Why Do The Western Media Use The Term "Thai Bride"?

TingTawng

There are also :

American Brides - Mail order brides from United States

www.rosebrides.com/american-brides.html - United States - Cached - Block all www.rosebrides.com results

and

English Brides - BharatMatrimony

profile.bharatmatrimony.com/matrim

and so on....

Very true brides or women are looking for theur man riding on a horse to take away all their problems. In USA most will be decendaNTS FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY. sOME usa BRIDES CAN BE Asians or Russians living in the USA. Some can be from South America or the Ukrane. BR

Not always the case. I asked a very well traveled Thai ex if she thought about coming to Australia to live and she said no because people would assume she was a hooker she also said western men are easy to control in Thailand :unsure:

Control with what? Heart, brain, Sexual organs?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One post stereotyping western women in a derogatory manner has been removed:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Not be be a smart arse or anything.

But this rule seems to be ok/broken everyday towards Thai's but not to westerners on here. Just an observation. Maybe you should change the rule to not post degrading or slurs towards Westerners.

Thats my rant for the day :)

I'll join you in your confusion: a topic on Thailand News regarding caring Thai society was filled for several pages with out-and-out slagging of all things Thai, with each poster trying to outdo the previous ones over who could describe the most heinous Thai deeds.

Russian bride is a similar stereotype. It should refer to women from Thailand that use a dating agency to find western men with the sole purpose of marriage. However the 'sensationalist' media find it acceptable to use the term for any Thai woman that has married a westerner regardless of their social standing or whatever. It attempts to add another layer of scandal to the story in question without having to actually make up some lies by insinuating the relationship isn't 'normal'.

Its a shame as these stereotypes perpetuate the myth that the intentions of many Thai women are not honorable and only marry to escape poverty when this isnt the case for many women.

Its a shame as these stereotypes perpetuate the myth that the intentions of many Thai women are not honorable and only marry to escape poverty when this isnt the case for many women.

Are you sure (and I'm assuming you meant to include the words 'foreign men' after the word 'marry')?

Anyways, what is the point of this thread - OP worried about sitting in some high class lounge in the home country and someone saying - where did you meet your wife - and you reply "Soi Cowboy". Or I ordered my Thai Bride from the new IDea Catalog....

Obviously it's shaming language directed at the "purchaser" of said product. I dunno why it matters where you met your wife - you'd be a fool to marry a woman who is devious whether she works in Soi Cowboy or in the home counties of England.

I think the western media like to have a pop at men who don't marry "our kind" I guess. If you think about it - it's like shaming someone for being gay because it's just not normal, and why would those gay men turn down such lovely women?

Edited by TingTawng

There are also :

American Brides - Mail order brides from United States

www.rosebrides.com/american-brides.html - United States - Cached - Block all www.rosebrides.com results

and

English Brides - BharatMatrimony

profile.bharatmatrimony.com/matrim

and so on....

Very true brides or women are looking for theur man riding on a horse to take away all their problems. In USA most will be decendaNTS FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY. sOME usa BRIDES CAN BE Asians or Russians living in the USA. Some can be from South America or the Ukrane. BR

Not always the case. I asked a very well traveled Thai ex if she thought about coming to Australia to live and she said no because people would assume she was a hooker she also said western men are easy to control in Thailand :unsure:

Control the organ and you control EVERYTHING :rolleyes:

I would imagine that she means most farangs don't speak Thai well, don't know the system, and are generally pretty helpless in Thailand, as compared to how they would be back in their homeland.

Anyways, what is the point of this thread - OP worried about sitting in some high class lounge in the home country and someone saying - where did you meet your wife - and you reply "Soi Cowboy". Or I ordered my Thai Bride from the new IDea Catalog....

Obviously it's shaming language directed at the "purchaser" of said product. I dunno why it matters where you met your wife, or why it would matter - you'd be a fool to marry a woman who is devious whether she works in Soi Cowboy or in the home counties of England.

I think the western media like to have a pop at men who don't marry "our kind" I guess. If you think about it - it's like shaming someone for being gay because it's just not normal, and why would those gay men turn down such lovely women?

