Bangkok's West May Face Metre-Deep Flood

webfact

City's west may face metre-deep flood

The Nation

30168815-01.jpg

Chao Phraya set to brim over in many areas; flood barriers breached in several places

The west of Bangkok faces the risk of being under a metre of water in the next few days, a senior official from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) said.

"The water will likely cover the entire western zone of Bangkok, with the level ranging between 50 centimetres and one metre," Chainat Niyomthoon, deputy director of the BMA Drainage and Sewerage Department, said yesterday.

Chainat said the Maha Sawas Canal is about to brim over and all the BMA can do is encourage people to evacuate.

Bangkok's western zone lies on the Thon Buri side of the Chao Phraya River.

Many areas of the Thawee Watthana district, which is on the Thon Buri side of the river, were already submerged and residents of the Sala Thammasop subdistrict were ordered to evacuate on Thursday.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra yesterday also hinted at the possibility of evacuating more areas. "We may order evacuation in the Thawee Watthana subdistrict as well," he said.

The evacuations had to be ordered because the embankments built to control the millions of cubic metres of water heading for Bangkok seem to be damaged in many places. For instance, the sandbag barrier at the Puranawas Temple has already crumbled down.

Apart from the run-off from upstream provinces, the Chao Phraya River also looks likely to overflow.

Sukhumbhand said the river's level would likely rise between 2.5 and 2.6 metres above sea level this morning. The Chao Phraya River swelled beyond the 2.5-metre-high embankment in many parts of Bangkok yesterday morning, giving the residents a taste of what they can expect.

The water flowed into some inner zones of the capital such as Charoenkrung and Maharaj roads.

A part of Charoenkrung Road, leading from Soi Charoenkrung 35 to Yaowaraj, was impassable to cars.

In addition, areas around the Phrachan and Tha Chang piers also bore the brunt, with floods on Maharat and Phrachan roads rising to nearly one metre very quickly.

Water from Chao Phraya River also flowed into Na Phra That Road, going towards the City Pillar shrine and then the Supreme Court. A part of the Arun-Amarin Road that leads to Siriraj Hospital was also under chest-high floods.

"The situation is worrying," Sukhumbhand admitted.

Floods have already ravaged many parts of the capital even without the high tide. Run-offs from upstream provinces are now breaching flood barriers and wreaking havoc in northern Bangkok. Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road in front of Don Mueang Airport has been closed to traffic due to flooding.

The raging run-offs are also filling many canals to the brim, and the torrent flowing into Phra Khanong Canal cracked a 15-metre stretch of the embankment, flooding local communities, such as the Suan Sai Community, which was under chest-high water. Sukhumvit Sois 50, 54 and 56 were also inundated.

"We have already fixed the problem," Khlong Toei District Office director Acharawadee Chaisuwirat said.

So far, about 8,205 Bangkokians have sought shelter in 81 evacuation centres in 20 districts across the capital.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-29

So is the Asia highway passable in Ayuttaya?

This is important because i live there (now Im an evacuee) and if the highway's clear, we can get to Big C and Lotus.

Check out the other newspaper.

Google "Asia Highway open to traffic"

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

flood.htm

Made this file with the help of another TV-er.

can see Chaopraya and canals clearly. Lardprao canal rises and falls with chaopraya

Thanks so much, this is the most useful information I have seen by far. Great job.

Edited by Smee

they have stopped all surgerys at the provincial hospitals except emergncy in northern thailand

they sat that they are short on medical supplies like IV sets

doecn't thailand have an airforce that can deliver these needed medical supplies to the hospital in the north

then they could start distrubiting these supplies to the south also

this just seems like common sence to me

"According to an unnameable source bus service to the North and Northeast has resumed. Apparently the roads around Ayutthaya are ok for northbound traffic. Southbound traffic to Bangkok is still blocked by water."

A friend's wife returned to Hua Hin from Korat yesterday in 13 hours, and the bus apparently went all over the place. I need to drive from Hua Hin to Korat sometime soon, which means using either the western ring road (probably bad) or the eastern ring road (possibly better) to get on the Mitraparp Road and past Wang Noi. Once past there it seems fairly clear. Question: does anyone have any up date information on this route?

My house is behind Central Pinklao, just north of the Bangkok Noi canal. The whole area is already flooded with 50 cm to 1 m deep water.

