Govt 'Will Heed' His Majesty's Advice : PM Yingluck

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how come they didn't heed his advice before? He started developing integrated water management and the canal system well before 1985. he also started warning bureaucrats and business hustlers about blocking canals a long time ago. They never listened then, why will they listen to him now? The post by Tom nails it. They will pay lip service to his advice now, then there will be a new government by coup or "election" , then they will forget all about it in an all out effort to grab money , circumvent law, step on ordinary people, an keep pocketing the skim. Then when the next flood comes, it will be a big surprise all over again.

Only one familly here take care is country with heart and respect is the ROYAL FAMILLY many people dream to be love like them and ready to make bad for have same respect them

all of you live with corruption and power you can forget never people will love you for what your are maybee you think but love you only for profit

Your king advice you about this problem many years before, after you built factory on field and you ask why have problem which people with brain can ask that are you not shy?

many people here need to go school for learn about logic

i hope this country one day wake up and try to find the way for the governement stop to do think like that with Thai people, i hope too people before speak turn 7 times toungue inside mounth because with what i saw on TV I m shy for them

long live to your KING

in live have people think to know and people with knowledge who are u ?

I believe if you are going to blame anyone it should be the election committee .

We've heard from the dam administrators that the dams were not full at the beginning of July and then we had a lot of rain through July and then August and September filling the dams.

They didn't release waters when they should have and this coincided with the election aftermath where, amongst other things, due to frivolous yellow shirt attempts to get Yingluk impeached the new government were prevented from taking office for over a month. The democrats were notionally in charge. Barnham and his party controlled the agriculture ministry responsible for the dams and irrigation and they still do!

The new government was running through its policies with the electorate and nobody was really paying attention to the impact of the flooding.

So blame Pheu Thai. Blame the democrats. Blame Chart Thai. Blame the water authorities. This is a perfect storm.

I point out that there was a power vacuum at the crucial time so I blame the Election committee as well.

Saw the british ambassador on TV last night and he talked a lot of sense and believes the thai people, working together will overcome this . Things are coming back slowly. Tesco's etc are restocking. New supply chains. The water contines to come. We're dry but for how much longer who knows.

This will happen again next year so now they are going to have to undertake major works. Like the BTS and airport major works have to be carried out. The future lies with the khlongs.

The election committee had 30 days to review all complaints. The new government were not going to be in office until the start of August regardless of who complained. The rains from the tropical storms didn't start until late August. The same party was in charge of the dams through all of this time.

There were other delays like the delay for Yingluk waiting for assent.Yingluk saluting the photo as shown on TV.

The rains started in late July I thought but early July at the dam, and they've been on the news media explaining their actions, they were worrying about another drought and conserving as much water as they could. I'm just saying there was a power vacuum at the crucial time and no-ne picked up the baton.

A year from now, all of these grand plans will be shelved, the country's government will again be too busy money and power grabbing to do anything of substantial good as HM has suggested. It takes very little time for Thai people to 'forgive and forget', even if it is a massive flood. And then 5, 10, 20 years down the line when there is another massive flood, the whole cycle will repeat itself.

It will be MUCH sooner.

Incredible.I thought you were one of the more reasonable critics of the government.Turns out otherwise.If you really don't understand why your comments are so misguided, I can't help you.Nobody's denying where ultimate authority lies by the way.

Anyway I found the link.

Which comments are misguided? Does Yingluck have control or not?

The interview was interesting. Abhisit talked about the government "being clear" about what it was doing, which has been the major complaint by nearly everyone. And not a problem that Sukhumband has. He also mentioned that Yingluck has the power, so use it.

And he acknowledged that there was a HUGE volume of water still north of Bangkok, and that the government is much better off actually helping the people prepare for reality of a month of serious floods and more rising waters. Rather than sugar coated spurious promises of " we're almost through it,", which is clearly false and misleading."

The election committee had 30 days to review all complaints. The new government were not going to be in office until the start of August regardless of who complained. The rains from the tropical storms didn't start until late August. The same party was in charge of the dams through all of this time.

