More Bangkok Districts Warned To Evacuate As River Continues To Rise

webfact

More districts warned to evacuate as river continues to rise

The Nation

30168765-01.jpg

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra on Friday instructed 13 districts located along the banks of Chao Phraya River to closely monitor the water situation and brace for emergency evacuation.

Sukhumbhand said based on Friday’s hydrology forecast, the Chao Phraya will likely rise to more than 2.50 metres, triggering overflow in several areas.

High tides will exacerbate the water level from Saturday to Monday.

Yesterday saw the Chao Phraya River peak at 2.42 metres.

The city administration has been implementing an emergency evacuation order covering four districts, Don Mueang, Sai Mai, Bang Phlat and Thawee Wattana, particularly the Thammasop area.

The inundation in Sai Mai has risen by an additional 15 centimetres in the last 24 hours. The floodwater in Thawee Wattana rose additional 16 centimetres.

Thawee Watthana’s flood defence is weakest at two major canals, Mahasawat and Thawee Wattana, where there is no permanent levee to deter the water flow.

In Bang Phlat, the inundation varies from one meter to 70 centimetres.

Due to the rising floodwaters, services including relief operations at Don Mueang district office have been relocated to Lak Si district office.

The Navy’s Hydrology Department issued a daily forecast saying the Chao Phraya River would swell to 2.57 meters at 8.03am on Friday and to 2.44 meters at 5.52pm.

The river’s water level would vary from 2.60 to 2.65 metres from Saturday to Monday.

Transport Minister Sukumpol Suwannatat said the government is expected Friday afternoon to finalise its decision whether to demolish certain sections of five main roads in eastern Bangkok in order to speed up the drainage into the sea via Samut Prakan.

In northern Bangkok, the flood continues to spread via Phaholyothin and Vibhavadi-Rangsit roads. In certain areas, the inundation rose to 1.2 metres.

The overflow from the Hok Wa Canal in Sai Mai has started to inundate Soi Watcharaphol.

The water is seeping toward Chaeng Wattana Road but has not yet reached it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-28

Inching to all parts of the city slowly but surely. Now if dykes break anywhere its crises there. If you want to ride this craze out for the next two months good luck. Looks like a slow train wreck. Supply lines are being cut slowly to choke the city off in the weeks to come. Get out now easily while u can otherwise youll say " i wish i coulda woulda but didnt" good luck Kokers.

Inching to all parts of the city slowly but surely. Now if dykes break anywhere its crises there. If you want to ride this craze out for the next two months good luck. Looks like a slow train wreck. Supply lines are being cut slowly to choke the city off in the weeks to come. Get out now easily while u can otherwise youll say " i wish i coulda woulda but didnt" good luck Kokers.

sounds to me like you've been sniffin'a kok'a up yur nose'a, now go choka offa

Rubbish. I went shopping today and the supermarket was almost fully stocked. Most areas of BKK are fine. Count to 10 and try to calm down.

OH MY GOD, Oh my god, oh my god!!!! The sky is falling!

For whatever happens this weekend, I think the water levels in the inner city won't be serious by mid next week. It's the suburbs and outlying districts (mostly those far from the river) that will suffer from the extended flooding .... take this with a grain of salt because I'm no hydrology expert ... just based upon my experience from the previous great floods in Bangkok, which may be irrelevant. Who knows?

Is there any data, if the water level is still rising _behind_ the Bangkok barriers? I think that would be the most important figure at the moment.

What a wimp!!

This is why the sky really is falling. The graph below shows the tide info for the Chao Phraya for the recent past and immediate future. If you look carefully you can see that the maximum tide is continuing to increase and for tomorrows high tide in the morning the river is projected to generally exceed the river barriers for the first time. As barrier heights are not absolutely consistent there will of course be some variability. But the worst is yet to come!!!

You still have a few hours to make up your minds on whether or not you really wish to stay. Tomorrow may be to late.

post-116788-0-70914300-1319808098_thumb.