Most of the news attention has been on Charan Sanitwong towards Rama VII bridge. Very few TV crews have ventured this far south. Perhaps the water is too deep and smelly for them. Newspaper journalists would rather make stories up in their offices rather than get their feet wet, as we have seen.

they have stopped all surgerys at the provincial hospitals except emergncy in northern thailand

doecn't thailand have an airforce that can deliver these needed medical supplies to the hospital in the north

This is bad news. My wife's aunt and 4-year old nephew are in hospital in Nakhon Sawan after being attacked and bitten by a black and yellow snake, possibly a cobra or a krait, in their recently unflooded (after almost 3 months) house yesterday afternoon. I hope they are getting the treatment they need...

How the Hell can we who live here in Thailand, really believe these incompetent so called, “Government officials such as Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra and the current PM of Thailand”. They both contract themselves on every point and don’t think.

Leave it to the people to interpret what they see and need to do.

Reminds me of the movie, Planet of the Apes,” where the apes think they are smarter than everyone else.

Yeah nice one.

I'm working with my band at Sheraton Asoke tonight. This will help a lot. Before I saw this, I wasn't sure about Petchaburi. Thanks a million!!

flood.htm

can see Chaopraya and canals clearly. Lardprao canal rises and falls with chaopraya

Thanks so much, this is the most useful information I have seen by far. Great job.

flood.htm

Skippy. thats excellent..well done to you both.. can i ask if you can put on the cameras that cover the exit roads. like the big c om yai camera at highway 4 and the other bkk exit routes. Then people can see how easy it is to leave.

well done again.

flood.htm

Skippy. thats excellent..well done to you both.. can i ask if you can put on the cameras that cover the exit roads. like the big c om yai camera at highway 4 and the other bkk exit routes. Then people can see how easy it is to leave.

well done again.

Great link thanks

flood.htm

Since those are NOT live video feeds -- they are simply a looping video of still shots -- do you know how often they are updated?

(For those not convinced it's not live, it's most easily seen in the lower right video where you can see the traffic light count down timer.)

This is bad news. My wife's aunt and 4-year old nephew are in hospital in Nakhon Sawan after being attacked and bitten by a black and yellow snake, possibly a cobra or a krait, in their recently unflooded (after almost 3 months) house yesterday afternoon. I hope they are getting the treatment they need...

Either one would be bad, but especially the Krait

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungarus

Sorry to hear about that, and hope they can get the anti-venom they need.

Skippy.

Many thanks for a fine link, a fine help in these stressful times.

Among other things the wife and I operate a small transport company (7 vehicles,) our drivers have been returning telling us that they have had few problems as indeed their time sheets and the vehicle fuel consumption and kilometers covered show us. We like our drivers have been able to help supply our and their neighbors with supplies too.

One is indeed led to wonder as to what information is coming from who, and why , our Thai staff reckon it's in the main a pack of lies in many cases

F.R.O.C. indeed seems to be on a, " Nodding acquaintance with the truth."

flood.htm

Since those are NOT live video feeds -- they are simply a looping video of still shots -- do you know how often they are updated?

(For those not convinced it's not live, it's most easily seen in the lower right video where you can see the traffic light count down timer.)

Thanks for that. I was beginning to think it was me. But if they are updated on a regular basis. That would be a great help?

jb1

flood.htm

Excellent information. Thanks.

The whole page is false the changing images are just a repeated sequence and are not live at all.

Is this a joke?:annoyed:

Have you never seen a radar loop that is a series of clips updated at a set interval??????

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

flood.htm

Excellent information. Thanks.

The problem is not that!

Look at the images ... you will see the same cars in the same spot. they are all 4 or 5 stills rotating the same images over and over. Use your eyes.

Even when you go to the original scorce at True Traffy its the same. http://info.traffy.i...fy-social-eyes/

ITS NOT WORKING. Look at it.:realangry:

Have you never seen a radar loop that is a series of clips updated at a set interval??????

The problem is not that!

Look at the images ... you will see the same cars in the same spot. they are all 4 or 5 stills rotating the same images over and over. Use your eyes.

Even when you go to the original scorce at True Traffy its the same. http://info.traffy.i...fy-social-eyes/

ITS NOT WORKING. Look at it.:realangry:

Edited by newermonkey