There were other delays like the delay for Yingluk waiting for assent.Yingluk saluting the photo as shown on TV.

The rains started in late July I thought but early July at the dam, and they've been on the news media explaining their actions, they were worrying about another drought and conserving as much water as they could. I'm just saying there was a power vacuum at the crucial time and no-ne picked up the baton.

There were no delays beyond the 30 days that the election commission had. Parliament was formed on August 3 (IIRC) and Yingluck elected PM a day or two later ... as is normal procedure.

Yes ... Normal wet season rains were occurring in July. Then flooding started at the end of July with TS Nock-ten causing floods in the North and North East, with the central area (incl. Ayutthaya) being affected towards the end of August. Outer Bangkok was being affected by mid-September, and the serious problems (industrial estates flooding - which means a lot more flooding in general) started in Ayutthaya at the start of October.

I don't think there was a power vacuum. There was a care-taker government in July and a new government in August, with the same department heads and same party controlling the department. They didn't need the go ahead from cabinet to do what was normal for them every year. If the water was held in the dams for too long, then the heads of that department are to blame. In the end though, there was probably always going to be too much water for the dams, but it could have been managed better at the start.

I believe if you are going to blame anyone it should be the election committee .

We've heard from the dam administrators that the dams were not full at the beginning of July and then we had a lot of rain through July and then August and September filling the dams.

They didn't release waters when they should have and this coincided with the election aftermath where, amongst other things, due to frivolous yellow shirt attempts to get Yingluk impeached the new government were prevented from taking office for over a month. The democrats were notionally in charge. Barnham and his party controlled the agriculture ministry responsible for the dams and irrigation and they still do!

The new government was running through its policies with the electorate and nobody was really paying attention to the impact of the flooding.

So blame Pheu Thai. Blame the democrats. Blame Chart Thai. Blame the water authorities. This is a perfect storm.

I point out that there was a power vacuum at the crucial time so I blame the Election committee as well.

Saw the british ambassador on TV last night and he talked a lot of sense and believes the thai people, working together will overcome this . Things are coming back slowly. Tesco's etc are restocking. New supply chains. The water contines to come. We're dry but for how much longer who knows.

This will happen again next year so now they are going to have to undertake major works. Like the BTS and airport major works have to be carried out. The future lies with the khlongs.

As 'presumed incoming government' they had the right to meet the' Care Taker PM' and point out that they would like the dams drained faster. He would be obliged to look into it. As Caretaker he was not obliged to do more than keep the rudder straight ahead, without that consultation no major moves. It was not a crushing emergency when he left office, but was a worry that it could be. PTP didn't even have it on their radar, until one Cabinet Minister it seems said 'DON'T DRAIN THE DAMS' in early Sept.

The political infighting should not have been so much of a distraction for an awaiting government, unless they let it be one. In the job there will ALWAYS be competing distractions, if they can NOT deal with them during the confirmation period, HOW will they deal with REAL problems on many fronts. Why should we be worried by a one eye government with tunnel vision, and no depth perception?

Oh wait we are seeing how well they do that now....

Edited by animatic

There were no delays beyond the 30 days that the election commission had. Parliament was formed on August 3 (IIRC) and Yingluck elected PM a day or two later ... as is normal procedure.

Yes ... Normal wet season rains were occurring in July. Then flooding started at the end of July with TS Nock-ten causing floods in the North and North East, with the central area (incl. Ayutthaya) being affected towards the end of August. Outer Bangkok was being affected by mid-September, and the serious problems (industrial estates flooding - which means a lot more flooding in general) started in Ayutthaya at the start of October.

I don't think there was a power vacuum. There was a care-taker government in July and a new government in August, with the same department heads and same party controlling the department. They didn't need the go ahead from cabinet to do what was normal for them every year. If the water was held in the dams for too long, then the heads of that department are to blame. In the end though, there was probably always going to be too much water for the dams, but it could have been managed better at the start.

