Drop In Prices For All Commodities Starting Monday

You do all that swapping and switching, buying and selling, and at the end your silver and gold still aren't worth today what they were worth 30-odd years ago. And in all that time you have had no interest and no dividends from them. In fact you may well have been paying for the privilege of owning them, and running the risk of someone stealing them from you whilst you sleep.

Sounds like a real kick-ass investment to me.

That is interesting silver and gold swapping. Looks easy, so why are more people not doing it? To me it look like this, if things go to plan its great and you make money and if the dont, if something changes unexpectadly you could lose money. Just did not see that coming. I suppose it all comes down to how much risk you want to take on. Now I am a time in life where replacing assets lost is not easy so I tend to be more conservative. I dont buy shares any more, been there done that. Has some spectacular crashes but today I can say that as of last friday my small portfolio shows a profit of 115% and I have dividends this year of £675 and I dont hold any blue chip compamies but trading stocks and shares is still a gamble. I would advise anyone if they are thinking of trying this scheme to watch and wait. Use fictious amounts and see how it plays with what you think you understand for a while and dont use any real money you cannot afford to lose.

If anything looks to good to be true it usually is.

Tuesday we will see what we will see and the world will not end.

Its true been to BIG C shelf ticket for benecol said 4 or 98bts but when i got to check outs i was only charged 92.25 bts!

Have failed to see any further evidence of colapsing commodities.

The little thread going on about gold and silver, well you know what they say about a fool and his money. An explantion of how it works is all very well but if I explained the rules of snooker it would not show/tell you how to play the game.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Beware of scams, boiler rooms etc keep your money safe for a rainy day.

Commodities are up so far today.

Flying; thanks for your explanations on the silver/gold ratio swap technique. Presume your 2 current markers are then 35 silver/gold ratio for going to gold, and 60 silver/gold ratio for going to silver?

Where do you easily buy/sell silver here? Is it coin form only?(having a larger mark up normally).

Cheers!

Flying; thanks for your explanations on the silver/gold ratio swap technique. Presume your 2 current markers are then 35 silver/gold ratio for going to gold, and 60 silver/gold ratio for going to silver?

Where do you easily buy/sell silver here? Is it coin form only?(having a larger mark up normally).

Cheers!

Your welcome Firefan

yes commodities doing well today but it is still Sunday night here in the US.

Markets open in 6 hours

That also explains that I do not live full time in Thailand.

We stay here in the US most of the year. I am not sure about where you would do best there

for working with larger quantities of physical. But I have read that there are many good spots

depending on where you are there. Gold of course is not a problem in most of the larger cities

of Thailand.

Silver I am not so sure as I know due to VAT it is not as popular there.But still have heard of folks

doing ok in Bangkok & Chiang Mai

Yes my markers are 35 & 60 for now. But as I said I did miss the recent 60 mark when silver hit $26/oz

due to it being night here & I was unable to react. Yet I still think we will see 60 again & hopefully

I am in a position to move.

Also yes I stick with coins but I know others who stick with bars.

Just a personal choice

The last time I went from silver to gold I did as you say move at 35/1 but that time too I missed a better opportunity

when it briefly went lower. Sometimes it is better to stick to your premise...That time I got a little hopeful/greedy

but did learn a lesson ;)

Chok Dee

Edited by flying

Cheers!

Your welcome Firefan

yes commodities doing well today but it is still Sunday night here in the US.

Markets open in 6 hours

That also explains that I do not live full time in Thailand.

We stay here in the US most of the year. I am not sure about where you would do best there

for working with larger quantities of physical. But I have read that there are many good spots

depending on where you are there. Gold of course is not a problem in most of the larger cities

of Thailand.

Silver I am not so sure as I know due to VAT it is not as popular there.But still have heard of folks

doing ok in Bangkok & Chiang Mai

Yes my markers are 35 & 60 for now. But as I said I did miss the recent 60 mark when silver hit $26/oz

due to it being night here & I was unable to react. Yet I still think we will see 60 again & hopefully

I am in a position to move.

Also yes I stick with coins but I know others who stick with bars.