Well if you are indeed worried about what the readers of the Daily Rag or The Shun think of you and your wife - you are spending too much time in the supermarket.

Let's face it, having a nice looking wife can be envious for those without. Some of these Editors (is that the correct word?) pay for anything resembling a scandal or shameful - even better if it's overseas cause nobody likes to look in the mirror.

Btw, you can get the same reaction right here in Bangkok at well-known snob club on silom from a certain crowd of downlookers. So if you are missing out on this and are in need of a quick fix, drop in for some free negative looks and mumbled verbal jabs at your convenience.:lol:

Edited by bkkjames

Russian bride is a similar stereotype. It should refer to women from Thailand that use a dating agency to find western men with the sole purpose of marriage. However the 'sensationalist' media find it acceptable to use the term for any Thai woman that has married a westerner regardless of their social standing or whatever. It attempts to add another layer of scandal to the story in question without having to actually make up some lies by insinuating the relationship isn't 'normal'.

The negative stereotypes are real and exist in both Thailand and abroad (probably more pronounced in some western locales). And I'm sure you realize that the negative connotations aren't just applied to the women, but to the men in the equation as well. That's just the way it is. Nothing left to do but just deal with it.

I would imagine that she means most farangs don't speak Thai well, don't know the system, and are generally pretty helpless in Thailand, as compared to how they would be back in their homeland.

You nailed it, Just like men some women prefer to be in control and it is kind of nice to just relax and have the girl take care of everything Thai. Throw sex into the mix and you have one happy chappy = is this love? LOL

One post stereotyping western women in a derogatory manner has been removed:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Not be be a smart arse or anything.

But this rule seems to be ok/broken everyday towards Thai's but not to westerners on here. Just an observation. Maybe you should change the rule to not post degrading or slurs towards Westerners.

Thats my rant for the day :)

The rules are applied equally across the board

we try to deal with any offending posts that we come across, but we dont always see all of them :)

members are encouraged to use the report button if you see something that is offensive.

regards :)

You nailed it, Just like men some women prefer to be in control and it is kind of nice to just relax and have the girl take care of everything Thai. Throw sex into the mix and you have one happy chappy = is this love? LOL

That mix can work for a long time and in most cases that will be considered a happy situation but doesnt mean it will be love.

Are you sure (and I'm assuming you meant to include the words 'foreign men' after the word 'marry')?

Yes, sorry. Thought that was a given.

It's really a slur on the husband - the implication being that she only married him to escape poverty in Thailand.

In many cases it's the truth.

--------------------

Yes, like the terms "fat drunken German", "arrogant snooty pompous Brit", and "fat dumb American".

But, in FACT, such descriptions are only statistically generalised assumptions made from an incomplete sampling process; and therefore have no validity to any one particular point in that sample.

(Or to put it more simply...you can't tell the taste of any particular apple just because some of the apples in the bushel basket are sour.)

But since you're intelligent...you don't need to told that, do you?

:D

There are catalogs with pictures and prices where you can "order" your wife from Thailand. I have seen that in Europe.

Excellent deduction. To expand on this, perhaps we should term any western woman who marries a man who has a decent income as a gold-digger because I can show you some examples of western women who just married for money. I like this way of thinking - so simple, so neat, and it makes me feel a little superior. There I was getting all tangled up in messy reality when there are easier ways to perceive the world. I'm sure we can catalogue and tag all the women (and men) of this world just in this thread alone. Bonus points for any term/phrase that denigrate both men and women at the same time.

Edited by TingTawng

There are catalogs with pictures and prices where you can "order" your wife from Thailand. I have seen that in Europe.

Bonus points for any term/phrase that denigrate both men and women.

Chavs. Spastics. Backpackers.

Edited by Kananga

The western media uses the term "Thai bride" because that is what she is: Thai, and married. It also uses Russian bride, Columbian bride, English bride, American bride, Australian bride, teenage bride, senior bride, blind bride, Olympic bride, baby-boomer bride, Ivy League bride, blushing bride--you get the picture. If you think using the phrase "Thai bride" connotates property, then that is assuming the term "bride" has that connotation.