Your wasting your time replying to the reds they are only, once again, trying to score some silly political points.

how come they didn't heed his advice before? He started developing integrated water management and the canal system well before 1985. he also started warning bureaucrats and business hustlers about blocking canals a long time ago. They never listened then, why will they listen to him now? The post by Tom nails it. They will pay lip service to his advice now, then there will be a new government by coup or "election" , then they will forget all about it in an all out effort to grab money , circumvent law, step on ordinary people, an keep pocketing the skim. Then when the next flood comes, it will be a big surprise all over again.

This most elegant, intelligent, devoted, dedicated, and capable man, King Bhumipol has devoted his life to making this country great. When small minded people ignore his wisdom, what happens? These kinds of issues. Many experts feel this could either have been avoided, or that the fallout would have been far less, had they prepared properly. This does not happen in the Netherlands any more, due to fastidious management, the expenditure of huge amounts of money, and clever people running the show. Imagine that kind of thing happening here? Will anything be learned from all of this pain, loss, and suffering? My heart goes out to the common Thai people, who have shown remarkable poise, and the ability to deal with tremendous adversity.

YS should have listen to the King's advice at the beginning.

It is too late now. She should migrate to Essex.

Nay nay steady on there Sparebox2: that would make 'Essex Girls' look intelligent and thus end decades of them being a butt of UK humour. Whilst I have never met an 'Essex Girl' I am sure they are super ladies and would not want to be dragged down to the incompetent level of someone like YS.

A comment on moderation has been removed. One can find the answer to the question if the Forum Rules were reviewed, in particular:

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

Some derogatory comments have been removed.

Off topic but may I respectfully ask how I can ask a questtion or two from 'any' global moderator of tvf? Maybe a GM can contact me direct but I am not sure.

Help Topic: Contacting the staff

If you need to contact a moderator, or simply wish to view the complete administration team, you can click the link 'The moderating team' found at the bottom of the main board page. This list will show you administrators and moderators.

Note that you can report content to all staff by pressing the "report.png Report" button when viewing the content.

Also IM message box ( envelope) is under all the mods avatars

and names left top of any post.

==============================

The blue title bar has a Contact Us message box

http://www.thaivisa....ntact/Itemid,3/

Welcome new members page

http://www.thaivisa....mbers-25542011/

And last but not least.

The Forum Support Desk.

http://www.thaivisa....m-support-desk/

Edited by animatic

This most elegant, intelligent, devoted, dedicated, and capable man, King Bhumipol has devoted his life to making this country great. When small minded people ignore his wisdom, what happens? These kinds of issues. Many experts feel this could either have been avoided, or that the fallout would have been far less, had they prepared properly. This does not happen in the Netherlands any more, due to fastidious management, the expenditure of huge amounts of money, and clever people running the show. Imagine that kind of thing happening here? Will anything be learned from all of this pain, loss, and suffering? My heart goes out to the common Thai people, who have shown remarkable poise, and the ability to deal with tremendous adversity.

I echo your sentiments about HM a thousand times - with my little (miniscule) knowledge of Thailand and its history I would venture to say he has done more for Thailand, and in particular THE PEOPLE, than anyone else in Thailand's history. As a UK Royalist at heart God Bless HM and may the powers that be listen to Him and subsequent governments here follow his strategies.

A year from now, all of these grand plans will be shelved, the country's government will again be too busy money and power grabbing to do anything of substantial good as HM has suggested. It takes very little time for Thai people to 'forgive and forget', even if it is a massive flood. And then 5, 10, 20 years down the line when there is another massive flood, the whole cycle will repeat itself.

Tom,

Well said.

The difference of opinion I have is Thais here in Isaan are like elephants, they never forget. Forgiveness can be purchased, temporarily. Hopefully Bangkokians and those in the central are a little closer to what you say. I suppose any populist government can only try to please all the people some of the time. Unfortunate but true that Thai governments usually end up only having to please such a select few. If history does repeat itself, then well and good, at least we will all know what to expect, TIT.

… at least we will know what to expect.

