Publishing Books In Thailand

First off, hello (I'm new to this forum).

I've just been reading the thread on "Printing A Full Colour Book In Thailand", which has given me some good info, but I'd be interested in hearing about any experiences / advice when using the publishers here in Thailand.

Teaching computing, I have tried many times to find suitable workbooks for the students, but failed. So, I set about making my own and have so far made 6 books aimed at pratom/mattayom level. I have been trying to find some information on getting them published (by published I mean printed and distributed for sale), but it has not been as straight forward as I thought it would be.

I have so far learnt that the word "publish" here usually means "printed" and does not involve the distribution and sale side.

Ideally, the books need to be colour printed, which I have also learnt will be expensive here. However, the local printing houses have given what I hope is good advice about copyright and registering the books (ISBN number).

If there is anyone on the forum that has experience/knowledge in this area then I'd be interested in their comments.

Beware, no one in the university buy your books. They allcopy, so to sell book your book needs to be the same or lower price than theits photo copy cost

Yes, an interesting question. I have noticed that printed books cost is relatively high here.

Next thing I have noticed that at Uni level 99/100 students in any subject use photocopies of lecture notes instead of books. This speaks for quality of learning/teaching. Questions, doubt, discovery and criticism are not encoureged in thai style learning/teaching: to prevent 'loss of face'. Bad system from prep and up.

Everything is based on Wai/Instruction/Wai. No wonder we are in year 2555. Happy New Year! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Printing locally, people here want about 1,000 baht per book unless I order a few thousand copies, but then Lulu website calculates my book at over £20 each (100-120 pages per book).

I self printed a copy of each book on 120g paper and it cost me about 120 baht per book but took best part of a day to print and comb bind all 6 books..

I'm still looking at other options, but I'm now of the opinion that there is not going to be any profit in these books if I opt for printing and selling (unless I self print).

My thoughts now are along the lines of just trying to sell it electronically and accepting that every man and his soi dog here in Thailand will copy it.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the advice everyone.