Thai Soldiers Held Over Deaths Of Chinese Sailors

webfact

When foreigners of western nationalities get murdered a cloak of silence and obfuscation seems to descend preventing in many cases anyone being convicted or the crime even being investigated, the same problem does not seem to have presented itself in the case of Chinese victims. <_< I have little doubt someone with great power and influence is involved if we are looking at drug smuggling across borders so I surmise that to overcome such influence to secure prosecutions China must have issued some pretty serious threats, all behind the veil of diplomacy of course.

Maybe they brought thumbscrews - at least we know why Chalerm has been MIA for the last week!

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2011-10/25/c_122193165.htm

Seems like a most unfortunate choice of words in the caption.

The "Vice" guy from China meets with the "Vice" guy from Thailand.

Well I guess , like the Chiang Mai authorities would say, "just a coincidence"

:rolleyes:

Nothing to do with the Thai army other than the fact that they are soldiers in the Thai army. Otherwise no connection of course.

When your NOT at work are you working...NO.

He meant it was not the Thai Army that did the killings. It was soldiers doing their own thing.

It has alot to do with the Thai Army. They are Thai soldiers using Thai military training, equipment and tactics to conduct 'extra' [illegal] activities for personel gain. It also shows that the Thai Army has no control over thier soldiers .Some in upper ranks may even have knowledge that such activities are being conducted by thier subordinates.

It has alot to do with the Thai Army. They are Thai soldiers using Thai military training, equipment and tactics to conduct 'extra' [illegal] activities for personel gain. It also shows that the Thai Army has no control over thier soldiers .Some in upper ranks may even have knowledge that such activities are being conducted by thier subordinates.

They may not have been acting without orders; it could have been a sanctioned operation to eliminate drug traffickers, but who knows the real story at this point?

Just saw that there will be an upper-level meeting in Beijing on this subject tomorrow. Some high-ranking Burmese general just showed up. The coverage has moved up to the lead story on China Central Television.

Nine Thai troops surrender over deaths of 13 Chinese crew

Premier Wen Jiabao on Saturday urged Thailand to conduct a speedy trial of nineThai soldiers who killed 13 Chinese crew members of two cargo ships on the Mekong River.

In a phone conversation with his Thai counterpart Yingluck Shinawatra, Wen urged the Thaigovernment to punish the criminals according to the law.

The soldiers turned themselves in to police on Friday, Thai police said on Sunday.

The two Chinese ships, the Hua Ping and Yu Xing 8, were attacked on the Mekong River nearthe Thai-Myanmar border on Oct 5.

The premier also called for the establishment of a joint law enforcement and securitymechanism between China, Thailand, Laos and Myanmar, to ensure navigational safety on theMekong River.

Yingluck expressed sorrow over the murder of the crew members and promised that hergovernment would find out the truth about the tragedy and hold the killers accountable.

From China Daily:

http://www.chinadail...nt_14004263.htm

Edited by chaoyang

It could have been Sannan who has more contacts and credibility with the military.

Sanan was Dep PM in the Abhisit govt. After the election he resigned from cabinet, and doesn't have any role in the current govt as far as I know.

The DPMs are Yongyuth, Chalerm, Kowit, Kittirat and Chompol Silpa-Archa.

Thanks .... my mistake. I've been incorrectly blaming Khun Sannan :crying:

This one will be worth monitoring.The Thai government is between a rock and a hard place given it is equally subservient to the Chinese and its own military forces.

I doubt there will be transparency as to what kind of agreement they come up with. This has nothing to do with Chinese citizens being killed. It has to do with big business. As long as the Thai govt can guarantee big business safety along the Mekong then things will continue as before conviction or no conviction.

Ethics and justice has nothing to do with this.

I doubt there will be transparency as to what kind of agreement they come up with. This has nothing to do with Chinese citizens being killed. It has to do with big business. As long as the Thai govt can guarantee big business safety along the Mekong then things will continue as before conviction or no conviction.

Ethics and justice has nothing to do with this.

That's right. I think that after a proper face-saving story is ironed out for both sides (which could be already agreed and underway), this will be buttoned up publicly.

On the Chinese side there would be concern about what ships from its nation are actually involved in along the Mekong. The Thais will be concerned that a). Their soldiers carried out executions on the orders of a drug warlord; or B). Acted with sanction to to harshly interdict the drug trade.

With plenty of unsavory info on both sides, this will be swept under the carpet after sufficient public outrage has been voiced.

• 2 weeks later...