Lap Swimming

Lobo4819

Well, what the h#ll do you need to swim? Not much actually. But if you are a serious lap swimmer, you may need things such as kick-boards, eyewear, training fins, pull buoys, hand-paddles, etc.

Is there anyone out there who has been able to purchase these items locally? I've found kick-boards at Big-C, good eyewear at Robinson, but none of the other equipment this side of Korat. Does anyone have information about local sources?

Thanks.

Try asking Phil the owner at The Real Centre of the Universe. Phil has dedicated sessions for Lap swimming 06.30-09.00 and 16.00- 17.00.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun JonWilly,

Dare I ask where the "Real Centre of the Universe" ... is ? Just the thought of it has me going in circles, now.

Up to now I've been using Pascal's directions: "God is a fearful sphere whose center is everywhere, and

whose circumference is nowhere."[1]

thanks, ~o:37;

[1] until the late nineteenth century, English translations of Pascal's words mistakenly translated the original French "effroyable" as "infinite" or "intelligible." cf. Jorge Borges' essay on the ancient roots of the metaphor used by Pascal in: "The Fearful Sphere of Pascal" in the collection of essays, "Otras Inquisitiones," 1952, translated into English by Anthony Kerrigan, titled, "Labyrinths: Selected Stories and Other Writings," published, by New Directions, circa 1964.

Try asking Phil the owner at The Real Centre of the Universe. Phil has dedicated sessions for Lap swimming 06.30-09.00 and 16.00- 17.00.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun JonWilly,

Dare I ask where the "Real Centre of the Universe" ... is ? Just the thought of it has me going in circles, now.

If you go to www.google.com and type in "Real Centre of the Universe", it will be first hit. Everyone should learn to use Google.

To the OP, I have not seen any such shop in CM. When I was in Hua Hin half a year ago, I noticed that the "main/nicest" shopping center

there, "Market Village", had a Speedo shop on the first floor. I was only interested in a pair of training fins, but if my memory does not

deceive me, they had a resonable amount of other Speedo stuff there also. If no other alternative, I guess you could try Googling for the shop

and hope to mailorder from them.

Hi,

I believe they have some equipment in Sports World which is at the back of Central Kad Suan Kaew. I bought a pair of diving fins there and a diving mask some time ago.

I really enjoyed doing this the other day : http://cmhike.com/2011/11/trip-report-sunday-6th-of-november-long-distance-swim-in-mae-ngat-reservoir/

I swam out to the Eakachai House boat on Mae Ngat. It only took me 2 and a quarter hours!

Jamie

Central KSK has kickboards, training fins, hand paddles, and the other usuals...

Hi,

I believe they have some equipment in Sports World which is at the back of Central Kad Suan Kaew. I bought a pair of diving fins there and a diving mask some time ago.

I really enjoyed doing this the other day : http://cmhike.com/20...ngat-reservoir/

I swam out to the Eakachai House boat on Mae Ngat. It only took me 2 and a quarter hours!

Jamie

Perhaps I am uninformed, but is Central KSK the same as Central Airport Plaza? If not, where is KSK located? Directions are sometimes difficult to follow if you don't know the speaker's perspective and where they are directing from. Thanks.

Edited by Lobo4819

KSK is Kad Suan Kaew, the older mall. Both the Central Dept sport and another store called Sports World in that mall stock swimming gear.

I second the recommendation for Center of the Universe and hope the OP stays away from the pool where I swim, which is part of a fitness center for a hotel on Loi Kroh. Like Center of the Universe, the pool is big, but unlike COTU it's a dog-leg and doesn't have lanes marked or anyone enforcing any rules. There are a couple of yahoos who lap swim with hand paddles and swim fins at speeds higher than other swimmers. I've had collisions with them, which isn't good for an old lady with osteoporosis. One of these idiots broke a bone in my foot that took months to heal. I've never understood why someone uses hand paddles and swim fins. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a good work-out, doesn't it? Like using an electric bike and saying you're getting exercising from bicycling.

And yes, before someone says that swimming isn't the best exercise for osteoporosis, I should point out that I do treadmill and weight work on the days I don't swim.

Edited by NancyL