Exactly, right on the ball I knew that already fifty years ago when looking for a place to reside in the greater BKK Metropolitan and surrounding area. My first stop was looking at a Topographical Map for high area(s). Not listening to Thai bar girl/wife were to live, like the majority of farang do. Even the last three properties are High and Dry. I have to thank Homan van der Heide for that whose book - in Dutch - I read in the library of the Indiese Museum of Amsterdam when studying to become a maintenance engineer to work in foreign lands, starting with Nederland Oost Indie (Indonesia).

If Holland would handle water control (Hydraulic Engineering) as Thailand does then there never would have been a place called Holland, the name of the two provinces Noord Holland (NH) and Zuid Holland (SH). The name says it; "hol" low in English.

This is not to belittle the Thais. In my working life I have been associated with people of many countries who were, and many still are today, pure unadulterated procrastinators.

[Late 16th century. < Latin procrastinat- , past participle of procrastinare "put off until tomorrow" < cras "tomorrow"]

As you can see not something of recent Thailand, been part of some human personalities for centuries.

Yes, the Dutch made mistakes also; the Biesbosch by Rotterdam is such a place. Also for centuries people and animals (cattle) did live behind the dikes, until mid-twentieth century Mother Nature did let her fury loose and blew the North Sea over the dikes.

No Procrastination here. Immediately back to work repairing the damage and what to do next? An Outer Dike was thrown up along the coast of North and South Holland provinces. The cost of this huge project was partially offset with the new farmland located between the new Outer Dike and the centuries old Inner Dike. And a new Law; "By Sundown no living creature(s) allowed to remain between Our and Inner Dike until Sunup next morning. Just in case Mother Nature looses her temper again some day in the hopefully far distant future.

Since then the River Maas by Rotterdam has a huge door installed which can be closed anytime the North sea gets a bit rambunctious to stop North Sea water getting up the River Maas to cause flooding?

Then further South the Schelde Estuary has an extensive multi gates system to stop the North Sea when it gets rambunctious driving its water up the estuary and causing extensive flooding. The Dutch now sort of feel very smug with Global Warming Sea Level increases, at least for the time being they are protected because all this new work had been designed and constructed with ample height.

There is hope for Thailand, but first the Thai procrastinators have to get off their dead asses.

LOL in LOS

Edited by swerver

A comment on moderation has been removed. One can find the answer to the question if the Forum Rules were reviewed, in particular:

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

Sir,

I believe the above refers to one of my messages/postings. I now appreciate that moderation policy is not discussed in open forums (sorry about that) and I am not seeking that it should be. You will see from my 'personal details' I am one of the 'new kids (geriatrics) on the block' and have not, hopefully, ever raised any contentious issues. The questions I wanted to ask, just to get an understanding of how tvf works are as follows: .....

.... Thank you and I hope to receive a 'personal' answer to my queries.

Chris, I just posted all the ways above. You should have kept reading below his message before posting.

Also, I edited out much of your post using Elipses. Which is an approved method of brevity, as long as content being adressed is in the same context.

Edited by animatic

+100% concerning HM concern over His people

Lets pray that some good will come out of all of this, for the future of Thailand and all Thais.

Why should we pray.... corruption here is Never Ending... Let the place destroy itself and start again.... The Devil found a home in Thailand..!

I think you may be right. But the suffering may result in some soul searching that leads to positive changes.

At least I hope so for the sake of my children.

The dams have been filling up since March at rates of up to 500% the average rainfall. It continued into April, May, June and July. The Democrats led by Abhisit did absolutely nothing about it. They already knew that they would lose the election, so it makes sense that they would let the dams fill up, knowing exactly that the entire country would be flooded, only to then blame it on Yingluck when the catastrophe started 1 month after she took office.

Take a look at the rain charts starting March 2011. Why did the dams get drained before the rain season every single year for the past 20-30 years, but this year all the water was kept and then released right when Yingluck took office?

If you can't get rid of the Shinawatras through a coup, then resort to destroying the country. And when the flood starts, quickly blame it on Yingluck and then run away for a few days to the Maldives for holidays. All for the sake of hanging onto power.

