Everyone Chill Out A Bit

cdnvic

Ok, we understand that this is a stressful time for people and tempers are short, but it's time to cool off and understand the gravity of the situation facing many of our members.

People from all over the flood zone are coming here looking for help and information that's important to the well being of themselves and their families. Others are watching from overseas as they worry about loved ones in the flood zone. This is not the time to bury important information under stupid arguments that nobody really cares about.

Over the years this community has seen everything from coups, to elections, floods, storms, and a tsunami that killed thousands, including a number of Thaivisa members. In those times people came together here and helped others, and got help for themselves, their families, and their Thai neighbours.

Now we're facing another crisis and it's important that everyone takes the chips off their shoulders, puts aside their personal politics, and does their best to help get out the most accurate information possible to help other members make the important decisions they need to make.

So please, chill out, stop the political arguments and help us be a valuable service during this crisis. The whole community will appreciate it.

:Thaiflag:

Well I live in Laki Si and the people couldn't be any more chilled out than they are.

Lots of men and boys are fishing in the canal coming from ChaengWattana with music blaring and beer Leo flowing (as if nothing was happening)

Kids in my street running riot till midnight last night, making a nuisance of themselves and neighbour (Cop) now has his tables set out in front of his house with ice Sangsom and Coke at the ready for his mates, all because it is a holiday.

Dumb and dumber

Amen.

We all have our opinions on this thing. A lot of it down to mismanagement and a general lack of understanding on how rapidly the climate is changing. If I were in a position to make a suggestion to the Government it would be to ensure that they have a standing committee of Thai and international experts on climate change in order to help anticipate future problems with water (shortages as well as flooding) and heat, as well as the effects on farming. I think this is now so important for Thailand and indeed every country. I know some peeps (of all colours and nationalities) have tried to make political capital from this - but what use is petty politics when we are faced (globally) with crises on the scale we have seen during the past few years?

So wise words from the OP.

I'm so chilled out it's like I'm floating.

+1

And I can't have beer as it is totally empty at the nearest LotusExp (the only place I dared to swim to).

Is it me or is the ad that popped up at the bottom of this thread is a little bit in bad taste considering the current circumstances..."PADI advertising diving courses...Learn to dive".....:rolleyes:

Well I live in Laki Si and the people couldn't be any more chilled out than they are.

Lots of men and boys are fishing in the canal coming from ChaengWattana with music blaring and beer Leo flowing (as if nothing was happening)

Kids in my street running riot till midnight last night, making a nuisance of themselves and neighbour (Cop) now has his tables set out in front of his house with ice Sangsom and Coke at the ready for his mates, all because it is a holiday.

Dumb and dumber

Same here..no flood and people wash thier cars 2 times a day as normal.

Amen.

We all have our opinions on this thing. A lot of it down to mismanagement and a general lack of understanding on how rapidly the climate is changing. If I were in a position to make a suggestion to the Government it would be to ensure that they have a standing committee of Thai and international experts on climate change in order to help anticipate future problems with water (shortages as well as flooding) and heat, as well as the effects on farming. I think this is now so important for Thailand and indeed every country. I know some peeps (of all colours and nationalities) have tried to make political capital from this - but what use is petty politics when we are faced (globally) with crises on the scale we have seen during the past few years?

So wise words from the OP.

There is also an element beyond the control of the government to consider. The Sonda Plate on which S.E. Asia sits has sunk in places in the last year, including in Thailand's Central Valley between Latitudes 13 (Bangkok) and 14 (Angtorng). 40% of Jakarta is now under sea level. But don't expect the Thai government to tell you this.

+1

And I can't have beer as it is totally empty at the nearest LotusExp (the only place I dared to swim to).

I can put up with a lot - but no beer my buddah!!!!

wodka

wine

wiskey

anything?

+1

I can put up with a lot - but no beer my buddah!!!!

wodka

wine

wiskey

anything?

Water. Just a raw water, mate.

But (a bright side) - LOTS of water...:bah:

post-132952-0-80081400-1319628248_thumb.

+1

Is that masses of lady towels though? That should keep some tempers under control :passifier:

Well said, Victoria man. While keywords and lots of user-generated content are important for such a site, the constant political drivel is draggin it down somewhat and enough to make a mother eat her young... get on that delete button. ;)

Agreed, I'm coming to Thailand on holiday soon and have been trying to find out some facts about what's happening, but every thread soon seems submerged (sorry about the choice of words) under politicking.

Also, while I respect everyone's entitled to their opinions on what the govt should have done, do we actually have any experts on massive-scale civil engineering, disaster management or the like posting on here? I'd actually be very interested in their views.

Why don't we create a "chill out" thread. After a hard day at work (given you still can swimm to the office) or some exhausting bickering and fingerpointing, we come and relax. "Enemies becom friends, when bitterness ends" as it says in "God is a DJ". We could share jokes (no politics), advise (this pub is still open and they have "buy 1 get 1 free" on mineral water!!) or usefull ideas like "Chips & Shampoo- dishes from 7eleven leftovers".

This might be fun!

YES, chill out definitely !! let focus on the useful information and help each other.

BUT, we also need a thread that we could express our concerns, anger, opinions, tears, and more . . .

good luck to you all

Chill out? :blink:

I wish so but i think the phrase chill out isnt the best phrase to use right now.

Anyway a couple of beers will make me chill tonight but tomorrow who knows?

Seems like possible bad times ahead. Wont be chilling stuck upstairs for a few weeks with no power (worst case scenerio of course)

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for this post.

Trying to keep up with events, I find myself subjected to the most ridiculous armchair pronouncements. Without bias, most of these opportunists are of the anti-Thaksin persuasion.

If you think I am exaggerating, you have not been reading these threads.

i 100% agree with the posters sentiments, and he's completely right

i fully agree with his point of view.... now is certainly not the time for political stone throwing

the thing is a lot of the threads being created are based on politics...whether subtly or not, and imho are orchestrated to conjur up political debate, as i'm sure the op is totally aware

i hereby promise to not bring up any political issues in any flood related threads from here on, unless in response to someone else turning it into a political issue.

it's a national, humanitarian issue... not a political issue.

Edited by nurofiend