Getting Emails From Unknown Sources

nong38

Hello chums, I hope you can help with this problem that has recently started. I have been getting emails from people I dont know the subjest is always the same "thought you might be interested." I have a friend who does send me circulars and he has been getting the same things, he believes that one character "gibbo" has stolen his contact list as we are both getting the same circulars as mentioned above and from other people who my friend recognizes but I do not know of.

Does anyone have any thoughts of whats going on and is there any way I can stop it, thanks for any sensible replies. I have not opened any of the suspect mails, deleted can keep doing that but its annoying. Any help, thanks.:angry:

Sounds like SPAM to me. I used to get some like that, but a long time ago. In fact I thought most places had stopped that sort of spam. But if you have been on a site and sent some info, be it a Thanksgiving card or something, your address is often passed on.

Could be that someone has CC'd your address in a mass e-mail to people and been picked up from another computer.

Add the mail(s) to your spam list and they should automatically go to your Spam box and you will not have to view them.

edit - typo

Edited by McGarty

Sounds like SPAM to me. I used to get some like that, but a long time ago. In fact I thought most places had stopped that sort of spam. But if you have been on a site and sent some info, be it a Thanksgiving card or something, your address is often passed on.

Could be that someone has CC'd your address in a mass e-mail to people and been picked up from another computer.

Add the mail(s) to your spam list and they should automatically go to your Spam box and you will not have to view them.

edit - typo

I never send emails to groups only one ata time, cant think of any site I have sent info to, I think they have come to me through a freind who does to group emails as he is getting the same and so are some on his group list.

Now I am not expert with pc things so how to I find the spam list and how do I add??? Thanks for the thoughts and help.

edit - typo

I never send emails to groups only one ata time, cant think of any site I have sent info to, I think they have come to me through a freind who does to group emails as he is getting the same and so are some on his group list.

Now I am not expert with pc things so how to I find the spam list and how do I add??? Thanks for the thoughts and help.

Yes it's likely that someone has your name in a group and their computer has been infected and SPAM is distributed to all on that group list.

Depends on your email software how you report SPAM. Yahoo has a button to report SPAM.

I have hotmail, cant see anything will have another look and have tightened up my AVG security, thanks for the advice chums.

In hotmail, select the message and either

=> "Mark as" => Phishing Scam

or

=> "Move to" => Junk

Both should eliminate further such mails in short time

I have hotmail, cant see anything will have another look and have tightened up my AVG security, thanks for the advice chums.

In hotmail, select the message and either

=> "Mark as" => Phishing Scam

or

=> "Move to" => Junk

Both should eliminate further such mails in short time

I did that right away but they still keep turning up in junk, well I can just deal with them in junk as a scam, thanks for your words.

Edited by nong38

This seems to be happening a lot lately. I have 4-5 friends whose contact list has been compromised. I'm getting junk email from them.

I think once their contact list has been copied, not much you can do about it. Just delete the emails that you get.

As mentioned above, if you ever see somebody send you an email and your address is exposed on the "CC" list, tell them to only use the "BCC" list as it potentially exposes your email address to nasty spam bots.

This seems to be happening a lot lately. I have 4-5 friends whose contact list has been compromised. I'm getting junk email from them.

I think once their contact list has been copied, not much you can do about it. Just delete the emails that you get.

As mentioned above, if you ever see somebody send you an email and your address is exposed on the "CC" list, tell them to only use the "BCC" list as it potentially exposes your email address to nasty spam bots.

Thanks for that bit of extra information, have a good day, always.