We're nearly through it: PM

Lite Beer

It's amazing.

The slightest prospect of a little bit of good news generates posts consisting of bile and venom.

Or do I mean vile and benom???

Pathetic.

I recognise that, as a result of the flooding, some people really have nothing else to do but sit at their computers all day refreshing their browsers but it's so fuc_king tiresome reading the same <deleted> about Thaksin this or Yingluck that whenever a glimmer of hope slices through the media gloom.

You people are missing the point by a country mile and are wasting bandwidth. Last week they were saying to prepare for floods for 4-6 weeks, and now 'we're nearly through it'! Agree, the political drivel on here is annoying but it's comments like this from the PM that sets them right up. Either 'we're nearly through it' is tosh, is mainly focused on Inner Bangkok, is lost in translation, or, most unlikely, the bulk of the 16Bm3 of water has mysteriously passed through already.

While FROC was still 'begging people to leave' Bangkok even yesterday. Worst coordination ever.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing.

The slightest prospect of a little bit of good news generates posts consisting of bile and venom.

Pathetic.

I recognise that, as a result of the flooding, some people really have nothing else to do but sit at their computers all day refreshing their browsers but it's so fuc_king tiresome reading the same <deleted> about Thaksin this or Yingluck that whenever a glimmer of hope slices through the media gloom.

You people are missing the point by a country mile and are wasting bandwidth. Last week they were saying to prepare for floods for 4-6 weeks, and now 'we're nearly through it'! Agree, the political drivel on here is annoying but it's comments like this from the PM that sets them right up. Either 'we're nearly through it' is tosh, is mainly focused on Inner Bangkok, is lost in translation, or, most unlikely, the bulk of the 16Bm3 of water has mysteriously passed through already.

Amazingly epitomized by the government saying 2 weeks ago that the water had passed through already and that the worst was over.... :blink:

2011-10-16

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents living along the Chao Phraya River that the worst is over

he added that water level in Singburi and Ayutthaya tends to be lower today as massive run-off from Nakhon Sawan has passed Bangkok.

I honestly believe that what we are witnessing in terms of the total lack of effective Leadership, Management and Organizational Skills is a function of the Thai Education system. The one thing that would have helped prevent the implementation of 'reactionary' , poorly considered decisions would have been a group of people (PM and Ministers), who were not afraid behind closed doors to both display and receive critical thinking. The Senior Government meetings should have been awash with debate, challenging possible solutions, and in no uncertain terms being able to say in front of your closed peer group, even if it is the PM, "that if I may say so is a <deleted> idea for the following reasons.....".

Now we witness the ultimate consequence of school children who are not expected to ask questions and not permitted to challenge the Teacher. They develop into adults who will never question authority, even in the most dire circumstances when they are fully aware their boss is wrong. People have died because of the ineptitude displayed by the Government senior management team during this flood. The only way to learn from this would be a critical debrief once the country returns to normal, but that is just not going to happen. The occurrences have been so plagued by Human Error that there should even be a public enquiry, but that will really never happen.

I think she was fed up with generating so much negative surprise after giving so many false assurances that she, or more likely her minder, decided to dump expectations into the shitter, so that there would could be on more downside. Either she looks like the one who saved inner Bkk, if it is saved, after pushing the Bkk governor aside, or she looks like who told it like it was, albeit at the last moment.

Bangkok Resisting Floods (So Why Isn't Everyone Happy?)

BANGKOK — Shielded by hundreds of thousands of sandbags piled shoulder high along the city’s outskirts, most of Bangkok remained dry on Sunday, allaying fears for the time being that the massive metropolis would be swamped by monsoon floodwaters. But along the flood walls, which ring the city and were being patrolled by soldiers and police officers around the clock, there was a mixture of relief and resentment.

Read more:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/31/world/asia/31iht-thailand31.html?_r=1

New York Times - 13 minutes ago

Edited by metisdead
Post edited per fair use.

Thailand's PM Upbeat Over Bangkok Flooding

Thailand's prime minister says she is hopeful Bangkok would be mostly spared from the country's worst flooding for 50 years which has killed at least 381 people nationwide. Yingluck Shinawatra told the capital's residents to be "confident", saying there may be overflow into some areas but it would not cause any great damage. She added: "We will recover soon."

