Non-immigrant "o"

I am an unmarried, 48 year-old, US citizen. I am retired and can provide proof of income that exceeds the minimum required by the Kingdom.

I am currently in the USA but spent the last year in Thailand using (3) 60-day tourist visas along with several border runs on 30-day visas.

This year I want to attempt to get a non-immigrant "O" visa to save on the hassles of doing so many border runs.

My questions:

Is this type of visa feasible for someone in my situation?

If so, what should I state in Block 4 of the visa form for "Purpose of visit?"

What supporting documents should I include?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Rice_King

Rice King...........i/ll assume you recieved my e-mail in reply to yours and are looking for confirmation (hopefully) of what i wrote.

At the moment you don't qualify for any type of Non Imm O Visa (maybe with the exception of investment).

Above said, there are some Consulates that will issue O's on the grounds of "visiting family and friends" ............i said Denver would be best shot for this (although there are others).

You might even have a chance by putting down you are planning retirement (with you being 48+)...........you/d have to have a word with them.

If you do obtain an O you/ll still have visa runs to do every 90 days as obviously at the moment you would not qualify for yearly extensions.

By my reckoning the "O" versus the way you have been doing it would save you 3 "border runs" a year.

If you can obtain an "O" there would be no supporting documents required..........they will be needed only when you hit 50 and wish to extend your stay 1 year at a time.

:o

I see no problem getting either the non imm O or non imm B from any of several of the Honorary consulates in the USA. I have talked to 4 of them and they all made it clear that it was a rubber stamp process as long as you meet the simple requirements.

However, as TF1 points out, I don't think there is any way for you to get the 1 year extension for an O visa other than investment, since you do not have a Thai family and are too young for the O A retirement.

However if you have any interest in doing any kind of business in or from Thailand then maybe getting a non imm B is a good way for you to go and then you can avoid the visa runs. And if you make at least enough to offset the expense of having the business then well worth it. And additionally it may entertain you and/or make you rich. :o

See my recent thread that really covers this option as I am looking now at going this route:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50759

seeker

TF1:

Sorry, I did not receive your email reply to my personal email. So, I decided it was probably in the best interest of the forum to ask this question publicly as there may be someone out there in need of the same information I was asking you for.

I am in the Northeast US visiting family now. I previously mailed the Houston consulate for my tourist visas. I think I will stick with them on this attempt as well. I always received fast service from them. And, maybe, since I am already on file there, it might make the process easier. Then again, it may not. Who knows?

Super thanks to TF1 and everyone for being so helpful.

Edited by Rice_King

one more question regarding the visa fees.

It states on the embassy website: 

"Non-immigrant visa.....US $50.00 per entry and US $125 per multiple entries."

Does this mean I pay $125 (for the multi)?  Or $175 for entry AND multi?

Havn't checked the website but i would think the $50 fee refers to a single entry Non Imm O and the $175 to a multiple entry Non Imm O..................these are not what you will applying for, there is no such thing as a multiple entry Tourist visa but rather a Tourist visa with between 1 and 4 entries on it.

If you look at the website regarding Tourist Visas it will give the fee per entry simply multiply it up.....ie. if its $45 per entry and you want 3 entries it would be $45 X 3.

Like i say i have not check the website so dont take the fees i've quoted as gospel.

Since tourist visas go for $25 each, I'm thinking I just have to pay $125 for the multi entry.  That sounds about right.

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-tourist-us.htm

Just checked the L.A website if you intend to apply for the triple entry tourist visa the fee is 3 X $25..........$75.

If you intend to try for a Non Immigrant O multiple entry visa then yes you need to pay $125...........the $125 is the full fee there is nothing else to pay on top.

The same $125 fee can be paid for the 1 year multiple entry B visa and with this you can do the same 90 day visa runs if this is what you end up wanting to do.

Alternatively, with this visa, you have the option to set up a limited Thai corporation within your first 90 days without much expense or hassle. Then you never need leave Thailand again. You can keep this visa active and continue to get your extensions and you also need not put time and money into changing to the retirement visa and extensions in two years. However, if you do not intend to ever generate income through this new company of yours then maybe you will want to change to the OA (retirement) in 2 years as that will cost less to maintain. But at least with this option you still never need do visa runs starting immediately. Again, see this link for more details:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50759

The other advantage is if you do want to do anything even vaguely resembling work (like maybe do a fix up job on your home yourself) you are covered (assuming this is listed as your place of work if someone wanted to get real technical about it).

Speaking of home, from what I understand, having a real corporation established also allows you to own land and buildings through the corporation. Also as an American you can set up the favorable Amity treaty type company. I am not a visa or incorpoation expert by any stretch and some of what I just said I have simplified for the sake of this post, but it seems to me that this route has many advantages. Can anyone think of any disadvantage of anyone getting the non imm B as opposed to the O even if they do not end up choosing to set up a business after looking into it once in Thailand?

I suppose if someone is over 50 and absolutely set in their mind on getting the OA (and no chance they will change their mind once in Thailand) then I guess there is no point in getting the B. But still no real disadvantage as changing from B to O once in Thailand, according to the folks at Sunbelt Asia, is not a problem. However going from O to B in Thailand is apparently more complicated.

For me I have no choice but to get the non B as I really do want to establish something serious in Thailand, but, now that I am aware of the advantages, I would probably still go the non B route even though I am eligible for the OA.

Re consulates definitely go through an honorary consulate and not an official one like the one in Los Angeles. Much more user friendly.

Here is a listing of the ones in the USA:

http://www.thaiembdc.org/directry/direc_e.htm#AL

Feel free to email or PM me for more details.

BTW, I have finally decided to go through the Alabama office for a number of reasons, one being that they are willing to send back the passport via FedEx rather than USPS (Denver, though very helpful, will only use USPS).

Good luck all!

:o