All Bangkok Districts To Be Flooded If Klong Sam Wa's Sluice Gate Further Opened: Deputy Governor

webfact

I can fully sympathise with these people, I am now into the second week of waist deep water, and with every none metal or plastic piece of furniture ruined, not to mention 2 submerged aircon compressors and walls covered in slime, plus the all pervading sewer smell. They have endured this three times longer than me! I think many here have no idea what this is like.

We are suffering to protect inner Bangkok, but is Bangkok grateful, will they help us refurnish and repair our homes? Obviously as a farang that is out of the question, but what about the Thais?

Just what is being protected that is so important, inner Bangkok is a commercial centre, yes a nexus of head offices, but what use are they with their up country factories and manufacturing bases destroyed. Just tell me in simple language just what is so vital in inner Bangkok that my home is ruined? Then convince the Thais in my area.

These people live from week to week, unlike the salaried elite in Bangkok, how can they start again from scratch, how will they cope with the filth and destruction of their communities. Bangkok has a lot to answer for, I hope they have some damned good answers.

YOU should have moved your belongings before the floods came to your home. Oh?? no one told you to??? many people north of you "suffered" for weeks already. There has to be some management and control to have the BEST outcome with the LEAST damage.. All the silly people on these threads sure do not have the ability to know what that is. The gov has to take control... communicate... and do the BEST they can while making careful decisions made by those most qualified... NOT based on decisions by a few people that are "suffering" near Bangkok. YOU had WEEKS to see this coming...

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists....

The Reds who damaged Bkk in Spring '09 and Spring '10 were terrorists in every sense of the word (remember commandeering LP gas truck? .....and raiding hospital?). Yet Thais like them, and voted their leaders in to political power positions months later. The message: It's ok to be a Thai terrorist, particularly if it relates to damaging Bkk.

Tolerating terrorism in Thailand, whether it's practiced by militant muslims, Burmese ethnic minorities, or rural Thai folk, is an incredibly dangerous precedent. But completely consistent with the passive, non-confrontational style of law enforcement employed in this country that allows various factions to sort their grievances among themselves.

Indeed. The government watched the Yellow shirts occupy the government house and then Suvannaphum Airport, the Red Shirts crash Asean summit, Songkran and then Rajaprasong setting dangerous precedents. Now the "little" people know that if they show up in sufficient numbers, they will get away with almost anything, including now destroying dams and dykes.

I read today in the paper that the police is only watching the "little" people destroy the gates. Mob rule again.

Yes, Mobocracy is back, helped by another incompetent government.

now i understand more of the problem. Wuite logical that they want that opened more. It drains through BKK straight in the sea. Its madness blocking North to South connections and expecting the locals to endure more hardship.

It might GO through Bangkok straight to the sea, but how much will it flood on the way ... especially as it goes past Suvarnabhumi and not far from the Lam Lukka industrial estate.

Its a canal going straight to the sea.... They are not utilizing it keeping many people flooded deeper and longer. True.. there is a risk.. but id say take it. But that is because i am living flooded (this canal wont affect me)

Complete nonsense. Khlong Sam Wa doesn't go straight to the sea. Not even close. Why do you think it does? :huh:

now i understand more of the problem. Wuite logical that they want that opened more. It drains through BKK straight in the sea. Its madness blocking North to South connections and expecting the locals to endure more hardship.

It might GO through Bangkok straight to the sea, but how much will it flood on the way ... especially as it goes past Suvarnabhumi and not far from the Lam Lukka industrial estate.

Its a canal going straight to the sea.... They are not utilizing it keeping many people flooded deeper and longer. True.. there is a risk.. but id say take it. But that is because i am living flooded (this canal wont affect me)

Complete nonsense. Khlong Sam Wa doesn't go straight to the sea. Not even close. Why do you think it does? :huh:

I see it connected with other khlongs eventually going to either the sea or the river. I dont see it flowing upward and it does not end in a lake either... so it releases its water to.. either sea or river.

While I may not agree with the actions of these people in forcing open flood gates and tearing down barriers to try and get some relief from the flooding in their area, I can fully understand their anger and frustration.

These people are tired of the property, their houses and their lives being destroyed just save precious Bangkok year after year. How would you feel if your moo ban was flooded year in and year out just to so the one next to you could be saved? If you can imagine that, then you can understand these people and their actions.