Read more:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/thailands-pm-upbeat-over-major-flooding-134450481.html

Sky News – 12 minutes ago

Edited by metisdead
Post edited per fair use.

1319951572[/url]' post='4807677']
1319946174[/url]' post='4807347']

Looking at the current satellite photos shows water area 3 times the size of what is around Bangkok waiting up country to move south to the sea. Hard to imagine that will jzst evaporate before it arrives in the next 2-3 weeks. This way beyond being overly optimistic.

Here is a link I found for 2 different time lines, 1 now and 1 in 2008 from Nasa so should be accurate. http://earthobservat...ew.php?id=76204

Robert. A great contribution. Thank you and welcome to the forum.

^^ That's exactly what she means because a few days ago it was perhaps a month/6 weeks... you have 16 billion cubic metres being drained at 50 million m3 per day. Do the maths, Yingluck, and tell people how it is.

If you are going to be snide, get your numbers right.

It WAS 16 billion cbm, everyday more of that drains. At a total drainage rate of 400million cbm per day.

That is drainage from the whole basin. Tha Chin, Chao Praya, Bang Pakong rivers and various canals.

Last time I saw any numbers about volume left to drain, it was more like 6 to 8 billion cbm.

They said at the start of the Bangkok flood crisis that it would take 30 to 40 days to drain. What date do you take as start?

Who knows? Oct.1st? Oct.15th?

The numbers keep changing. I heard the rivers carry only 40 million CuMtres per day. Which as someone posted is 320 days but then are the rivers able to carry an additional 40m cumtrs.

Say 3 rivers x 200metres wide x 10 metres deep is 6000m2 moving 40 million per day. means the rivers are only flowing at 0.25kph.

That cant be right.

Thailand's prime minister says she is hopeful Bangkok would be mostly spared from the country's worst flooding for 50 years which has killed at least 381 people nationwide. Yingluck Shinawatra told the capital's residents to be "confident", saying there may be overflow into some areas but it would not cause any great damage. She added: "We will recover soon."

In the swamped suburbs and provinces, there are increasing worries about water-borne diseases and malaria. Matthew Cochrane of the International Red Cross said the situation was critical. Many people were living in floodwater without access to food and water. "There are more than two million people who have been affected over the past few months. Many of them are still affected," Mr Cochrane said.

Read more:

You, presumably purposely, omitted from the same article.

"Seven of Bangkok's 50 districts - all in the northern and western outskirts - were heavily inundated and many people have been evacuated. Eight other districts have seen less serious flooding."

7 out of 50 gives a slightly different picture, does it not ??

begin removed (on purpose ;) ) ...

"Seven of Bangkok's 50 districts - all in the northern and western outskirts - were heavily inundated and many people have been evacuated. Eight other districts have seen less serious flooding."

7 out of 50 gives a slightly different picture, does it not ??

Today, 21:29:

Dep BKK governor says the chance 20 districts of the capital not adjacent to canals, the river and are econ zones will not flood is 80%/TAN_Network

Edited by rubl

Is this the same PM who said, Bangkok will escape floods?

Looks like all those fortune tellers are finally paying off.

Don't forget the 1000 boats pumping the river dry , that done amazing things. :)

Bit drunk but could argue ( against my commonsense ) that just possibly, perhaps maybe, even slightly that the idea from on high might have made a small difference.................

Fact is inner Bangkok is not wet and outlying suburbs are screwed.

Hope you can keep your shoes dry.

If they are, be grateful and have some thought for those who are struggling now.

Edited by philw

In the swamped suburbs and provinces, there are increasing worries about water-borne diseases and malaria. Matthew Cochrane of the International Red Cross said the situation was critical. Many people were living in floodwater without access to food and water. "There are more than two million people who have been affected over the past few months. Many of them are still affected," Mr Cochrane said.

Read more:

<snip>

You, presumably purposely, are wrong.

This post has been edited by metisdead: Today, 22:28

Reason for edit: Post edited per fair use.

Read more:

<snip>

Except that philw posted at 15.24 and metisdead edited at 22.28 :rolleyes: .

Edited by Siam Simon

<snip>

Except that philw posted at 15.24 and metisdead edited at 22.28 :rolleyes: .

Are you and philw both new to Thaivisa? :blink:

Are you both, presumably purposely, trolling?

Have you never seen any of the many "fair use prohibits" editing done on news articles?

