All Bangkok Districts To Be Flooded If Klong Sam Wa's Sluice Gate Further Opened: Deputy Governor

webfact

Not sure which if the gates that it was in reference too, but earlier today there was reports that one area had between stomach and chest height in water, all in one hour, due to destruction of a flood barrier.

One hour. Some people that right now complain about living in floods, wanting to spread toe love load, atleast had warnings amounting to days or a week...

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the local disputes regarding the flood management, Chalerm said that he has advised all police officers not to use force against the frustrated citizens who may unwittingly try to destroy flood walls. Instead, he has asked law enforcement officials to engage with them by negotiating.

While I understand the anger and frustrations of the residents, education would go a very long way. To not enforce the law and to negotiate is plain wrong. What is there to negotiate and who decides what that negotiation should be? Wide open for further problems. The police need to do their jobs and Chalerm as the Interior Minister, needs to make sure they do their job. Stop the loss of face crap.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4813879

"frustrated citizens who may unwittingly try to destroy flood walls" :blink:

That gate is here, right? http://g.co/maps/8m87v

If so, then I can thank the people there for causing the flooding of our soi in Khu Bon 27. Straight shot from there to Wat Khu Bon.

Sure, willing to share the burden, but trying to destroy the gate, that is too much.

I saw the picture and the news item yesterday. The gully they cut does not look like much now, but if it is left like that the water will undercut the gate.

And if the BMA and police go away, then the locals will go medieval on it.

For the record, I am sorry that the community there is suffering.

It's the north/south klong just to the right and probably a bit north of your marker.

And a dissenting opinon.

Expert advises wider opening of Khlong Samwa sluice gate

The Nation November 1,

Khlong Samwa sluice gate can be opened wider, upto 1.5 metre, without causing damage to subsequent areas, said a water management expert.

Komsan Maleesee of King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang told Nation Channel that the water level at Saen Saeb Canal remains low and there is a gate in Min Buri to control the inflows. He noted that the water releases would also help ease the pressure on residents of Rangsit. The sluice gate at Khlong Samwa, if closed, could result in overflows and that would worsen the situation.

have to give it to you you dont hide opinions that are not the same as yours.

I see it connected with other khlongs eventually going to either the sea or the river. I dont see it flowing upward and it does not end in a lake either... so it releases its water to.. either sea or river.

Too funny. Good grief.. Let this whole situation be managed by the MOBS.. The Thai way...???

Thing is its not being managed by experts, that is what should happen it is not. Anyway i am correct that it ends in the sea or river. Its not a direct line i admit that. But like it or not the water has to pass BKK. Preferably sooner then later and preferable without too much damage all around.

You said:

Its a canal going straight to the sea....
when anyone with half a brain can clearly see that is not the case.

While I agree there is a shocking absence of "experts" in the FROC, I credit and applaud the professional experts at the BMA for their successful protection of central Bangkok from what many said was an unstoppable body of water.

The EXPERTS recognize that Bangkok's complex network of canals, tunnels, flood gates and pumps need to be managed as a system. When you let a mob start to destroy parts of that system you risk destabilizing and destroying the entire system.

Everyone knows the Thai police are useless, yet the criminally incompetent FROC still refuses to declare a state of emergency to allow the Thai Army to do what needs to be done to protect the flood walls from ignorant mobs.

If the FROC allows the mobs to destroy the flood walls and flood central Bangkok they will once again have only themselves to blame.

For those of you trying to frame this as an "elite" vs. poor conflict, stop being so naive. The true elite in well stocked highrise condos and well protected homes won't suffer one bit compared to the Bangkok poor who will be up to their necks in flood water without access to food or clean water. The rich can leave any time. The poor generally don't have the resources to move and are therefore stuck and dependent on the FROC for help- what a scary place to be!

Considering the population density of Bangkok's low lying slum areas and the FROC's inadequate rescue and relief efforts to date, allowing the slums to flood could create a human disaster of unimaginable proportions.

If so, then I can thank the people there for causing the flooding of our soi in Khu Bon 27. Straight shot from there to Wat Khu Bon.