While Yingluck & Company can be, and should be, blamed for the mismanagement of this situation, they can't be blamed for the flood itself. And no one can convince me that any other government could/would do a better job.

For to many years the rich and powerful, which means about .05% of the population, have been allowed to destroy what is, supposedly, protected forest areas to build their mansions and resorts, thereby destroying the ecological balance that Mother Nature provided. For too many years these same people have built, or have allowed to be built, factories, housing and condo projects, and other structures in low lying areas that block the natural flow of water, with zero forethought of what might happen. For too many years the experts, both Thai and foreign, have done studies, made recommendations, and issued serious warnings about what could/would happen, but since there was no "graft" or "corruption" money in it for anyone, they were ignored.

If anyone is to blame for this situation it is EVERY member of EVERY government for the past 50+ years since the last flood for not doing what was necessary to prevent it from happening again.

The one good thing from this is now maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the experts and finally do what needs to be done for ALL of Thailand, and not just Bangkok. We can only hope.

I agree with your post 100%.Here in chiang mai it's only a matter of time before the same happens.More flooding i mean ! Just see how much building they are doing with every little piece of land and green space being used to build condos and guest houses.With no attention at all for the environment .Even now when it rains there are many place's that have standing water after the rain stops.Warning signs nimmanhaemen RD and huay kaew road always flood in certain locations during rainy season.But they just keep on building and building and taking away the natural draining space for the water.I think soon,in the future they will see that a few mistakes were made.

I see it connected with other khlongs eventually going to either the sea or the river. I dont see it flowing upward and it does not end in a lake either... so it releases its water to.. either sea or river.

Too funny. Good grief.. Let this whole situation be managed by the MOBS.. The Thai way...???

Too funny. Good grief.. Let this whole situation be managed by the MOBS.. The Thai way...???

Thing is its not being managed by experts, that is what should happen it is not. Anyway i am correct that it ends in the sea or river. Its not a direct line i admit that. But like it or not the water has to pass BKK. Preferably sooner then later and preferable without too much damage all around.

I can fully sympathise with these people, I am now into the second week of waist deep water, and with every none metal or plastic piece of furniture ruined, not to mention 2 submerged aircon compressors and walls covered in slime, plus the all pervading sewer smell. They have endured this three times longer than me! I think many here have no idea what this is like.

We are suffering to protect inner Bangkok, but is Bangkok grateful, will they help us refurnish and repair our homes? Obviously as a farang that is out of the question, but what about the Thais?

Just what is being protected that is so important, inner Bangkok is a commercial centre, yes a nexus of head offices, but what use are they with their up country factories and manufacturing bases destroyed. Just tell me in simple language just what is so vital in inner Bangkok that my home is ruined? Then convince the Thais in my area.

These people live from week to week, unlike the salaried elite in Bangkok, how can they start again from scratch, how will they cope with the filth and destruction of their communities. Bangkok has a lot to answer for, I hope they have some damned good answers.

YOU should have moved your belongings before the floods came to your home. Oh?? no one told you to??? many people north of you "suffered" for weeks already. There has to be some management and control to have the BEST outcome with the LEAST damage.. All the silly people on these threads sure do not have the ability to know what that is. The gov has to take control... communicate... and do the BEST they can while making careful decisions made by those most qualified... NOT based on decisions by a few people that are "suffering" near Bangkok. YOU had WEEKS to see this coming...

So many comedians in this forumbah.gif Perhaps I I had been told Bangkok would not block the natural flow of the water I might have done just that. Hired a pantechnicon and a lot of cat cages and moved where? Would YOU have welcomed me?

Not funny, as Justonevoice explains, the MOB is fed up by the Bangkokian Elite which has pulled all the investments for a Greater Bangkok and doing little for the rest of the population....

Not funny, as Justonevoice explains, the MOB is fed up by the Bangkokian Elite which has pulled all the investments for a Greater Bangkok and doing little for the rest of the population....

Yep ... all those Bangkok elite in 20 sqm shoe boxes. Just worried about their own investments and no care for the rest of the population.

I wonder how you feed 5 million people stuck in their low-rises by floods?

So many comedians in this forumbah.gif Perhaps I I had been told Bangkok would not block the natural flow of the water I might have done just that. Hired a pantechnicon and a lot of cat cages and moved where? Would YOU have welcomed me?

Read this again...

