Water Damage Macbook Pro 2.26

anon8

half a glass of water is all it took :D

I'm wondering, where to find new logic board (other than Mac dealers where the new board costs as much as new laptop)

there are refurbished logic boards on Ebay, but sellers are all from HK.

But I'm wondering, do Unlimitmac.com or Mac2hand.com here in Bangkok do logic board repairs or sell refurbished boards.

Does anybody have any experience with those guys, please?

Let me know if you find one... I did a brief search last time I needed one but it's tricky - you need the exact model for your laptop as the logic board changes slightly with each minor upgrade. I couldn't find any a few years back + ended up having a new one installed by Apple. Would have cost 30k baht... but because the damage was actually caused by an authorized Apple dealer, they gave me a new one for free.

If you're under warranty you could try to return it without mentioning the water incident...

Edited by nikster

yes, Nikster, need to replace it with exactly same part number.

and I got a very fast email reply from Unlimitmac.com guys:

'Yes we have itprice for 2.26 around 12.000-13.000 it new logic boardand u can upgrade to 2.4 price 15.500'

he also added that they are closed right now because of the flood.

this is about the same price the HongKong Ebay sellers are asking, except at Unlimitmac shop they will replace it in their shop, you are guaranteed to walk out with laptop that works.. from Ebay you just get a board, and if there is an issue with it, you out of luck, I suppose.

Besides, HK sellers at Ebay.com are actually based in mainland China, but they list themselves as in HK.. one of the HK sellers asked me to ship the laptop to him for board repair, and then gave an address of some province in mainland China. I can also imagine the surprise fee/duty from Thai Customs when Macbook gets shipped back from China, or from HK for that matter. It looks shiny and not cheap, surely Customs people will want their cut :D

Edited by valgehiir