Sure, willing to share the burden, but trying to destroy the gate, that is too much.

I saw the picture and the news item yesterday. The gully they cut does not look like much now, but if it is left like that the water will undercut the gate.

It's the north/south klong just to the right and probably a bit north of your marker.

I see.

The khlong that runs east-west from that marker has a gate, is that correct? Just to the right of the marker?

edit: Just got this from metisdead: http://g.co/maps/heen9

In that case, opening the gate is good for Khu Bon, since it would release water going south.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

No, it's south east of the marker, where Hataimit crosses over north-south klong. I suppose there's a way to stop the water flowing to the west of this marker. To the east is Wati Suk Chai community where the protesters reportedly came from.

BS. The police are there to stop the mob from opening the gates further.

Nah,

"The Bangkok governor evoked the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Law to order Metropolitan Police in deploying a task force to protect BMA officials who need to fix the sluice gate. He said he did not trust authorities in the area and demanded that the city police offer his officials protection.

Earlier reports indicated that BMA officials going to in to try and fix the flood gate were threatened of bodily harm by locals in the area."

http://www.tannetwork.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1049386

Yesterday they just stood there and watched as the bypass was excavated. It was the military police that guarded the gate itself, in dark blue uniforms and berets, but now they are gone, apparently.

I see.

The khlong that runs east-west from that marker has a gate, is that correct? Just to the right of the marker?

Yes. Looking at google maps in satellite mode shows the gate near your marker.

Here's the location (from someone's earlier post). http://maps.google.c...a54bb471bca688e

So the gate you linked to is part of the flood protection wall.

Thanks. I edited my post too late for people to see. I got the correct location.

So, keeping Sam Wa gate open would be good for Khu Bon area, if the gate in the east-west remains nearly closed.

That would explain why the east-west khlong was flowing eastwards a few days ago according to scot1999.

He is not online for the moment. Spoke to him today and he updated me on Khu Bon.

It is going to be interesting on Monday when we have to travel from Ban Pong to Suan Phlu for my 90 day.

It will probably be a madhouse there.

Not sure which if the gates that it was in reference too, but earlier today there was reports that one area had between stomach and chest height in water, all in one hour, due to destruction of a flood barrier.

One hour. Some people that right now complain about living in floods, wanting to spread toe love load, atleast had warnings amounting to days or a week...

Minburi market directly downstream from this gate had 10-30 cm of water today, basically the same as last week.

now i understand more of the problem. Wuite logical that they want that opened more. It drains through BKK straight in the sea. Its madness blocking North to South connections and expecting the locals to endure more hardship.

It might GO through Bangkok straight to the sea, but how much will it flood on the way ... especially as it goes past Suvarnabhumi and not far from the Lam Lukka industrial estate.

With Bangkok making up around 40% of the GDP of Thailand, it's understandable they're trying to protect it. The damage is already done in the surrounding areas, does it really have to get even worse? It's terrible for the locals who are now up to their waste in water, but forcing more of Bangkok to flood will not lessen their damage, and will cripple the Thai economy even further.

Besides that, it's pretty insane that the government is allowing local people to affect their plans so much. Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists.... Someone needs to take charge and look at the bigger picture, then enforce the plan for the greater good of the country. If the local police can't handle it, have the army protect the sluice gates and dams....

I am siding with the locals there. They probably figure by now that the government has no idea what they're doing. Neither do the various institutions that are responsible for different parts of the flood response. The fact that there are various ones should be a clue.

So in this situation you either believe that the government has a wise master plan whereby some areas are inundated for way longer than they normally would, and others are saved. You'd need to believe not only that the areas sacrificed and saved are the best for the common good, but also that they're able to execute that plan. Failure to do either would mean that they're just meddling with stuff and possibly making things worse.

In this situation I'd just open everything, and let everything flood for however long it must. Dig canals deeper, and remove obstacles. If I was a local and there's something blocking the water, keeping it in my moo baan, I'd remove that something too. Water needs to be drained as fast as possible.