No news articles posted by members are done so in their entirety.

It doesn't matter when the post was trimmed by the moderator, the initial posting by myself was trimmed because of fair use considerations.

Despite the initial article being trimmed, it was trimmed even further.

I quoted it not to show the time it was edited, but to show that fair use is an enforced policy of the forum.

Edited by Buchholz

..............and the angry whale (Monstro) could not push the magic diasappearing and reappearing waters of the river. So PM Pinnochio hopped on her trusty rosewood table with of course her uncle Khun Geppetto and her favorite snacks and lived happily ever after in Brunitia. PM Pinnocchio was heard crying in the distance " All i ever wanted was to be a real PM" but to no avail. She remained a puppet. Later in life her nose would be used to measure cellestial bodies in between the galaxies. This would be come her favorite position as she was able to keep her nose in the air with little decision making requirements and they all lived happily ever after. Except for Jimminy Cricket who was toasted and eaten as a lite snack and the kitty which of course was the main entree. Bon appetito! wink.gif

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

^^ That's exactly what she means because a few days ago it was perhaps a month/6 weeks... you have 16 billion cubic metres being drained at 50 million m3 per day. Do the maths, Yingluck, and tell people how it is.

It WAS 16 billion cbm, everyday more of that drains. At a total drainage rate of 400million cbm per day.

That is drainage from the whole basin. Tha Chin, Chao Praya, Bang Pakong rivers and various canals.

Last time I saw any numbers about volume left to drain, it was more like 6 to 8 billion cbm.

Rather than the 16 billion cubic meters of water draining with its total going down....

it's going up.

Today's announcement:

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has indicated there is still about 20 billion cubic meter of floodwater flowing down from the upper part of the country.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1049315

but hey, "we're nearly through it"

Rather than the 16 billion cubic meters of water draining with its total going down....

it's going up.

Today's announcement:

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has indicated there is still about 20 billion cubic meter of floodwater flowing down from the upper part of the country.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1049315

but hey, "we're nearly through it"

They must have flushed all the toilets in CM!

It's amazing.

Pathetic.

It would be slightly amusing for the PM's more, shall we say, "vocal" detractors to actually have a chance to call her a "stupid bitch" to her face. Basically despite her monumental f#ckups, broken campaign promises, ulterior motives towards her brother and basic mismanagement of everything she touches IMHO calling her a bitch is beyond the pale.

For sure their testicles will retract and they will be kowtowing before her.

It's amazing.

Pathetic.

It would be slightly amusing for the PM's more, shall we say, "vocal" detractors to actually have a chance to call her a "stupid bitch" to her face. Basically despite her monumental f#ckups, broken campaign promises, ulterior motives towards her brother and basic mismanagement of everything she touches IMHO calling her a bitch is beyond the pale.

Really.

The world is full of toadies eh?

It's amazing.

Pathetic.

well i know several thais who would think that was polite and unless shes surrounded by her red thugs I would doubt she would dare set foot in public but Thais forget easily. Silver lining is this might just might be big enough for thme to finally see light and get rid of this pile of !@#@#$$@#$#@%$@#c

It's amazing.

Pathetic.

Really.

The world is full of toadies eh?

Sorry, what are toadies?

It's amazing.

Pathetic.

Those of us who have a bit of values beaten into us would never ever say something like that, neither in a females face nor with her back turned. My 83 year old mother would still drag me by my ear and make me wash my mouth with soap.

Still the PM does have some limitations it seems, not necessarily related to the fact that she is female :rolleyes:

Sorry, what are toadies?

Word History: The earliest recorded sense (around 1690) of toady is "a little or young toad," but this has nothing to do with the modern usage of the word. The modern sense has rather to do with the practice of certain quacks or charlatans who claimed that they could draw out poisons. Toads were thought to be poisonous, so these charlatans would have an attendant eat or pretend to eat a toad and then claim to extract the poison from the attendant. Since eating a toad is an unpleasant job, these attendants came to epitomize the type of person who would do anything for a superior, and toadeater (first recorded 1629) became the name for a flattering, fawning parasite. Toadeater and the verb derived from it, toadeat, influenced the sense of the noun and verb toad and the noun toady, so that both nouns could mean "sycophant" and the verb toady could mean "to act like a toady to someone."

Do you fit that description? I bloody well don't, and I would think that a large number of forum members don't either.