If your home gets flooded, you lose your job or your family gets killed, blame it on Abhisit, not on Yingluck.

Edited by mrfarang

The dams have been filling up since March at rates of up to 500% the average rainfall. It continued into April, May, June and July. The Democrats led by Abhisit did absolutely nothing about it.

Wow. I've never seen anyone write so authoritatively about so much without even a basic understanding of what they were talking about. You should win a prize for this one.

Attached is the rainfall data for 2554. I copied it from a screenshot of youtube clip which you can view here if you are interested. It's in Thai but it does have English subtitles. It was posted on another thread.

As you can see, all of the anomalous rain occurred in September. Several Thai meteorologists have gone on record stating they knew the rain was coming and informed the Royal Irrigation Department. Several investigative journalists as well as a personal contact of mine that has intimate knowledge of the government have stated that a powerful, influential upcountry politician associated with the PT party told the RID not to release the flood waters because he didn't want his constituents to suffer from drought next year, thus that giving credibility to the belief that the current government is more capable and will give more prosperity to the upcountry farmers than the previous. The name of this politician is now being closely guarded by the current government.

Sure, this flood is a product of nature, but it was the mismanagement of the dams for political gain by the current government which caused the disaster we are seeing today. It could have been a minor issue if the politicians had not interfered. There would have been flooding, but not that bad. Now it is likely the largest disaster in Thailand's history.

You should really know something about the topic before you post pro Thaksin political nonsense.

post-49676-0-62628600-1320450401_thumb.j

The dams have been filling up since March at rates of up to 500% the average rainfall. It continued into April, May, June and July. The Democrats led by Abhisit did absolutely nothing about it. They already knew that they would lose the election, so it makes sense that they would let the dams fill up, knowing exactly that the entire country would be flooded, only to then blame it on Yingluck when the catastrophe started 1 month after she took office.

Take a look at the rain charts starting March 2011. Why did the dams get drained before the rain season every single year for the past 20-30 years, but this year all the water was kept and then released right when Yingluck took office?

If you can't get rid of the Shinawatras through a coup, then resort to destroying the country. And when the flood starts, quickly blame it on Yingluck and then run away for a few days to the Maldives for holidays. All for the sake of hanging onto power.

If your home gets flooded, you lose your job or your family gets killed, blame it on Abhisit, not on Yingluck.

You obviously don't know that the people in charge of the dams during the previous government are the ones in charge of it now.

As to your 500% of average rainfall crap, got some figures to show us.

You obviously don't know that the people in charge of the dams during the previous government are the ones in charge of it now.

As to your 500% of average rainfall crap, got some figures to show us.

The dams have been filling up since March at rates of up to 500% the average rainfall. It continued into April, May, June and July. The Democrats led by Abhisit did absolutely nothing about it.

Wow. I've never seen anyone write so authoritatively about so much without even a basic understanding of what they were talking about. You should win a prize for this one.

Attached is the rainfall data for 2554. I copied it from a screenshot of youtube clip which you can view here if you are interested. It's in Thai but it does have English subtitles. It was posted on another thread.

As you can see, all of the anomalous rain occurred in September. Several Thai meteorologists have gone on record stating they knew the rain was coming and informed the Royal Irrigation Department. Several investigative journalists as well as a personal contact of mine that has intimate knowledge of the government have stated that a powerful, influential upcountry politician associated with the PT party told the RID not to release the flood waters because he didn't want his constituents to suffer from drought next year, thus that giving credibility to the belief that the current government is more capable and will give more prosperity to the upcountry farmers than the previous. The name of this politician is now being closely guarded by the current government.

Sure, this flood is a product of nature, but it was the mismanagement of the dams for political gain by the current government which caused the disaster we are seeing today. It could have been a minor issue if the politicians had not interfered. There would have been flooding, but not that bad. Now it is likely the largest disaster in Thailand's history.

You should really know something about the topic before you post pro Thaksin political nonsense.