I am fully in agreement with these people, why should they endure more days of flooding just to keep a few places dry! Here in Don Muang I as still experiencing rising water in my house, I will be unable to work today and will lose income because of it, why should I have a few more days of this if it can be lessened?

Not wishing to sound callous but the answer to your question is simple; you should have a few more days of inconvenience because you, directly or otherwise, made the decision to live in a part of the country the government considers to be less economically important to Thailand than certain parts of Bangkok. Like those who choose to live in places that are prone to, say, earthquakes or hurricanes - you've chosen to live with the inherent risk of things going pear-shaped. In some countries, the authorities offer effective assistance and relief in the event of disaster but, as you should be painfully aware by now, Thailand is not one of them. We've all made the decision to live in a country that has a history of political instability and, of course, flooding - if things go Pete Tong and we suffer as a result, we have only ourselves to blame.

I appreciate that your anger has its roots in the immediate effect the situation's had on your life but if it were reversed, with, say, you living in a dry area of BKK threatened by flood water, would you be so keen to have the sluice gate opened?

Of course the center is more important if everyone of the center of BKK were to give 10.000 bt to ease the suffering of others because they wanted to stay dry then yes. It would be fair. Now the people here have nothing to win from keeping BKK dry.

You usually come up as reasonable guy but looks like this situation is starting to take it's toll. Understandable.

But people in dry area to pay money to 10k per head, i mean seriously get real. Keeping BKK CBD dry will bring way more than 10k per head for the clean up operation.

You must understand that flooding BKK CBD will most likely mean you personally and tens of thousands of other are out of job. Even months after the water is gone. Not to mention the impact on government finances which will result even less being invested to infrastructure to sort out these issues with flooding etc. Seriously, flooding BKK will have negative effect on each and every thai and expat alike in the country. Just a simple fact. So it is very short sighted to put bkk at risk for the sake of 1000 angry residents. I would call it criminal and if it happens that BKK now floods i'm sure someone will be held accountable. But maybe that is the main reason to flood the city, political and personal gain...

Then other thing is that your property is already flooded and damage is done. Week less or week more does not count much when you are already flooded it won't cost more to fix so it is just of convenience people want now to flood the rest of the town.

And last have you ever considered the possibility that most likely you would be flooded as bad even in the case BKK was not protected at all or the gates would have been opened since day one?

This might sound hard but just the facts, i do feel for everyone who is flooded. For myself the house is still ok i hear. Out of country working but cost me already over 30k to get my pregnant wife and our toddler out of town and out of harms way. But i aint gonna demand the money from these angry residents.

Edited by MJo

now i understand more of the problem. Wuite logical that they want that opened more. It drains through BKK straight in the sea. Its madness blocking North to South connections and expecting the locals to endure more hardship.

It might GO through Bangkok straight to the sea, but how much will it flood on the way ... especially as it goes past Suvarnabhumi and not far from the Lam Lukka industrial estate.

Its a canal going straight to the sea.... They are not utilizing it keeping many people flooded deeper and longer. True.. there is a risk.. but id say take it. But that is because i am living flooded (this canal wont affect me)

I agree.

Spare no one.

Screw everyone.

If the situation can be made worse, go for it.

Leave no one untouched.

Makes a lot of sense.

I can fully sympathise with these people, I am now into the second week of waist deep water, and with every none metal or plastic piece of furniture ruined, not to mention 2 submerged aircon compressors and walls covered in slime, plus the all pervading sewer smell. They have endured this three times longer than me! I think many here have no idea what this is like.

We are suffering to protect inner Bangkok, but is Bangkok grateful, will they help us refurnish and repair our homes? Obviously as a farang that is out of the question, but what about the Thais?

Just what is being protected that is so important, inner Bangkok is a commercial centre, yes a nexus of head offices, but what use are they with their up country factories and manufacturing bases destroyed. Just tell me in simple language just what is so vital in inner Bangkok that my home is ruined? Then convince the Thais in my area.