Just a personal choice

The last time I went from silver to gold I did as you say move at 35/1 but that time too I missed a better opportunity

when it briefly went lower. Sometimes it is better to stick to your premise...That time I got a little hopeful/greedy

but did learn a lesson ;)

Chok Dee

I live in Chiang Mai and I dearly wanted to enter the silver market about three or four months ago but I couldn't

find anywhere that sold small ingots or bars . I could have done very well if I had bought silver then

but instead I was talked into buying gold.

so I purchased a series of 5 baht bars when the price was 26500 per baht but now the price is

stuck in a range between 24000 and 25500. dam_n !

Nice day today, just like yesterday. The world has not colapsed due to commodities falling, just as I said.

Perhaps it was all about getting people guess the price of gold and silver and when to exchange. Watch and wait if you want to to do that make sure you understand exactly what is happening, they wait a bit more. For me? Certainly not I dont want to spend the rst of my life watching the prices of gold and silver so I make or a bit or avoid losing a bit, but each to our own eh?

I kind of wonder if most folks even read this thread?

Because early in it was posted the facts that the first vague report by CME

was followed up with a clarification.

That clarification showed margins were lowered not raised.

Not only did they not understand the thread and follow the developments, but they also seem to have missed the point that if prices for gold and silver do in fact raise those with physical on hand have the biggest smiles of all. We are the ones that gleefully wait for prices to actually GO UP, we are not praying for prices to go down!!!

Also want to clear a few things up:

It was sloppy of me to say a while back that I was waiting for 30:1 to do the next flip, as the truth is any dramatic jump/drop in the GSR calls for action. Since the move can be very rapid and very dramatic - as happened 2 months ago when it went from below 44 to over 54 overnight. Study the historical charts, do some reseach and make an informed decision.

Next, readers should be aware that I only deal in 99.99% pure gold and silver. The junk you buy in your local Chinatown or the sterling you might pick up from some jewelery shop is not what I am talking about. Also, the silver coin market is so small and immature in Thailand that this is not they way to go in these parts unless you plan to smelt them down.

So, obviously the best place to do the flip is somewhere that deals in both pure gold and pure silver so the deal can be done in a single location.

Also, Thai readers should factor in the dollar/baht exchange rate as this is another important component. Sometimes a move in gold or silver price looks great, but if it's coupled with a change in exchange rate it could mean you are not gaining anything.

Note too that you should always double check the gold and silver price as quoted in grams, not ounces. No one uses ounces in Thailand.

Finally, the entry point, the percentages of each metal you keep and whether you sometimes hang onto the cash, are all dependent on your personal choices, your reading of the situation, your faith in fiat and the condition of local supplies.

Good luck to the new comers who have been inspired to try this.

I thought the topic was "Drop in Prices for all Commodities starting Monday" Well it did not happen, what a surprise. A further thread about buying and swapping gold and silver was interesting, but it depends on your risk aversion. It is painted as an almost surefire way of making money, well good for your if you do. For me at my age I dont think its for me, a couple of pages of expalantion and get your cash out to me seems a bit reckless I do not have the time to recover from something going wrong. If its such a winner why are not more investors switched on to this? Usually it means that there are risks and there may be variables that you have not yet come across that need to be factored in. If it works for you that fine, you get rich I will be happy for you,I am not being sarcastic either, I tend to be of a more conservative school at my age and say "you dont get owt for nowt."

Edited by nong38

I thought the topic was "Drop in Prices for all Commodities starting Monday" Well it did not happen, what a surprise

It is painted as an almost surefire way of making money,

Sorry & do not want to go off topic any further but.....

Yes that was the topic & yes it did not happen because as they said it was a misunderstood statement..

As for the other subject that got some side attention...

You will find in all the years here I have never painted nor recommended anyone to buy anything &

actually I do not to invest/participate in any *paper* markets.

I have always said have *your* own premise.

Nothing is surefire in this world. But up till this point in time things go up AND down

markets....ratios.... When folks swap the GSR they are not buying nor selling they are not

even all that interested in price as most do not see it as an investment but a hedge.

So again most are not thinking of it as a "surefire way of making money" as you say.