Thank you for dispelling the repeated misdirection propaganda that Jatuporn was the first to initiate.

Thank you for dispelling the repeated misdirection propaganda that Jatuporn was the first to initiate.

Perhaps these graphs paint a different picture.

The problem starts well before September and could be interpreted as intentional.

Follow the link.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/68854/bhumipol-dam-water-entering-the-dam-discharge-of-water-and-capaicty/

post-6044-0-85316100-1320457856_thumb.jp

post-6044-0-57582200-1320457870_thumb.jp

Asked whether people in Don Muang were dissatisfied with the government's assistance measures, Yingluck said the district was under the jurisdiction of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, though the central authorities were doing their best to support them.

I thought the Disaster Act put her in charge of everything?

I think the Government does have the necessary powers, but the BMA remains in charge of the city and has a key role.

Incidentally Abhisit in the last few days gave an interview to a foreign journalist (sorry can't find the link) in which he talked a great deal of sense.Not for the first time I wished he was in charge at this time, not least for his excellent communication skills (I don't just mean his facility in English).The problem is that he is such a charmless figure, lacking in magnanimity and generous spiritedness.His whole tone was political and tetchy.If one didn't know, there would be no clue that Bangkok is run by his own Democrat party.

That BKK is run by the Dems and not been cooperative in the slightest is well noticed around the country. The divides arent getting any better. Im sure the red shirts and their networks are lapping up every action by BKK governor to defend the areas of BKK that vote Dem as it will be pointed out by them I am sure.

The critical thing about the flood is that the aftermath and central government will then have a lot more control over things and can move away from the bangkokcentric agenda we see now.

Several investigative journalists as well as a personal contact of mine that has intimate knowledge of the government have stated that a powerful, influential upcountry politician associated with the PT party told the RID not to release the flood waters because he didn't want his constituents to suffer from drought next year, thus that giving credibility to the belief that the current government is more capable and will give more prosperity to the upcountry farmers than the previous. The name of this politician is now being closely guarded by the current government.

Thought Thanong said it was someone from Banharn's party? Not sure Thanong is an 'investigative journalist' though.

Asked whether people in Don Muang were dissatisfied with the government's assistance measures, Yingluck said the district was under the jurisdiction of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, though the central authorities were doing their best to support them.

I thought the Disaster Act put her in charge of everything?

I think the Government does have the necessary powers, but the BMA remains in charge of the city and has a key role.

Incidentally Abhisit in the last few days gave an interview to a foreign journalist (sorry can't find the link) in which he talked a great deal of sense.Not for the first time I wished he was in charge at this time, not least for his excellent communication skills (I don't just mean his facility in English).The problem is that he is such a charmless figure, lacking in magnanimity and generous spiritedness.His whole tone was political and tetchy.If one didn't know, there would be no clue that Bangkok is run by his own Democrat party.

That BKK is run by the Dems and not been cooperative in the slightest is well noticed around the country. The divides arent getting any better. Im sure the red shirts and their networks are lapping up every action by BKK governor to defend the areas of BKK that vote Dem as it will be pointed out by them I am sure.

The critical thing about the flood is that the aftermath and central government will then have a lot more control over things and can move away from the bangkokcentric agenda we see now.

The central government has had control of things nation-wide since invoking Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act on October 21.

Her government's abysmal response has been very well noticed, even by Red Shirts who are becoming more and more disgruntled with their chosen government.

Edited by Buchholz

edit : never mind, point was already covered in later posts.

Edited by tlansford

Propaganda? What propaganda? My data is backed up by charts of the Thai Meteorological Department. If you're calling me a liar, you're calling them liars too. Why did none of the dams discharge serious amounts of water until the rain season began, even though the rain starting in March 2011 was much higher than the average? It worked well for so many years, why exactly now?

6303477121_f7ff573ccc_z.jpg

6303479899_136a086d8b_o.jpg

6303489721_13a778ef89_z.jpg

6303493845_51792c4827_z.jpg

6303496295_140b4b91be_z.jpg

6304029124_b2429b06d8_z.jpg