These people live from week to week, unlike the salaried elite in Bangkok, how can they start again from scratch, how will they cope with the filth and destruction of their communities. Bangkok has a lot to answer for, I hope they have some damned good answers.

YOU should have moved your belongings before the floods came to your home. Oh?? no one told you to??? many people north of you "suffered" for weeks already. YOU had WEEKS to see this coming...

An idiotic response to a national disaster. I suppose you are one the people looking for a second home outside the flood zones so that you can live out the next flood in comfort. It would be interesting if all 2.5 million people up to their necks in water decided to evacuate to your precious safe haven..... and what contribution did you make to assist these victims. I guess nothing. I can imagine your preferred role in a WWII concentration camp.

"I suppose", "It would be interesting", "I guess", "I can imagine"... Guessing and assumptions, this is the MO of a lot of posters on these threads.

What exactly is idiotic about my post?

"There has to be some management and control to have the BEST outcome with the LEAST damage.. The gov has to take control... communicate... and do the BEST they can while making careful decisions made by those most qualified... NOT based on decisions by a few people that are "suffering" near Bangkok." Seems pretty reasonable to me..

And if one wants to prevent their things from being damaged by a approaching flood, one has to move them.. Seems reasonable to me also...

I am completely objective about what is happening there. I just got tired of reading silly comments blaming this side or that side... One thing I'm sure of is the "mobs" are not qualified to manage this and should be shackled in jail of they take action on their own..

I am fully in agreement with these people, why should they endure more days of flooding just to keep a few places dry! Here in Don Muang I as still experiencing rising water in my house, I will be unable to work today and will lose income because of it, why should I have a few more days of this if it can be lessened?

Not wishing to sound callous but the answer to your question is simple; you should have a few more days of inconvenience because you, directly or otherwise, made the decision to live in a part of the country the government considers to be less economically important to Thailand than certain parts of Bangkok. Like those who choose to live in places that are prone to, say, earthquakes or hurricanes - you've chosen to live with the inherent risk of things going pear-shaped. In some countries, the authorities offer effective assistance and relief in the event of disaster but, as you should be painfully aware by now, Thailand is not one of them. We've all made the decision to live in a country that has a history of political instability and, of course, flooding - if things go Pete Tong and we suffer as a result, we have only ourselves to blame.

I appreciate that your anger has its roots in the immediate effect the situation's had on your life but if it were reversed, with, say, you living in a dry area of BKK threatened by flood water, would you be so keen to have the sluice gate opened?

Edit: Decided not to bring myself down the same level and deleted my post.

Nothing else I can say to this post which would somehow not be insulting.

Edited by monkfish

While I may not agree with the actions of these people in forcing open flood gates and tearing down barriers to try and get some relief from the flooding in their area, I can fully understand their anger and frustration.

These people are tired of the property, their houses and their lives being destroyed just save precious Bangkok year after year. How would you feel if your moo ban was flooded year in and year out just to so the one next to you could be saved? If you can imagine that, then you can understand these people and their actions.

While Yingluck & Company can be, and should be, blamed for the mismanagement of this situation, they can't be blamed for the flood itself. And no one can convince me that any other government could/would do a better job.

For to many years the rich and powerful, which means about .05% of the population, have been allowed to destroy what is, supposedly, protected forest areas to build their mansions and resorts, thereby destroying the ecological balance that Mother Nature provided. For too many years these same people have built, or have allowed to be built, factories, housing and condo projects, and other structures in low lying areas that block the natural flow of water, with zero forethought of what might happen. For too many years the experts, both Thai and foreign, have done studies, made recommendations, and issued serious warnings about what could/would happen, but since there was no "graft" or "corruption" money in it for anyone, they were ignored.

If anyone is to blame for this situation it is EVERY member of EVERY government for the past 50+ years since the last flood for not doing what was necessary to prevent it from happening again.

The one good thing from this is now maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the experts and finally do what needs to be done for ALL of Thailand, and not just Bangkok. We can only hope.

Now is not the time to point fingers more so pointing 50 years back

This is why the Emergency needed to be declared.