Most folks I know who have some of their liquid assets in metals do so because they have already

taken care of everything else. I have properties, I have no debt,I have excess cash,I want an alternative...

Happy with both Silver & Gold why should I not also take advantage of the simple fact that prices go up & down?

Since if does the ratio of silver to gold also goes up & down for as far back as you want to look.

Again...I never recommend anyone to buy anything....DYODD

I am not in metals to make money....that it has made a lot of it over the last 3 years is a side benefit. ;)

I am in metals to not be in paper 100%....As I have no debts I prefer being closer to 60/40

Edited by flying

Not only did they not understand the thread and follow the developments, but they also seem to have missed the point that if prices for gold and silver do in fact raise those with physical on hand have the biggest smiles of all. We are the ones that gleefully wait for prices to actually GO UP, we are not praying for prices to go down!!!

It was sloppy of me to say a while back that I was waiting for 30:1 to do the next flip, as the truth is any dramatic jump/drop in the GSR calls for action. Since the move can be very rapid and very dramatic - as happened 2 months ago when it went from below 44 to over 54 overnight. Study the historical charts, do some reseach and make an informed decision.

Next, readers should be aware that I only deal in 99.99% pure gold and silver. The junk you buy in your local Chinatown or the sterling you might pick up from some jewelery shop is not what I am talking about. Also, the silver coin market is so small and immature in Thailand that this is not they way to go in these parts unless you plan to smelt them down.

So, obviously the best place to do the flip is somewhere that deals in both pure gold and pure silver so the deal can be done in a single location.

Also, Thai readers should factor in the dollar/baht exchange rate as this is another important component. Sometimes a move in gold or silver price looks great, but if it's coupled with a change in exchange rate it could mean you are not gaining anything.

Note too that you should always double check the gold and silver price as quoted in grams, not ounces. No one uses ounces in Thailand.

Finally, the entry point, the percentages of each metal you keep and whether you sometimes hang onto the cash, are all dependent on your personal choices, your reading of the situation, your faith in fiat and the condition of local supplies.

K Banks KGOLD fund mirrors the price of gold AND pays 5% dividends per year- now thats how you make gold pay :)

I thought the topic was "Drop in Prices for all Commodities starting Monday" Well it did not happen, what a surprise

It is painted as an almost surefire way of making money,

Sorry & do not want to go off topic any further but.....

Yes that was the topic & yes it did not happen because as they said it was a misunderstood statement..

As for the other subject that got some side attention...

You will find in all the years here I have never painted nor recommended anyone to buy anything &

actually I do not to invest/participate in any *paper* markets.

I have always said have *your* own premise.

Nothing is surefire in this world. But up till this point in time things go up AND down

markets....ratios.... When folks swap the GSR they are not buying nor selling they are not

even all that interested in price as most do not see it as an investment but a hedge.

So again most are not thinking of it as a "surefire way of making money" as you say.

Most folks I know who have some of their liquid assets in metals do so because they have already

taken care of everything else. I have properties, I have no debt,I have excess cash,I want an alternative...

Happy with both Silver & Gold why should I not also take advantage of the simple fact that prices go up & down?

Since if does the ratio of silver to gold also goes up & down for as far back as you want to look.

Again...I never recommend anyone to buy anything....DYODD

I am not in metals to make money....that it has made a lot of it over the last 3 years is a side benefit. ;)

I am in metals to not be in paper 100%....As I have no debts I prefer being closer to 60/40

I agree with you- most investors buy gold as a hedge not to make money per se. I have about 15% of my portfolio in gold (physical and gold fund) the fact that its increased alot since i bought a few months ago means that it has in fact helped to off set some of my stock market losses.

K Banks KGOLD fund mirrors the price of gold AND pays 5% dividends per year- now thats how you make gold pay :)

That does not mean you can buy $1,000 worth of shares with gold at x price, come back a year later and if by some chance gold is back to exactly x price, sell the shares and walk away with $1050.

If so, I think they should change their name to B Bank.

B for Benevolent.

No need to check to see if the name is available. No bank ever gave away money.

