Long Term, Short Term

Hello all,

Not trying to push my my own vacant condo here (but PM and emails will be gladly answered), I was wondering what happens with all the people who have lost their houses to the floods, where do they sleep now?

Is there a place in Bangkok which offers short term stays at decent prices or do they over charge for a monthly basis?

How to handle this situation?

Still take 2 month's worth deposit?

Give them an option to prolong their contract?

Ideas will be appreciated.

"Is there a place in Bangkok which offers short term stays at decent prices or do they over charge for a monthly basis?'

Bkk is full of such places, known as, hong pak, short term stays from 350 baht per night or 3,900 per month.

Areas such as Ramkhamheng are litterally littered with them.

I know people who have headed to Bang Saen, 4,000 baht per month.

Landlords/Owners in Pattaya are only interested in long term, nothing under 6 or at least 3 months....they are fools and havnt a clue about tenancies.....why wait 4-5 months for that 6 month contract at a reduced rate when you could have filled your house/condo at a premium rate for almost all that period....cleaning only costs 200 Baht..... I could fill at least 20 condos this month, next month and January for terms of upto 3 months but trying to find owners is past me and I gave up a long time ago...fools all of them

Landlords/Owners in Pattaya are only interested in long term, nothing under 6 or at least 3 months....they are fools and havnt a clue about tenancies.....

Having seen the mess that some tenants have left behind them I can well understand the reticence of many owners here to take short-term contracts, or any contract at all for that matter. For large families of Thai flood refugees, squeezed into a 30sqm studio, the reticence may be even greater.

Of course, just because someone is staying a long time doesn't mean that he isn't going to trash the place also, and I've seen a few examples of that recently too.

I negotiated a 50% discount on the high season price for a 12-month rental, but knowing what a perfect tenant I am I think the owner made a very wise move to choose me at half price rather than take some short-timers here and there.

Landlords/Owners in Pattaya are only interested in long term, nothing under 6 or at least 3 months....they are fools and havnt a clue about tenancies.....

Having seen the mess that some tenants have left behind them I can well understand the reticence of many owners here to take short-term contracts, or any contract at all for that matter. For large families of Thai flood refugees, squeezed into a 30sqm studio, the reticence may be even greater.

Of course, just because someone is staying a long time doesn't mean that he isn't going to trash the place also, and I've seen a few examples of that recently too.

I negotiated a 50% discount on the high season price for a 12-month rental, but knowing what a perfect tenant I am I think the owner made a very wise move to choose me at half price rather than take some short-timers here and there.

Thats what deposits are for...damage deducted, its not flood refugees but mainly returning holidaymakers......their loss.....no problem Edited by PattayaPhom

Thats what deposits are for...damage deducted,

Deposits are very nice in theory, but even if you take 3 months deposit (and not many tenants will pay that: I'm paying one month) this still wont cover the cost of a new kitchen or new furniture if someone trashes them.

I saw a unit for sale the other day where all the furniture, including the base of the fitted kitchen, had been destroyed by a tap left on. I doubt that one month's deposit will go far towards replacing that lot, and presumably the owner thinks the same as he has just dropped the sale price by 30% (which only makes it reasonable, not cheap).