This rash action by a mob was a forgone conclusion.

And nothing is strong enough to stand up to it at the present juncture.

Flood control can NOT EVER be left to the mercurial whims of enraged Mobs.

Lets not go overboard.. They didnt smash the gates open.. the gates were raised from 80cm to 1m.. A 20% increase..

A 20% increase in one sluice gate is being blamed for coming Armageddon.. Looks far more like a power play to me, bangkok governor wanting to take no risk, to focus only on his problem and no one elses.

We dont know (with the information given) that 20% increase in one sluice gate will play out.. It may be the best for ALL parties and bangkok still doesn't get flooded.

My issue with this is that such decisions should not be political ones. It is absolutely ridiculous that the PM would get involved in the nuts and bolts of disaster control. She should be supporting the technical officials trying to contain the damage, not undermining their decisions. That way lies madness.

Succinctly put.

Sweet platitudes don't supply much confidence either.

inner Bangkok dry, you get relief , food,

shelter and donation......inner Bangkok wet you get nothing because now people have to worry for themself, simple as that.

Donations?!!! You're dreaming. Thai people have no concept of charity! They could watch you die in the street.... Just look how wealth is distributed in a RICH country like Thailand. How many humanitarian THAI organizations do you know of?

Rubbish! The staff in my company organised a collection to help flood victims weeks ago as they did when the Tsunami hit in 2004. They are now organising work parties to clean staff members houses that have been flooded. Get over your prejudice and have a look around you. Or is your comment just a Freudian slip reflecting your own attitude and your like mInded friends?

inner Bangkok dry, you get relief , food,

shelter and donation......inner Bangkok wet you get nothing because now people have to worry for themself, simple as that.

Donations?!!! You're dreaming. Thai people have no concept of charity! They could watch you die in the street.... Just look how wealth is distributed in a RICH country like Thailand. How many humanitarian THAI organizations do you know of?

Rubbish! The staff in my company organised a collection to help flood victims weeks ago as they did when the Tsunami hit in 2004. They are now organising work parties to clean staff members houses that have been flooded. Get over your prejudice and have a look around you. Or is your comment just a Freudian slip reflecting your own attitude and your like mInded friends?

Did your people pay special tax for the privilege of keeping themselves dry while others are submerged?

This clearly is double standard.

I support the poor to fight for their equal right.

Did your people pay special tax for the privilege of keeping themselves dry while others are submerged?

This clearly is double standard.

I support the poor to fight for their equal right.

Double standard?

Hundreds of thousands of people are out of work because industrial estates are flooded. Some of those are flooded and more are at risk because locals think that everyone should be flooded, just because they are. These locals are destroying the lives of others - ALSO POOR - by flooding more areas and especially by flooding industrial estates.

The short sightedness of many on this forum amazes me. If Bangkok floods, the situation will only get worse. Right now they're already slashing the economic growth of the country by several percentage points. With Bangkok making up almost half of the countries GDP, guess what will happen to the economy if the city floods for several weeks? Companies shut down, economy will shrink, more people will lose their jobs (lots of them not living in Bangkok, only working there...). And why? Because others want another "quick fix" to their own problems.

I say again, I feel incredibly sorry for those who have lost their homes, everything they had, and are now desperately waiting for the water to drain, but just putting that same water on your neighbor's porch is not going to fix this problem for the country as a whole. The individual needs will have to be set aside for the good of the country, difficult as that may be.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to choose sides here on a political basis. This is just common sense, try to limit the damage to those areas already hit. Using this disaster for political gain is a very sad state of affairs, which just goes to show how low the political climate in this country has sunk.

If it ends suffering a week earlier im all for it. Then we can all start to rebuild. The Thai economy is still growing according to forecasts. It wont mean a breakdown of everything. Right now i have been living flooded for more then a week. (and could not get out because of flooded roads before that). Im getting sick of it.

Opening this gate wont help me, but i understand how the people are feeling. Maybe if the people on the other side of the gate compensated them for 10.000 bt a head for staying longer in the water they would agree.

