Paying Long Overstay

I'm just curious. Why do people make it such that it is so easy to get off the hook?

Nothing against the OP but what i mean is, overstaying might mean much more implications rather than being able to just pay and walk away. Is that really the case? In my opinion, it might be better to get in contact with your embassy so that they can support you in case you are dragged in for some kind of problems you did not anticipate at all!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why put yourself in this situation?

Every 90 days do a visa run?

Is the overstay worth all his hassle and worrying? Jail in Thailand.....I don' think they have Tom Yum in there.

Read the book Bangkok Hilton. You probably won't do this again.

Good Luck!

Just go to Bangkok and pay the fine when you are leaving. This is such a common occurance in Bangkok, you may even need to que to pay your money.

In 40+ years I have never seen a case where someone goes to immigration and gets detained, if they are owning up to their legal obligation and pay the fine immediately on the spot and act in a polite responsible manner.

I personally know of two people who over stayed 10+ years and were treated in same manner as a person with a 3 day over stay. There is absolutely nothing in it for immigrations to detain a person who walks into their office any wants to correct the problem, if they are immediately getting on a plane and leaving the country.

Before anyboday takes cheap shots, I have been on the same NON-O Visa for the past 15 years, but in the old days, nobody really bothered extending their visas. Most of us just overstayed and paid the fines, since it was only a 100 Baht/day at that time and capped at 18K.

Anyways, Good Luck...

Last year i was overstayed for 5 months, i take a visarun too Cambodia, on the quistion why i was overstayed so long time, i answer that i had marriage problems, i payed 20.000 and get a new visa when entering Thailand 30 minutes later.

goodluck.

• Like 1

I've seen no mention of "red stamping" the passport . . . well, the visa/entry stamp at any rate. Several years ago a friend of mine had a big overstay, ended up with this marked up (by hand in red pen on his exit stamp) in his passport and the next time he tried to get to Thailand he was refused entry. Maybe this doesn't happen anymore . . .?

R

No departure point will address your visa violation in the same way. This one you can take to the bank. My advise is for you talk to an attorney at Sunbelt Asia for legal advice, not guesswork. Good luck.

Tel (+66) 02-642-0213

• Like 1

Surely there's got to more to it than paying 20k and walking ??

I wouldn't bank on being on the flight you're listed on ??

Utterly nonsense. You pay your fine and you are out. Even when you are 10 years overstayed. It seems that certain people one to scare those unfortunate enough to have a problem. It will take him less than ten minutes.

No departure point will address your visa violation in the same way. This one you can take to the bank. My advise is for you talk to an attorney at Sunbelt Asia for legal advice, not guesswork. Good luck.

Tel (+66) 02-642-0213

Sunbelt is a sponsor... they love to take your business, but the law is quite clear. pay and you are out! Problems only occur when you do not have the money. In such case proceedings may differ, mostly you get locked up for a night and than after a funny improvised court hearing kicked out of the country. Overstay is never a big deal when you are on an airport it can be when you get stopped on the road to the airport though.

I have been living in Thailand for aroud 4 yrs, first on tourist then on retirement and now on marriage visa, I have not infringed any of the rules

I have always been treated fairly and respectfully by the authorities here

I must have been stopped at check points, by police collecting tips, and various sundry other places over 20 times. I have never been asked for my passport; driving licience yes and UK one always accepted no problem, I have never tipped more than 150batt

The point of this even if stopped you will probably not be asked for your passport and thus not go to jail

There is too much judgement on this forum and scaremongering

If in your shoes I would telephone Samui immigration test the water tell the truth say you need a seven day extension, and to pay overstay, when they say delighted to assist just bring the money then get the persons name

In the event of negative response hot foot to either phuket or BKK

do not waste money on lawyers unless in dire straights

Good luck

Surely there's got to more to it than paying 20k and walking ??

I wouldn't bank on being on the flight you're listed on ??

Utterly nonsense. You pay your fine and you are out. Even when you are 10 years overstayed. It seems that certain people one to scare those unfortunate enough to have a problem. It will take him less than ten minutes.

So you didn't bother to read my follow up post perhaps ??

I hear flights to England are cheaper from Cambodia so why not exit by foot to Cambodia, pay the fine and leave from there that way if theres a problem you won't have wasted money on flight you can't use. Just a thought I have no actual experience with this.

Would have surprised me, if your Information would have been true.whistling.gif

www.skyscanner.net 14.11. - 1.12. return

Phnom Penh-London 38.000.-

Bangkok-London 29.000.-

Kuala Lumpur-London 29.000.-

Singapore-London 29.000.-

Saigon-London 33.000.-

I never said it was A fact I said "I have heard", the point was not really the price of the flight but more the fact it would be better to exit first without having to pay for a flight to see if there was any detention, if so the price of the flight would be wasted.