Rubbish. I went shopping today and the supermarket was almost fully stocked. Most areas of BKK are fine. Count to 10 and try to calm down.

You're there and I'm not, so I ask this question to learn and NOT to make a point. I really don't know the answer. I'm upcountry and I've never seen so many cars with Bangkok plates travelling away from the city. This has been going on for days. Do you think it's possible that the reason the Chicken Littles are seeming to be wrong is actually because there are so many of them? In other words, do you think that the reason the supermarket shelves are not bare is because there's barely anyone left to buy them out?

There is a great possibility that there will be many floating markets around to sell food and some essential items, besides if people haven't stocked up already, or have already eaten their supplies then it is their fault. We have our supplies and are eating out for every meal to save what we have.

Jerry555, please get a grip, obviously you don't know the first thing about fluid dynamics, shallow rivers don't flood deeper than deep ones as water will always try to find the lowest level possible, shallow rivers just run faster.

"Big cleaning day" in Nakorn Sawan & Phitsanulok municipalities where situation has improved dramatically. Phichit, Sukhothai almost normal./@terryfrd

There's light at the end of the tunnel !!!!!! After the Big Surge passes thru :partytime2::intheclub:

Uhm, Phitsanulok 400 Km up-North, NakhonSawan 200+ Km up-North. There may be light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm in Bangkok

Fair play to all Bangkok residents who need to stay to work or try to protect their homes but shouldn't the party people on Koh Sahn and around really be getting out before they become even more of a drain on limited resources? A picture yesterday of a couple happily taking pics of her becomingly posed mid calf in water in front of the Grand Palace made me feel like bashing their vacuous heads together. Do they have a clue?

I'm due to arrive in Bangkok in a couple of weeks as I have a course to attend in Chiang Mai ( fees and air fare all paid and non refundable). Instead of trying to holiday as planned for a few days in Bangkok I'm now flying straight up on Air asia. However I'll cancel and lose all the money if the situation is still so desperate that my seat on that plane prevents someone from getting their granny safely away.

I doubt Bangkok needs 'Gung Ho' tourists wasting emergency services time being rescued once they find themselves up to their arse in filthy water.

Fair play to all Bangkok residents who need to stay to work or try to protect their homes but shouldn't the party people on Koh Sahn and around really be getting out before they become even more of a drain on limited resources? A picture yesterday of a couple happily taking pics of her becomingly posed mid calf in water in front of the Grand Palace made me feel like bashing their vacuous heads together. Do they have a clue?

I'm due to arrive in Bangkok in a couple of weeks as I have a course to attend in Chiang Mai ( fees and air fare all paid and non refundable). Instead of trying to holiday as planned for a few days in Bangkok I'm now flying straight up on Air asia. However I'll cancel and lose all the money if the situation is still so desperate that my seat on that plane prevents someone from getting their granny safely away.

I doubt Bangkok needs 'Gung Ho' tourists wasting emergency services time being rescued once they find themselves up to their arse in filthy water.

Even gunfire won't get rid of backpackers. They'll leave when it shuts.

Jerry555, please get a grip, obviously you don't know the first thing about fluid dynamics, shallow rivers don't flood deeper than deep ones as water will always try to find the lowest level possible, shallow rivers just run faster.

you dun got that wrong

<br />Fair play to all Bangkok residents who need to stay to work or try to protect their homes but shouldn't the party people on Koh Sahn and around really be getting out before they become even more of a drain on limited resources? A picture yesterday of a couple happily taking pics of her becomingly posed mid calf in water in front of the Grand Palace made me feel like bashing their vacuous heads together. Do they have a clue? <br /><br />I'm due to arrive in Bangkok in a couple of weeks as I have a course to attend in Chiang Mai ( fees and air fare all paid and non refundable). Instead of trying to holiday as planned for a few days in Bangkok I'm now flying straight up on Air asia. However I'll cancel and lose all the money if the situation is still so desperate that my seat on that plane prevents someone from getting their granny safely away. <br />I doubt Bangkok needs 'Gung Ho' tourists wasting emergency services time being rescued once they find themselves up to their arse in filthy water.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