Now they are taking an extra hit and later can only beg for handouts. While the people on the dry side go on acting like nothing happened.

The Thai economy is still growing according to forecasts??? What news are you checking? I quote:

"The central bank last week slashed its economic growth forecast for 2011 to 2.9 percent from 4.1 percent after floods swamped almost 10,000 factories and threatened to seep into the capital."

Guess what will happen when Bangkok floods as well for a few weeks? Letting Bangkok flood will not end the suffering a week earlier, it will exacerbate it. Those in the poorer provinces who rely on money sent by family members from Bangkok will no longer get this income. Companies will relocate because of the poor management, as well as the view that the government lets itself push over by a few thousand people with hoes and rakes. I'm sure you are in a poor situation right now, and I feel for you. But flooding Bangkok will not change the fact that your home is flooded and that the damage is already done. The company I work for is right in the middle of Bang Bua Thong, and many of my colleagues have been affected and forced out of their homes, while the company itself remains dry due to the relentless efforts of our local staff to build and reinforce the dykes they put up, so I am not ignorant to the situation. But "sharing the burden" just does not work in this case.

You don't seem to understand that 2.9% growth mean that the economy is growing. Not sure why you don't understand something so simple.

It's not me who's not getting it, it's you. As another post already clarified, quarter 4 actually is seeing a contraction of the economy. There might still be growth for the whole year of 2011, but that's not to say that the economic situation right now is all that great. Now, if inner Bangkok were to flood, paralyzing the central business district, main shopping malls and what have you, that 2.9% growth that is left might still be wiped out because Q4 will go down as one of the worst in history. After that, there's the clean up and recovery. That alone will take months, so you can slash a few percentage points off your forecast figured for 2012 as well. I'm sorry, but this is simple economics. Flooding Bangkok is NOT the answer to this problem, whatever people might say.

This is why the Emergency needed to be declared.

This rash action by a mob was a forgone conclusion.

And nothing is strong enough to stand up to it at the present juncture.

Flood control can NOT EVER be left to the mercurial whims of enraged Mobs.

Lets not go overboard.. They didnt smash the gates open.. the gates were raised from 80cm to 1m.. A 20% increase..

A 20% increase in one sluice gate is being blamed for coming Armageddon.. Looks far more like a power play to me, bangkok governor wanting to take no risk, to focus only on his problem and no one elses.

We dont know (with the information given) that 20% increase in one sluice gate will play out.. It may be the best for ALL parties and bangkok still doesn't get flooded.

My issue with this is that such decisions should not be political ones. It is absolutely ridiculous that the PM would get involved in the nuts and bolts of disaster control. She should be supporting the technical officials trying to contain the damage, not undermining their decisions. That way lies madness.

Totally agree.. But that would imply impartial advisers being listened to.

Of course the center is more important if everyone of the center of BKK were to give 10.000 bt to ease the suffering of others because they wanted to stay dry then yes. It would be fair. Now the people here have nothing to win from keeping BKK dry.

You usually come up as reasonable guy but looks like this situation is starting to take it's toll. Understandable.

But people in dry area to pay money to 10k per head, i mean seriously get real. Keeping BKK CBD dry will bring way more than 10k per head for the clean up operation.

You must understand that flooding BKK CBD will most likely mean you personally and tens of thousands of other are out of job. Even months after the water is gone. Not to mention the impact on government finances which will result even less being invested to infrastructure to sort out these issues with flooding etc. Seriously, flooding BKK will have negative effect on each and every thai and expat alike in the country. Just a simple fact. So it is very short sighted to put bkk at risk for the sake of 1000 angry residents. I would call it criminal and if it happens that BKK now floods i'm sure someone will be held accountable. But maybe that is the main reason to flood the city, political and personal gain...

Then other thing is that your property is already flooded and damage is done. Week less or week more does not count much when you are already flooded it won't cost more to fix so it is just of convenience people want now to flood the rest of the town.

And last have you ever considered the possibility that most likely you would be flooded as bad even in the case BKK was not protected at all or the gates would have been opened since day one?

