Confused About Coconuts

james24

They are "old" and used to make curries.

The "cooked" ones have had the husk burned off, personally I don't care for the flavor of these.

The standard 'green' coconut is the best for drinking and may or may not have enough meat inside to eat, these will usually yield between 200-500ml...... open and drink, they go off within 30mins,.

Consider consuming at least one everyday while you stay in Banana-Land'

Cheers

The green ones are reputed to keep kidney stones away and I have had kidney stones on numerous occasions in past years. Since I started drinking fresh coconuts regularly, I have only had some small kidney stones on a few occasions when I stopped and the pain (and the stones) went away as soon as I started drinking coconuts again.

The green ones are reputed to keep kidney stones away and I have had kidney stones on numerous occasions in past years. Since I started drinking fresh coconuts regularly, I have only had some small kidney stones on a few occasions when I stopped and the pain (and the stones) went away as soon as I started drinking coconuts again.

Sounds like an effective cure. Thanks.

How many coconuts do you drink a day or a week?

I try to drink one every day as they are full of potassium (helps lower blood pressure), they are full of natural electrolytes and taste good too.

The "cooked" ones have had the husk burned off, personally I don't care for the flavor of these.

The standard 'green' coconut is the best for drinking and may or may not have enough meat inside to eat, these will usually yield between 200-500ml...... open and drink, they go off within 30mins,.

Cheers

What are the benefits of coconut milk other than curing kidney stones and is there a high sugar content.

The coconut provides a nutritious source of meat, juice, milk, and oil that has fed and nourished populations around the world for generations. On many islands coconut is a

staple in the diet and provides the majority of the food eaten. Nearly one third of the world's population depends on coconut to some degree for their food and their economy. Among these cultures the coconut has a long and respected history.

much more about benefits: http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Cheers

But I think they maybe the cooked ones then as the brown ones from the hawkers do look like they have had the husk burnt off.

The old ones are hairt right, to be honest Ive never seen hairy coconuts here except my own :-) (sorry bad joke)

The problem with eating the green coconut (mao pao ong?) lies in trying to open it up when you buy a bunch of them for home. Too lazy to do it. It would certainly be nice if there's a store or street vendor whom you pass everyday. Are there instruments designed for this purpose beside a cleaver?

The problem with eating the green coconut (mao pao ong?) lies in trying to open it up when you buy a bunch of them for home. Too lazy to do it. It would certainly be nice if there's a store or street vendor whom you pass everyday. Are there instruments designed for this purpose beside a cleaver?

Most street vendors have them. Ice cold. They'll chop it for you too! 15-25 bt from most

Edited by james24

all it takes is a few hacks with a machete

Most street vendors have them. Ice cold. They'll chop it for you too! 15-25 bt from most

That's what I mean, James.....Re:" It would certainly be nice if there's a store or street vendor whom you pass everyday."

all it takes is a few hacks with a machete

Well, may be easy for you Dante but I ain't like the guy in the movie Machete.

p.s: I wanted to put this quote in the same location as my last post to James but couldn't get the multiquote function to work. I must have erred somewhere.

I'm sooo happy that the quality has gone back up and the price back down to pre-blight levels. I eat at least one a day and when I do so my leg tendons stop hurting completely. I use a cleaver to open them. Mind you I don't hold the coconut with one hand while I chop with the other, no way. I set it on the counter first. After being in the fridge they are harder to open but more delicious. I use a 10-baht tool all the vendors have to scrape the meat out. Got it at Makro. Then I toss it outside and hack it up with a machete and use it as mulch (my jackfruit and moringa trees seem to thrive with it) or put it in the compost. Hacking with a machete is so primal. Love it. I bought a whetstone and found a YouTube video on how to sharpen things with it.

The 'green' coconuts can be a touch labour intensive to open, I use a very sharp Thai-style jungle machete (40cm blade).

1st. find a hard surface to support the coconut as you take the top husk off - I "saw" the thick husk layers off until I reach the 'eyes' of the coconut , then carefully trim the remaining husk from the top. No need to completely de-husk the coconut, only the upper quarter-half.

2nd. This is where it takes a bit of practice.... pick-up coconut in one hand and carefully whack off with the machete the first layer of coconut shell around the 'eyes'.... revealing, BUT, not breaking through the flesh of the coconut.

The Thai's say that if the steel blade of the machete touches the juice touch it will turn sour.

At this point you can stab the flesh with a straw and consume the juice or take a wooden spoon and circle out a hole in the meat and pour the contents into a glass container. I do this so I can mix the entire coconut with freshly made carrot juice.

3rd. back to the hard surface (not a table) lay the coconut down,eye's facing up, and again with a whack or two split it down the middle like a log of wood - rinse out the center and scrape out the meat with a spoon - de-lish!

The entire coconut/palm tree is the most amazing utilitarian gift from nature - Do partake daily in the best source of organic water you will find anywhere. The best tasting coconuts by far will likely be found in your wife or relatives village.

Cheers

I try to drink one every day as they are full of potassium (helps lower blood pressure), they are full of natural electrolytes and taste good too.

Have you tried coconuts anonymous?

Thanks to you guys describing the benefits of the mao pao ong. Came back from the fresh market just now and picked up 4. Wanted to get more but it was quite heavy and a long walk to the car. Everything seemed normal and no shortage of anything though eggs seemed to be getting scarce. 30 # 2 eggs for B145, not bad at all. We bought some pork chops, spare ribs, beef, ground pork and various kinds of vegetable. Prices seem as normal times.

Now I have to hack these suckers. Of course I need to hack two or my wife would be very blunt and say to me: what good are a big man like you?... No man would let that happen, right?:rolleyes:

post-137105-0-09861500-1319962759_thumb.

• 2 months later...

Lately I've been getting a lot of coconuts with hard meat inside, which I like, but hard meat is harder to scrape out if you only have a several centimeter hole at the top to work from. So, I've been splitting them in half after drinking the water by,

1) place the coconut hole facing up, flat part down on a counter or cutting board.

2) with a sharp cleaver strike down on one side of the coconut

3) strike down again on the opposite side

4) tear open with hands

5) scoop out the meat

Don't try this if you are not comfortable vigorously swinging a cleaver. The cleaver must be sharp. With this method I can leave my machete outside, which in my case is good since it's kind of rusty.