There has to be some management and control to have the BEST outcome with the LEAST damage.. All the silly people on these threads sure do not have the ability to know what that is. The gov has to take control... communicate... and do the BEST they can while making careful decisions made by those most qualified... NOT based on decisions by a few people that are "suffering" near Bangkok. YOU had WEEKS to see this coming...

And if you say the gov is doing a poor job, they you should have assumed that would have been the case and taken ACTION on your own.

This is why the Emergency needed to be declared.

This rash action by a mob was a forgone conclusion.

And nothing is strong enough to stand up to it at the present juncture.

Flood control can NOT EVER be left to the mercurial whims of enraged Mobs.

Lets not go overboard.. They didnt smash the gates open.. the gates were raised from 80cm to 1m.. A 20% increase..

The mob was filmed on TV trying to smash the gates open with sledge hammers

What's worse, as soon as the mob got the gates opened wider through negotiations backed by serious threats, the mob then broke their promise and got fast at work breaking down the barriers around the gate. As with all earthen structures, the faster the water flows over the breach, the faster it cuts (and then the faster the water flows). Police are reported to have stood by watching and doing nothing to stop it. The last report I read indicated that a new canal bypassing the gate had been successfully established and the mob was working to improve its efficiency. (This of course demonstrates just how effective the tactic of negotiating with a rabid mob can be. Who's betting that baby sister either fails to catch on, or worse yet, fails to care?)

So the bottom line is that the original quote here was not going overboard, since events proved the predictions to be true or worse.

there's a lot of misconception and misunderstandings. Even in the dry areas tensions are high. It ranges from hysterical to calm. Food is often hard to get. The grocery store chains look more like closing down soon due to lack of supplies. I only see some evacuees from nearby walking around in the area, while the locals still build concrete walls and sand bags.

Somehow I get the feelings that they will be filling sand bags even long after the flood is over.

Read this again...

There has to be some management and control to have the BEST outcome with the LEAST damage.. All the silly people on these threads sure do not have the ability to know what that is. The gov has to take control... communicate... and do the BEST they can while making careful decisions made by those most qualified... NOT based on decisions by a few people that are "suffering" near Bangkok. YOU had WEEKS to see this coming...

And if you say the gov is doing a poor job, they you should have assumed that would have been the case and taken ACTION on your own.

I guess you have not read any of my other comments, I am supportive of the government. What I did not anticipate was the degree to which the Democrats would be obstructive in order to score political points.

Nana and Patpong, what would the net effect be?

Flooded, not closed....

Effect: Wet T-Shirt contests for a month... Might bring in more tourists....

Anyway, a little moderation would not hurt... Answers on this thread either either strong OPEN them or strong DON'T open....

I put aside the political blame game that is probably behind most of the moves and also most probably behind the current situation (Floods all around Bangkok) and look at the facts...

There are gates, there are canals. Flooded plains are north, the sea is south.

A few staffs located at correct points of each canals could feedback on the effect of opening said gate to 0.80 or 1 meter...

Coordinated efforts instead of hot potato throwing would probably result in 2 positive effects that all seem to agree on:

1- Help evacuate the water to the sea faster.

2- Avoid flooding of Bangkok

inner Bangkok dry, you get relief , food, shelter and donation......inner Bangkok wet you get nothing because now people have to worry for themself, simple as that.

Donations?!!! You're dreaming. Thai people have no concept of charity! They could watch you die in the street.... Just look how wealth is distributed in a RICH country like Thailand. How many humanitarian THAI organizations do you know of?

Rotary International for example has a massive following in Thailand. they successfully collect donations of food and essentials both locally and from overseas and distribute it at personal cost.

(There are many similar organisations, but I am not a member of these.)

Just tell me in simple language just what is so vital in inner Bangkok that my home is ruined? Then convince the Thais in my area.

Poor people live in inner Bangkok also. How would you read it if you were living on the other side of the fence?

The same would happen in London if the Thames barrier had to be raised and thus cause flooding in other parts. Protect the capital at all costs even if it means hardship for those outside...

But understand your anger and hope the floods ease soon.

Ok, guys, calm down and think a little, if the Sluice gates will be further opened and it will lower the water level in certain districts but at the cost of Suvarnabhumi will have to shut down, meaning Thailand will lose all it´s contact to the rest of the world.

This means we are all <Snip!>, is that so hard to understand? dry.gif

I remember a few years ago Suvarnabhumi airport was closed for SEVERAL weeks and everybody looked ,sit there ,and watched and did nothing at all.,just wait.