If the sole point was to get the cheapest flight then go to malaysia and get on A airasia flight to Stansted. (go see if that 1 shows up on www.skyscanner.net!!!

I hear flights to England are cheaper from Cambodia so why not exit by foot to Cambodia, pay the fine and leave from there that way if theres a problem you won't have wasted money on flight you can't use. Just a thought I have no actual experience with this.

Would have surprised me, if your Information would have been true.whistling.gif

www.skyscanner.net 14.11. - 1.12. return

Phnom Penh-London 38.000.-

Bangkok-London 29.000.-

Kuala Lumpur-London 29.000.-

Singapore-London 29.000.-

Saigon-London 33.000.-

I never said it was A fact I said "I have heard", the point was not really the price of the flight but more the fact it would be better to exit first without having to pay for a flight to see if there was any detention, if so the price of the flight would be wasted.

If the sole point was to get the cheapest flight then go to malaysia and get on A airasia flight to Stansted. (go see if that 1 shows up on www.skyscanner.net!!!

Please-

Bring the prove, -that flights are cheaper from Cambodia to England, that was in Question, not if Air Asia flights from Kuala Lumpur to Stansted are on the SKYSCANNER RADAR or not.blink.gif

Actualy, since LAST OCTOBERWEEK, AIR ASIA changed the flights to GATWICK! (One way about 14-15.000.- Baht)

Here a cheap similar version of cheaper one way flights

KUL - London Heathrow

Kuwait Airways

03:15 KUL 13:20 LHR

18h 05

1 stop KWIKuwait Air

฿14,367

Edited by ALFREDO

I'll tell you the easiest way to do it as "friend" was on a 2year overstay recently. Said "friend" done a visa run with a company that has a boss named Jack who likes to play Golf. It cost said "friend" 2100 for the 15day visa run, 20k for the fine, and 1k for a cup of tea with the officer in Cambodia. Said friend then went on his merry way through Bkk Airport without issues, and back in a few weeks later.

• 1 month later...

Just go to Bangkok and pay the fine when you are leaving. This is such a common occurance in Bangkok, you may even need to que to pay your money.

Can you please confirm that the 'maximum' fine is still 20,000 baht regardless of the overstay period if paid at the airport on departure?

I've seen no mention of "red stamping" the passport . . . well, the visa/entry stamp at any rate. Several years ago a friend of mine had a big overstay, ended up with this marked up (by hand in red pen on his exit stamp) in his passport and the next time he tried to get to Thailand he was refused entry. Maybe this doesn't happen anymore . . .?

R

Urban legend cool.png

Why put yourself in this situation?

Every 90 days do a visa run?

Is the overstay worth all his hassle and worrying? Jail in Thailand.....I don' think they have Tom Yum in there.

Read the book Bangkok Hilton. You probably won't do this again.

Good Luck!

Bangkok Hilton? ROFL. Are you suggesting that people arrested for overstaying their visa are now put in a maximum security prison such as Bang Kwang, along with all the lifers and those waiting to be executed?

Priceless!

I had a 1 year overstay and paid the fine at a cambodia crossing and walked back into thailand 10 mins later... PM me if you want to use this crossing as i have the telephone number for a captain in the police who takes your overstay and he just laughed and said if you have anymore friends with overstay then tell them to call me and come see me..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am new to this forum, and ashamed to say that I have an overstay issue to resolve. I have read many of the comments on here, and I would just like to say that in this country there can sometimes be extenuating circumstances, such as in my case. I don't want to go into a lot of details but I would like to get this resolved as soon as possible. I have a wife and a household here, so I need to find a way to take care of this and be allowed back in to Thailand. I certainly have the money to be able to fly back to the states, but I would prefer to just go to a neighboring country if at all possible. I dont have the original passport, as it was lost. I now have a new passport but I do want to confirm that I am not a criminal nor am I trying to hide anything. I just want to resolve this in an amicable manner. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to pay more than the 20,000 baht fine if I HAVE TO, in order to be allowed back in the country without having to wait 6 months.

Edited by jonsfernthai

Normally it is just going to the airport with a ticket and 20,000 baht, pay the fine and return. A ticket to a neigbouring country will be fine and you can return the same day. (You can use a land border, but it is always best to take an airport, as they like to make sure you will catch the airplane).

In your case there is a complication in that you don't have your original passport. You should try to find your entry details and such, you will probably have the number of your old passport. That will speed things up as they will be able to find your records more speedily.

Given the lost passport, you might want to go to the Bangkok immigration office first at Chaeng Wattana road, as it will mean an extra delay. (They might send you to the airport anyway).

(Do go with money for the overstay, a copy of the new passport, copy or details of the old passport and arrival card, ticket out of of Thailand for the same evening or next day and maybe an extra 1,900 baht for a 7 day "extension").

They will also want a copy of the police report of your missing passport.