tourists from Phuket International Airport has crashed on Patong Hill, injuring many passengers in the second such incident in four days in Phuket.

A Russian passenger told the Phuket Gazette that the bus – emblazoned with the company name "J-Siam Holiday Phuket Co" – was carrying 37 Russians, and four Thais: two tour guides, one driver and one assistant.

The group had just arrived in Phuket and were en route to the Duangjit Resort in Patong.

There have been no fatalities reported, while the exact number of injured and the extent of their injuries remain unclear.

A Thai woman who was on the bus when it crashed said it seemed as though the brakes failed as the bus descended a dangerous stretch of steep road leading into Patong.

The bus ran off the road and slightly downhill before coming to a stop in what appears to be a construction site.

A Phuket Gazette reporter is on the scene and will be giving updates as more information becomes available.

On Saturday, a bus carrying Chinese tourists overturned on the Chalong-Kata Hill road, killing one and sending 29 to the hospital with injuries.

The accident today took place near the spot where a tour bus went off the road earlier this year, killing one and injuring about 40.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=11292

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-10-26

A Thai woman who was on the bus when it crashed said it seemed as though the brakes failed as the bus descended a dangerous stretch of steep road leading into Patong.

The usual 'brakes failed' on the way down Patong hill. I wonder if any of these bus drivers have been taught to use a lower gear to assist the brakes when going down a steep hill.

Or... why don't we hear of brakes failing elsewhere, like all along the roads prior to the downhill.

Let's wait until we hear from the Russians about how fast he was driving.

Because there is no downhill there.

LIK is right, they just don't know how to brake on the gears, therefor overloading the brakes which leads to failures.

I was about to argue why they should have stricter rules, better traffic law education, and harder driver's license tests... then I realized it's pointless, as nothing will ever change, especially if it requires brains or effort.

Edited by jbhh

Two bus crashes in a week, no idea how many in all this year.

Disgraceful really but we know what will be done.

I hope this makes the agenda at the next Honorary Consulates' meeting to at least acknowledges the fact that foreign Governments are concerned with the standard of public service vehicle drivers in Phuket and Thailand in general.

Phuket bus crash driver blames brake failure

phuket-1-11295iSpQujxfyuImbWEYASknBvPcPY.jpg

phuket-4-11295sJAfKIJsUENUoHijcGGXHAiUxy.jpg

PHUKET: The driver of the Phuket tour bus full of Russian tourists that ran off the road on a steep curve heading into Patong this afternoon told police that brake failure caused the accident.

“The brakes failed. That’s what caused the crash,” said Nakrob Tiewtrakul, 42, from Ratchaburi, who suffered a deep cut on his forehead when the bus plowed into the side of a building under construction, ripping a gaping hole in the side of the bus.

Mr Nakrob said he has been a bus driver for more than 20 years. “I did not drink alcohol and I was still very much awake when the accident happened,” he told the Phuket Gazette.

“I wasn’t driving fast. I was going only about 20 kilometers an hour. When the brakes failed, I had to quickly choose the safest place to go to make the bus stop, injuring as few people as possible,” he added.

Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukbal told the Gazette that he believed brake failure was the culprit.

Regardless, Patong Police Superintendent Arayapan Pukbuakao told the Gazette that police were still continuing their investigation in the cause of the accident.

Patong Hospital Deputy Director Apantree Iamsakul said that 22 of the 41 passengers on the bus, mostly Russian tourists, were injured and taken to Patong Hospital.

“There were no fatalities in the accident,” she said.

“Four of the injured were later transferred to other hospitals,” she added.

Ms Snozhana Ganzyuk, 25, was transferred to Phuket International Hospital. She had a deep wound to her left leg that exposed the bone.

Ms Ganzyuk is still recovering at the hospital.

Mrs Pnuinka Belnepa, 40, was rushed to Bangkok Hospital Phuket in Phuket Town, where she is still recovering from her injuries. Staff at the hospital declined to disclose the extent of her injuries.

Mr Serqey Batoror, 36, and Ms Irina Sergova, 40, were also taken Bangkok Hospital Phuket. Staff there also declined to disclose the extent of their injuries, but did confirm that both were discharged from the hospital this afternoon.

A public information liaison person at Bangkok Hospital told the Gazette, “The insurance company told us that more people have yet to present themselves to our hospital for x-rays and further treatment.”

The other 18 injured tourists had all received treatment for light injuries and have returned to their hotel.

The Russian tourists arrived in Phuket this morning, the first day of their 16-day holiday on the island

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11295.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-10-26