Electricity Unit - Chiang Mai

gypsyrodeo

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering about the price of an unit for electricity (in Chiang Mai). What is the average price?

I'm looking into The Loft in Chiang Mai for a long stay; they charge 8 baht per unit for the monthly rent. How does it compare with government electric company unitst?

Also is there a chance to be cheated if paying the electricity directly to the rental apartment versus government electric company?

Has anyone stayed at The Loft? If so, How was the experience?

Thanks!

The government prices are tiered prices based off of usage and infrastructure. Anywhere from ~3.5B to ~5B per unit. The Loft, being a larger(commercial) unit, is probably paying somewhere between ~3.5B and ~4.5B per unit.

Really depends on you usage. We have a 8B/unit rate here and we avg under 1000B/month. Other places charge 7B/unit and 6b/unit, but that would only change the bill to about 125B. Not really something to worry about over a month.

re ... Has anyone stayed at The Loft?

i was thinking about moving there about three years ago until someone in here told me about diffa

the night club next door that doesnt start till midnight : (

its still there plus the playhouse and there are even more new bars behind the loft now

ive never been to hear what the volume of the musics like but beware ... thais seem to like it loud : (

dave2

ps .. i pay 7 baht unit .... avge month 1000 to 1500 inc ac and fan

post-42592-0-17446900-1320306994_thumb.j

post-42592-0-51539500-1320307032_thumb.j

post-42592-0-85963600-1320307059_thumb.j

Also is there a chance to be cheated if paying the electricity directly to the rental apartment versus government electric company?

They could indeed mess with the meter, though there'd be no way to pay lecky company direct as they simply charge the whole building as opposed to going around meters individually, then condo charges you +mark-up. Showers & air-cons use the lion's share of the juice. Have a room on the shaded side, get the air-con cleaned regularly, and shower under tepid water if one is on a budget. ;)

Also, check out the meter for your room. If its not right outside your room, you may have to ask for access for a few minutes.. Try turning everything off in the room and see if it's still running. You may also want to check how fast it runs when the air or hotwater machines are running.

Overall though, I doubt you will have any problems with them trying to cheat you.

They could indeed mess with the meter, though there'd be no way to pay lecky company direct as they simply charge the whole building as opposed to going around meters individually, then condo charges you +mark-up. Showers & air-cons use the lion's share of the juice. Have a room on the shaded side, get the air-con cleaned regularly, and shower under tepid water if one is on a budget. ;)

I have a private residence (Inside Moat) and pay 3.67/unit

(Monthly usage 6-700 units)

'Private residence inside the moat' eh? Sounds very posh!

A sharp contrast to our 3 bedroomed bungalow 11kms out of the centre (and let me be more specific and helpful to the OP) where we hardly ever use air-con. The only hot water is inside the kettle twice a day, and we have never paid more than 550b per month for electricity.

The house has its own meter and in this development there are no margins added by the property developer. A housing developer not far away charges a western tenant over 2,000b per month for very similar useage.

My friends in condos say it is commonplace for managements to add a %-age to electricity bills.

Caveat user!

A sharp contrast to our 3 bedroomed bungalow 11kms out of the centre (and let me be more specific and helpful to the OP) where we hardly ever use air-con. The only hot water is inside the kettle twice a day, and we have never paid more than 550b per month for electricity.

The house has its own meter and in this development there are no margins added by the property developer. A housing developer not far away charges a western tenant over 2,000b per month for very similar useage.

My friends in condos say it is commonplace for managements to add a %-age to electricity bills.

Caveat user!

and we have never paid more than 550b per month for electricity.

So, how much per unit?

Caveat user!

and we have never paid more than 550b per month for electricity.

So, how much per unit?

Sorry, have to wait till 'er indoors gets back indoors this evening. Her filing system is a piling system........

The government unit is about 3.47 baht per unit including tax.

'Er indoors just came in and found the print out in Amazingly quick time.

Our last bill was just under 470 baht.

We are paying 3.03 baht per unit plus 7% VAT, ie a total of 3.2421 baht per unit.

This is for a small, 3 bedroom, single storey home in Sansai postal district, with almost no use of air con or hot water.

Not much incentive to invest in solar panels, then, huh?

Its in an area next to some outdoor bars, nightclub, cabaret.... Not full on bass-thumping, but in middle of the night, it can be really noticeable.

Thanks everyone, I'm not on such a tight budget,but just want to make sure i don't get cheated. you all rock!biggrin.gif

PS: is that true that The Loft is next to noisy nightclubs?

Gypsyrodeo

Thanks everyone, I'm not on such a tight budget,but just want to make sure i don't get cheated. you all rock!biggrin.gif

PS: is that true that The Loft is next to noisy nightclubs?

Gypsyrodeo

Most landlords in Chiang Mai treat utilities as a profit-maker. It's a hidden cost in their quoted rents. In your case, they are basically doubling the electricity price as a convenience tho their tenants and you just have to factor that in as being part of the rent.