Tourist Visa

Could someone please help. Im from the UK. Before i came to Thailand i bought a Tourist Visa which would allow me to be here for 60 days. At the same time i bought 4 Entries at a cost equiavlent to 1700Bhat per entry. Therefore i can be here for a total of 6 months (60 days+30+30+30+30).

After the initial 60 days why do i have to leave the country every 30 days when i have bought the right to be here? Do i have to cross the border to activate each entry or can i just go to immigration office?

In addition to this what was the benefit of me buying the 4 entries when i hear of people just going to the local Immigration Office and paying 1900Bhat for 30 day extensions?

Thanks

Not quite sure what you mean here.

Did you get a Quadruple entry visa? If so that is most unusual.

If you did you can stay 4 x 60 days, leaving every 60 days.

The normal re-entry permit allowing you to leave and return on the same

visa stamp period is nornally only available inside Thailand?

If you did get the multiple re-entry permit in Thailand this will allow you to go and

come 4 times within the 60 days you were given on arrival, just that.

It does not extend the visa at all.

You can however apply for a 30 day extension near the end of your initial 60 days.

Edited by astral

Gazza1.........sounds to me as though you made a cockup when you applied for the Tourist visa.

A Tourist visa is issued with a validity in which it can be used..........3 months from the date of issue in the case of a single entry or 6 months in the case of a double/triple/quadruple entry.

So lets assume your visa has 4 entries on it and was issued 1st November you have 6 months from that date to utilise all 4 entries i.e approx 1st May next year

Lets say you land November 10th you/ll recieve a 60 day stay (using the first entry up) near the end of this 60 day stay you can go to local immigration in Thailand and extend it by 30 days for 1900 baht once this 30 day stay is up you need to do what is known as a border run...........you exit and re-enter Thailand ,when you re-enter you will recieve a further 60 day stay (using the second entry on your visa up) this stay can be extended by 30 days again locally.

Now you/ll see we are looking at 180 days or approx 6 months stay already..........if you were to try to exit and re-enter again you would be unable to use the third entry on your visa as the visa itself would of expired on 1st May.

In short if you were only coming for a 6 month stay a double entry would of sufficed.............

Axel ..............Hull Thai Consulate in the UK used to issue 4 entry Tourist visa's valid for a year but they have stopped now, limiting the validity to 6 months in line with everyone else.

Edit...........Gazza better add you must re-enter (the last time) Thailand before the validity of the visa is used up..............i.e the date on the visa not the date immigration stamps in your passport.

Edited by thaiflyer1

1. You can enter 4 time and remain up to 60 days each entry (last entry must be made prior to expiry of visa period but entry can extend beyond).

2. You must exit country each time to activate a new stay - you could obtain an extension of stay from immigration for 30 days at a cost of 1,900 baht but this should not be required if you do not plan visits less than 60 days.

3. The advantage of 4 over 3 would be if you need to exit country to visit another and return in a short period. If you do the math believe 1,700 baht for 60 days is a lot cheaper than 1,900 baht for 30 (especially if you plan to cross borders anyhow).

4. After the first 60 day stay you exit and return to obtain a new 60 day stay until you use the 4 entries or your visa expires.

Would add for the OP you can only get one 30 day extension for each 60 day on entry - ie each entry is for a maximum of 90 days.

(OK you can get 10 days whilst a further extension is considered but that costs 1,900 more - bit expensive.)