And there was no flood . So if the airport then was not important why it should be now.?

Even though you did not notice anything the last time the air port was shut down,(if it ever happened), I can guarantee you, it had a HUGE impact on thai economy.

And most importantly, you don´t think the situation is a LITTLE bit different this time??

Edited by forumuser10

I guess you have not read any of my other comments, I am supportive of the government. What I did not anticipate was the degree to which the Democrats would be obstructive in order to score political points.

How have the Democrats been obstructive? The governor didn't flood central Bangkok. That has been continued by Yingluck.

Ok, guys, calm down and think a little, if the Sluice gates will be further opened and it will lower the water level in certain districts but at the cost of Suvarnabhumi will have to shut down, meaning Thailand will lose all it´s contact to the rest of the world.

This means we are all <Snip!>, is that so hard to understand? dry.gif

Yingluc says that help from the rest of the world is not needed. The finance minister says exports are bad for Thailand and wants to reduce them. Let them close Suvarnabhumi and then suffer the political consequences. There is enough hot air in Thailand to float the country

An idiotic response to a national disaster. I suppose you are one the people looking for a second home outside the flood zones so that you can live out the next flood in comfort. It would be interesting if all 2.5 million people up to their necks in water decided to evacuate to your precious safe haven..... and what contribution did you make to assist these victims. I guess nothing. I can imagine your preferred role in a WWII concentration camp.

People overestimate how much one of these small canals can move water to the ocean. It is tiny compared to the river. It is not going to make a difference by moving the water to the ocean, it will only slightly lower water elsewhere by opening up a new area dry area to flood.

An unfair analogy..

10 million for 6 weeks or 20 million for 2 weeks..

Its a question of sharing the risk, clearing waters as fast as possible, yet trying not to flood bangkok dramatically.

If bangkok now doesnt flood, and the opening of this gate does speed up the drainage of the area now flooded, it will be the right course of action. Se3ems bangkokians dont want to take any risk, by virtue of the 'we are more important' card, thereby guaranteeing more pain for others, while they only have 'risk'.

Actually, it's currently 2.5 million (for 4-6 weeks) and if Bangkok floods it would be another 8-10 million for 4-6 weeks. What makes you think they could clear the water in 2 weeks?

Correct, and more people out of work and homeless and at a higher economic cost, not to mention the damage to Thailand's business reputation (which is already taking a beating). You have to protect what is still dry.

Interesting, from that map it looks as the canal goes dead south all the way to Suvarnabhumi... No wonder they don't want to open it lol

They are more afraid it will flow down San Saeb and into Bangkapi.

Map on the first page is wrong, the actual location is here

http://maps.google.c...a54bb471bca688e

Click the zoom-out "-" button 5 times, switch to "map" view if necessary. Across the top of the map you will see the old airport, Sai Mai, and a dotted line boundary between Pathum Thani province and the city of Bangkok. Across the center of the map is Lat Phrao, Bang Chan and the sluice gate. Under that is Bang Chan Industrial Estate and Minburi. At the bottom are Bang Kapi and Lat Krabang Industrial estate. Another zoom-out and you see Bang Sue, Lat Phrao, Thonburi, the river, Silom, Khlong Toei, Bang Na on the left; a dotted line of the southern boundary of the city, with the new airport just below it. Another zoom-out gives you Ayutthaya, Nonthaburi and Pathum Thani provinces above the city, and Samut Prakan province between the city and the sea. If you are not familiar with this area, the map reference is good to understand all these place names that have been in the news of the flooding. I want to thank volk666 for posting this; it really helped me see the layout.

People overestimate how much one of these small canals can move water to the ocean. It is tiny compared to the river. It is not going to make a difference by moving the water to the ocean, it will only slightly lower water elsewhere by opening up a new area dry area to flood.

I wouldn't begin to pretend to be an expert in flood control but I do find it puzzling that the Saen Saeb Klong actually appears to be LOWER than normal. I live beside it and take the bus boat regularly; you can tell it's low when you have to step DOWN to get into the boat.

I don't understand why they don't at least utilize the extra 1 to 1.5 meters of depth still available in the klong to alleviate some of the problem. Given the length, width and un-utilized depth of this klong, I would think that's a fairly substantial amount of water. I'm sure it won't cure the problem but I would think every LITTLE BIT helps.