That does not mean you can

B for Benevolent.

Er, well that is exactly what- it means- if i buy $1,000 worth of shares with gold at x price, come back a year later and if by some chance gold is back to exactly x price, sell the shares and walk away with $1050: correct.

That does not mean you can

B for Benevolent.

Er, well that is exactly what- it means- if i buy $1,000 worth of shares with gold at x price, come back a year later and if by some chance gold is back to exactly x price, sell the shares and walk away with $1050: correct.

No management or other fees and no risk? You might go over that prospectus with a fine tooth comb. What did they do with your $1,000 for that year?

Some of you know your gold and silver markets well and if you have done well, good luck to you I am happy for you. It is your area of expertise not mine, you cannot acquire experience overnight it takes time, for new entrants to this financial area just remember that, there is a lot more to this than first meets they eye,as we just been reminded about ounces and grams, dollars and bhts.

Expatj; As I read the fact sheet, it is simply payout of capital gain http://www.kasikornasset.com/EN/FundDocuments/Fund%20Fact/K-GOLD_Eng.pdf

I.e. you do not get the increase in gold price AND dividends. That dividend is simply some of your capital gains (if gold go up) - but now that they are paid out as dividends - you will get taxed on it....

On top of that; all they do is invest in a gold ETF abroad - and charge you an extra layer of fees for that. You are also paying an extra fee to hedge the gold price against the THB.

In addition; they seem to keep about 7% in cash/short bonds - so you will not even get the full upside (as "dividends" OR capital gains) when the ETF goes up.

In short; read your prospectus and fact sheet. I will charge you no fee for my services this time! ;)

Cheers!

Expatj; As I read the fact sheet, it is simply payout of capital gain http://www.kasikorna.../K-GOLD_Eng.pdf

I.e. you do not get the increase in gold price AND dividends. That dividend is simply some of your capital gains (if gold go up) - but now that they are paid out as dividends - you will get taxed on it....

On top of that; all they do is invest in a gold ETF abroad - and charge you an extra layer of fees for that. You are also paying an extra fee to hedge the gold price against the THB.

In addition; they seem to keep about 7% in cash/short bonds - so you will not even get the full upside (as "dividends" OR capital gains) when the ETF goes up.

In short; read your prospectus and fact sheet. I will charge you no fee for my services this time! ;)

Cheers!

Yes you do get the increase in gold price AND dividends...

K-Gold

The Fund has its policy to invest at least 80% of NAV abroad. The majority of the Fund's investment, on the average of at least 80% of NAV in each accounting period, shall be invested in SPDR Gold Trust ("foreign fund") which is established and managed by World Gold Trust Services, LLC, which is wholly-owned by the World Gold Council, a non-for-profit association registered under Swiss law. The foreign fund is listed for trading on the New York Stock Exchange and the Singapore Stock Exchange.

The Fund may invest in Thailand as to serve the operational purpose or pending for foreign investment or secure the liquidity of the Fund or any other purposes in such manner. Investment in Thailand shall be deposits, money market papers and other types of investment allowed by the SEC Laws. The Fund may invest in derivative as to hedge from the foreign exchange risk at least 90%.

http://www.kasikornasset.com/en/pages/K-GOLD.aspx?

Expatj; the underlying ETF (GLD) which currently is 93% of the fund do not pay any dividends - the remaining 7% of the fund is there in cash/cash like instruments like very short term bonds to have cash to pay people that want redemption's and to pay fund fees, hedging fees and trading fees.

I.e. there is nothing in your fund that EARNS a dividend! Your "dividends" are in reality just some gold being sold and handed to you and your unit price dropping accordingly.

Another proof; look at the link I send you. The graph compare the total fund return (include dividends of course) with the gold price. They are pretty similar but if you were right it should do 5% BETTER that the gold price.

All said; not a bad fund as such - extra layer of fees and hedging costs a bit high, also the "dividends" gets taxed, and not 100% in gold as previously covered - but safer place to park some cash(or bet on gold) rather than having pockets full of gold bars! ;) (unless we get into financial collapse zombie scenario - then bullets and canned food probably better).

Cheers!