This might sound hard but just the facts, i do feel for everyone who is flooded. For myself the house is still ok i hear. Out of country working but cost me already over 30k to get my pregnant wife and our toddler out of town and out of harms way. But i aint gonna demand the money from these angry residents.

I dont need the money i can take care of myself. THe thing is people are being sacrificed for others. The least they then can do is compensate them. Ok we will keep the water here longer but you give us xxxx to keep it here then you stay dry and don't loose money.

The dams and dykes are only making it worse for many people, i am all for diverting water but not for blocking it and giving others more water. I am on the other side of the river from this sluice gate. It has no impact on me what so ever.

But when you protect area's that are more valuable and then intentionally flood others i can 100% understand the anger. Compensation might help.

Sure i might be a bit harsh now in my opinions because i am flooded. But the fact is dams make other area's flood more, unless there is a way for the water too go. They are quite good at making dams here but they give the water no other alternative then to flood residential area's that are considered less important. They get more water then they normally should.

Im pretty sure you would be pissed off too when your neighbor builds a dam and that dam causes your house to flood more. Then your neighbor claims he is more important but wont compensate or thank you.

But all i am saying is take as much water as possible but they seem to be intent on not taking any risks. I say gradually increase the water flow and if it has no real bad affects go on. Else stop.

If it ends suffering a week earlier im all for it. Then we can all start to rebuild. The Thai economy is still growing according to forecasts. It wont mean a breakdown of everything. Right now i have been living flooded for more then a week. (and could not get out because of flooded roads before that). Im getting sick of it.

Opening this gate wont help me, but i understand how the people are feeling. Maybe if the people on the other side of the gate compensated them for 10.000 bt a head for staying longer in the water they would agree.

Now they are taking an extra hit and later can only beg for handouts. While the people on the dry side go on acting like nothing happened.

The Thai economy is still growing according to forecasts??? What news are you checking? I quote:

"The central bank last week slashed its economic growth forecast for 2011 to 2.9 percent from 4.1 percent after floods swamped almost 10,000 factories and threatened to seep into the capital."

Guess what will happen when Bangkok floods as well for a few weeks? Letting Bangkok flood will not end the suffering a week earlier, it will exacerbate it. Those in the poorer provinces who rely on money sent by family members from Bangkok will no longer get this income. Companies will relocate because of the poor management, as well as the view that the government lets itself push over by a few thousand people with hoes and rakes. I'm sure you are in a poor situation right now, and I feel for you. But flooding Bangkok will not change the fact that your home is flooded and that the damage is already done. The company I work for is right in the middle of Bang Bua Thong, and many of my colleagues have been affected and forced out of their homes, while the company itself remains dry due to the relentless efforts of our local staff to build and reinforce the dykes they put up, so I am not ignorant to the situation. But "sharing the burden" just does not work in this case.

You don't seem to understand that 2.9% growth mean that the economy is growing. Not sure why you don't understand something so simple.

It's not me who's not getting it, it's you. As another post already clarified, quarter 4 actually is seeing a contraction of the economy. There might still be growth for the whole year of 2011, but that's not to say that the economic situation right now is all that great. Now, if inner Bangkok were to flood, paralyzing the central business district, main shopping malls and what have you, that 2.9% growth that is left might still be wiped out because Q4 will go down as one of the worst in history. After that, there's the clean up and recovery. That alone will take months, so you can slash a few percentage points off your forecast figured for 2012 as well. I'm sorry, but this is simple economics. Flooding Bangkok is NOT the answer to this problem, whatever people might say.

Yes simple economics.. the economy will still have grown in 2011 and 2012 but less. In the period of flooding the economy would have contracted but on a whole its not that bad. There is still growth. Simple economics. But you focus on the negative (a bit less growth)

I saw a clip on the television where Wat Arun was being successfully protected by a big wall of sandbags and metal sheets. But of course all the surrounding neighborhood was flooded.

Do readers here think that if that community broke down those walls and flooded Wat Arun, the water levels in their surrounding neighborhoods would go down?