The word "bride" comes from an old term meaning cook or to cook. And yes, it technically it means a newly-wed, but the term is used somewhat interchangeably with wife without regards to the length of the marriage.

The western media uses the term "Thai bride" because that is what she is: Thai, and married. It also uses Russian bride, Columbian bride, English bride, American bride, Australian bride, teenage bride, senior bride, blind bride, Olympic bride, baby-boomer bride, Ivy League bride, blushing bride--you get the picture. If you think using the phrase "Thai bride" connotates property, then that is assuming the term "bride" has that connotation.

The word "bride" comes from an old term meaning cook or to cook. And yes, it technically it means a newly-wed, but the term is used somewhat interchangeably with wife without regards to the length of the marriage.

For most of the nationalities you have mentioned the word 'wife' would be used not 'bride'. The term 'Thai Bride' is used to denote THIS.

Many races of people become stereo typed, which is difficult to shake off and often these mythical traits are media fuelled.

For example: that all Thai women are easy and potential prostitutes, the attitude being, that marrying an inferior Thai from a third world country is an act of desperation on the guy`s part because he suffers from inadequacies and unable to be attractive to women from his own country.

A search in Google will find that Russian women have also been given similar reputations, Russian brides, Russian scammers, all desperate to leave their poverty stricken lives and would be willing to marry any guy who could support her. Of course this is all BS, is racist and reverts back to the old Western philosophies of superior and inferior.

If these myths are circulated and spread about the public domain long enough, then people begin believing as if it were fact. I think they describe this phenomenon as autosuggestion from outside influences.

You will find that media descriptions of a situation or of people usually reflect the attitudes and beliefs of a society as a whole.

For most of the nationalities you have mentioned the word 'wife' would be used not 'bride'. The term 'Thai Bride' is used to denote THIS.

Sorry, but I have heard the term "bride" used with each and every example I gave above. I did not write "mail-order bride" above, but that is just one more term, and the pejorative in that is the "mail-order," not the "bride." I contend that the word "bride" has no derogatory connotation. Nor does "Thai bride," in my opinion.

Sorry, but I have heard the term "bride" used with each and every example I gave above. I did not write "mail-order bride" above, but that is just one more term, and the pejorative in that is the "mail-order," not the "bride." I contend that the word "bride" has no derogatory connotation. Nor does "Thai bride," in my opinion.

I disagree in this case.

For what period of time does a guy have to be married to a Thai lady before she can progress from being a bride to a wife?

Thats the great thing about opinions. Everyone can have one, they can be different and there is no point arguing over them.

Bonus points for any term/phrase that denigrate both men and women.

Chavs. Spastics. Backpackers.

6 points (2 points each).

If you go to KSR you can see people who fit all three labels.

I disagree in this case.

For what period of time does a guy have to be married to a Thai lady before she can progress from being a bride to a wife?

OK, you can disagree. My point is that I have seen and heard many, many cases where women who have been married for extensive periods of time being referred to as "brides." This is not limited to Thais nor anyone else who are euphemistically described as "mail-order brides."

"Englishman" is not derogatory. "<deleted> Englishman" is. "Yankee" is not derogatory. "Bloody Yankee" is. "Bride" is not derogatory. "Mail-order bride" is.

"Bride" means a woman who is about to be married or has just been married. You assume "Thai bride" to be an adjective/noun compound, but when some rag like the Daily Mail use "Thai bride", there's a little bit of sneaky "autosuggestion" afoot here. It's not adjective/noun, it's simply a compound noun. They would never say "Thai wife" or just "bride" to describe a woman who has been married for 8 years. The Daily Mail would not innocently mention the nationality of a UK resident (why is that important?), nor incorrectly use "bride" instead of "wife" (when they always use "wife" to describe a woman married to a man in all their other stories). You'd use the word "bride" if the story was about a wedding, not if they've been married for years.

If these myths are circulated and spread about the public domain long enough, then people begin believing as if it were fact. I think they describe this phenomenon as autosuggestion from outside influences.

Exactly.