As Corporal Jones of Dad's army would say Don't panic Don't panic because in most of Bangers there aint any flooding!!!!I am looking out of my downtown Bangers appartment can't see a drop. Some people seem devoid of any common sense and don't realize that most of the flood reporting is complete and utter crap designed to be sensationalist and to blag the dim.

As Corporal Jones of Dad's army would say Don't panic Don't panic because in most of Bangers there aint any flooding!!!!I am looking out of my downtown Bangers appartment can't see a drop. Some people seem devoid of any common sense and don't realize that most of the flood reporting is complete and utter crap designed to be sensationalist and to blag the dim.

Try to get out of that downtown Bangers appartment abit...

<br />Fair play to all Bangkok residents who need to stay to work or try to protect their homes but shouldn't the party people on Koh Sahn and around really be getting out before they become even more of a drain on limited resources? A picture yesterday of a couple happily taking pics of her becomingly posed mid calf in water in front of the Grand Palace made me feel like bashing their vacuous heads together. Do they have a clue? <br /><br />I'm due to arrive in Bangkok in a couple of weeks as I have a course to attend in Chiang Mai ( fees and air fare all paid and non refundable). Instead of trying to holiday as planned for a few days in Bangkok I'm now flying straight up on Air asia. However I'll cancel and lose all the money if the situation is still so desperate that my seat on that plane prevents someone from getting their granny safely away. <br />I doubt Bangkok needs 'Gung Ho' tourists wasting emergency services time being rescued once they find themselves up to their arse in filthy water.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You live there and are not prancing about on holiday. Your choice and no doubt will sit it out with candles, a crate of Chang and a pot noodle perfectly well.

Backpackers/tourists can only be a load the city doesn't need if they're scoffing all the eggs for their AB and demanding medical treatment once their feet go manky from paddling in shallow flood water with all its delightful additions.

Does anyone remember the whinging fuss made by the like during the Tsunami aftermath because they couldn't go to Koh Lak for their beach time after all? Not to mention the breast beating when the internet goes too slow to send home their pics of 'braving' being nowhere near the areas that were hit then and are now.

There's far too much important work for any services available to cope with all round the City and suburbs where flooding is causing real hardship for Thais. Resources shouldn't be wasted to babysit this lot.

I saw this notice on The Nation's website front page:

ShelterBox is handing out relief-item boxes to flood-hit Thais. Each box includes mosquito net, big tent, blanket, portable water purifier and kitchen utensils. Those in need of the survival kits provided by ShelterBox should call 085-1401837.

Looks like a worthy endeavour for helping those affected by floods.

"Big cleaning day" in Nakorn Sawan & Phitsanulok municipalities where situation has improved dramatically. Phichit, Sukhothai almost normal./@terryfrd

There's light at the end of the tunnel !!!!!! After the Big Surge passes thru :partytime2::intheclub:

Uhm, Phitsanulok 400 Km up-North, NakhonSawan 200+ Km up-North. There may be light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm in Bangkok

Today Ayutthaya's levels are dropping .... be patient.

You don't have to worry about bashing their heads in because they will probably have severe skin infections within 48 hours.

Great Avatar Viathias! To the poster who said that the reports flooding were sensationalist, you're welcome to come and walk on water here in Don Muang where I have been confined to the house for nearly a week.

There is a great possibility that there will be many floating markets around to sell food and some essential items, besides if people haven't stocked up already, or have already eaten their supplies then it is their fault. We have our supplies and are eating out for every meal to save what we have.

And even faster if you put a 1,000 boats at full power to pump the water downstream.:whistling: