More Tourists About !

Over the last week we (The Premier Sports Bar) have noticed a large increase of Tourists, having conversations with them it appears that

lot's have decided to skip BKK and carry on to their end destinations.

Most tour operators in europe seem to book majority of packages with a 3 night stay in BKK, either on the way in or out.

with the coverage on the european news, showing BKK as a state of emergency

it looks like we (the Islands) are getting a little benefit, which is better than them all cancelling their holiday!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that is an anomaly.

People are canceling their holidays as we speak. This could be the worst high season in years.

And since for most tourists Bangkok is the gateway to Thailand, this is actually a time one should avoid traveling here. Better luck next year.

Thats odd as i have not had a single cancelation. To be fair i have one customer delay their trip and are now coming end of january, but no cancelations.

People are canceling their holidays as we speak. This could be the worst high season in years.

And since for most tourists Bangkok is the gateway to Thailand, this is actually a time one should avoid traveling here. Better luck next year.

Thats odd as i have not had a single cancelation. To be fair i have one customer delay their trip and are now coming end of january, but no cancelations.

OK, I guess that settles it. Everything normal.

i was having lunch at fuji today and every table was occupied. had never seen that before in the 5 years i've been having lunch or dinner there. even after finishing my lunch and shopping at tesco, i walked past fuji again to get to my car outside home pro and the entire restaurant was still fully occupied.

what this has to do with anything, i don't know. just thought it odd that so many people were here in november i guess.

1/ Bangkok residents.

2/ Residents from other parts of Thailand.

3/ Tourists diverting to here.

4/ Full moon party soon, people getting here earlier.

For sure.

I have some people arriving early on Samui. They had planned to stop in BKK for a couple of days first but.................

What??

Now, whilst i'm sure you're perfectly correct in stating that people will be cancelling holidays as you speak but that is such a sweeping generalisation as i'm sure someone, somewhere in the world will be cancelling a holiday as you speak!! It just doesn't mean that every single person booked to come to Samui is cancelling or have i totally missed something??

All the places i know are experiencing very good/high occupancy levels right now and with bookings coming in they say it's looking like they're going to have a good season or few months or however long as the bookings are not only for now but well into the new year!

As to the point of avoiding Bangkok??..<deleted>?...absolute utter nonsense as the airport is open, and it has not been closed at all at any stage so stop scaremongering and talking absolute nonsense...why should anyone avoid Bangkok if they are travelling onwards to the likes of Samui?...people like you need a wake up call as there is, and has been no problem for anyone coming to Bangkok then travelling down here....ok, rant over....some ppl just annoy...ha ha.

As to the point of avoiding Bangkok??..<deleted>?...absolute utter nonsense as the airport is open, and it has not been closed at all at any stage so stop scaremongering and talking absolute nonsense...why should anyone avoid Bangkok if they are travelling onwards to the likes of Samui?...people like you need a wake up call as there is, and has been no problem for anyone coming to Bangkok then travelling down here....ok, rant over....some ppl just annoy...ha ha.

I think a lot of people travelling from thousands of miles away see on the news all the flooding and whatnot in BKK and decide it's better to avoid Thailand all together. Maybe they aren't thinking that they are just making a connection at the airport and moving on to where it is safe. I have no idea what the percentages are but I'm sure some planned to stay in BKK some days before flying on to Samui. Maybe some decide to change the whole trip. For those who live(d) there and know, Samui seems to be immune to the troubles in other parts of the country so Muslims in the south, border skirmishes near Cambodia or protests in BKK and never let it deter them from going to Samui. The casual tourist wouldn't know and might change their plans.

Oh you know this for a fact, do you? - you speak with such authority.

The vast majority of the resorts which I deal with are already reporting full-occupancy for the Xmas/NY period. More than that, the odd one or two cancellations are being immediately replaced with new bookings. I'm told this is unusual, as at this time of year everybody has already booked their holiday and therefore in November nobody's on the lookout for holiday breaks.

The few that are not already booked solid report around 70% and these are all middle-range resorts.

It's what I suspected - the top end and the family beach bungalow resorts are thriving. It's the mid-end of the market that's feeling the pinch.

this year Samui looks like it's going to have the busiest high season since the tsunami .

R

Edited by robsamui

What??

Now, whilst i'm sure you're perfectly correct in stating that people will be cancelling holidays as you speak but that is such a sweeping generalisation as i'm sure someone, somewhere in the world will be cancelling a holiday as you speak!! It just doesn't mean that every single person booked to come to Samui is cancelling or have i totally missed something??

All the places i know are experiencing very good/high occupancy levels right now and with bookings coming in they say it's looking like they're going to have a good season or few months or however long as the bookings are not only for now but well into the new year!

Agreed! This guy has no idea what he's talking about. He's just telling the world how he feels that he maybe thinks things might be! :blink:

R

cannot even try to spell the name of bangkok airport so i shall just call it banger airport.

there is nothing wrong with the main airport or sukhumwvit. it is dry as a bone.

nothing wrong with connecting from bangers to samui.

i was there last week i did not see 1 flood. i know that there is parts of bangers under water but the middle at the moment is stil safe.

Just face the facts, Samui is moving forward and will continue to do so.

It's not a matter of if it's just a matter when it will be booming again!

rolleyes.gif

Haha...the glass isn't just half full, it's overflowing...

There may be a spillover effect from those already in the country or just arriving to avoid extra time in Bangkok. November is the rainiest month of the year for Samui, so anyone coming there now might be in for a good washing.

The fact is that this is not just some protesters in the city center, this is a citywide effect that is not expected to fully recover for a month (not to mention places like Ayuthaya). The water is becoming fetid and travel is difficult and uncomfortable if possible at all. Food stocks are limited in some places. Many areas are not accessible.

People cancel their trips here for far more mundane reasons. Add to this the confusion by some over which airport is closed and the nature and extent of the flooding and you have a picture that does not recommend Thailand very strongly.

Remember, I am talking about the common traveler -- not the "new backpackers," but rather the medium-level tourist who expects some standard of quality for themselves and perhaps their children.

You people may be right; maybe potential tourists will look at the situation -- with 1/3 of the provinces flooded, with the capital in ghastly, stinking floodwater and the uncertainty of whether travel is even feasible -- and say, "Hey! Let's all go to Samui!"

I think we will all have to wait until the middle of December before it becomes clearer how the one high season down in Samuiville will pan out.

rolleyes.gif

There may be a spillover effect from those already in the country or just arriving to avoid extra time in Bangkok. November is the rainiest month of the year for Samui, so anyone coming there now might be in for a good washing.

The fact is that this is not just some protesters in the city center, this is a citywide effect that is not expected to fully recover for a month (not to mention places like Ayuthaya). The water is becoming fetid and travel is difficult and uncomfortable if possible at all. Food stocks are limited in some places. Many areas are not accessible.

People cancel their trips here for far more mundane reasons. Add to this the confusion by some over which airport is closed and the nature and extent of the flooding and you have a picture that does not recommend Thailand very strongly.

Remember, I am talking about the common traveler -- not the "new backpackers," but rather the medium-level tourist who expects some standard of quality for themselves and perhaps their children.

You people may be right; maybe potential tourists will look at the situation -- with 1/3 of the provinces flooded, with the capital in ghastly, stinking floodwater and the uncertainty of whether travel is even feasible -- and say, "Hey! Let's all go to Samui!"

I think we will all have to wait until the middle of December before it becomes clearer how the one high season down in Samuiville will pan out.

Samui is open, it's not flooded here, we are not in Bangkok, the main airport is open in Bangkok, you can fly here 18 times daily, no need to leave the transit area have a free sandwich and coffee in the "boutique lounge" while dreaming of your cocktail and sun bed that awaits you on Chaweng Beach.

Do you seriously think people who are capable of booking a holiday on Samui will not research this with the information readily avaialbe at their fingertips. Canceling a holiday for a family of 4 is not just about rescheduling in a diary for most.

rolleyes.gif

Samui is open, it's not flooded here, we are not in Bangkok, the main airport is open in Bangkok, you can fly here 18 times daily, no need to leave the transit area have a free sandwich and coffee in the "boutique lounge" while dreaming of your cocktail and sun bed that awaits you on Chaweng Beach.

Do you seriously think people who are capable of booking a holiday on Samui will not research this with the information readily avaialbe at their fingertips. Canceling a holiday for a family of 4 is not just about rescheduling in a diary for most.

Rooms are full....Xmas is going to be very busy this year. Enjoy it while you can folks....the upsurge in visitors now must be a massive boost as well.....happy days for Samui! smile.gif

rolleyes.gif

Yes - it is really piddling it down here on Samui now.

I read the news too. I also have factual information on tourism here and the current hotel bookings, which you quite obviously do not.

Every 5+Star hotel is booked solid for Xmas/NY and with a waiting list. These are not catering for the "common travellers". It is, in actual fact, the "medium level" visitors who are now NOT coming to Samui, hence the big drop in 3-Star bookings. The budget-minded families who are in the know are crowding the local beach bungalow resorts and the 5-Star resorts are flourishing. And some of these have guests who fly here direct in their private aircraft. They couldn't care less about floods in BKK.

"We people" are telling you what the facts are.

You mean you will have to wait another month to see what is happening. There are some people here on Samui who have access to facts and do not need to annoy others with uninformed and groundless speculation. If you have no idea whatsoever of the facts and no idea at all what you are talking about then it is unwise to broadcast your ignorance.

Although it has to be said that everyone is entitled to their opinion - no matter how foolish or uninformed it is. You put me in mind of the irritating American school children who inhabit Google Answers. They just can't wait to see their name on the internet and will rush answer a question by saying . . . "Well I don't know the answer but I bet it's, like, something awesome!"

Please, if your ventured opinion has already been refuted several times by different people here, do everyone a favour, including yourself, and have the wisdom and grace to realise that you are less informed than others and thus call it a day.

R

ps I see that you are actually not present here on the island. Even more reason to be cautious about broadcasting your speculations.

Edited by robsamui

I have some friends visiting at the moment, they have booked a couple of day trips on and off the Island. They couldn't go on the days they want to as the trips were fully booked....mmmmm!

Who knows unsure.gif, I even saw some people in the Galaxy Bar the other night, so there must be super high end 7 Star tourist here!! laugh.gif

I have some friends visiting at the moment, they have booked a couple of day trips on and off the Island. They couldn't go on the days they want to as the trips were fully booked....mmmmm!

Who knows unsure.gif, I even saw some people in the Galaxy Bar the other night, so there must be super high end 7 Star tourist here!! laugh.gif

And exactly what were you doing looking in the Galaxy Bar may I ask Mr Maipenrai007?

And exactly what were you doing looking in the Galaxy Bar may I ask Mr Maipenrai007?

It's a little bit Sketchy......I went there to see a friend, best thing about the girls in there they don't have any Buffalo's in Issan!

But there were a lot of people in there!

It's a little bit Sketchy......I went there to see a friend, best thing about the girls in there they don't have any Buffalo's in Issan!

But there were a lot of people in there!

Buffalo in Issan v Brother with a kalashnikov....i'll take the buffalo any day! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.thaivisa....lood-aftermath/

I guess some tourists are cancelling afterall.

insertmembernamehere wrote:

People are canceling their holidays as we speak.

I believe a nice, big, fat, "I told you so," is in order....

One must be naive to think that cancellations to Thailand are not occurring. The OP simply said there are more tourists about this time of year, which also makes a lot of sense, as a lot of people have changed travel plans.

Let me also point out that the ferries, Seatran anyway is fairly packed for the last couple of weeks, so a lot of Thai nationals are also spending time here to get away from the floods. Phuket & Hua Hin are packed.

I want to start an A team if u think u r hard enough then PM me u crazy fool.

S for tourists. If u have a probl noone else can help then maybe u can hire the a team. BA barakus is on strike at the moment with quantus. He switched sides so there is a vacum for a strong man.

He is getting n a bit.

Lookig for a ruput murdoc and I'll b ace. Then we need load of guns. I am not talking about my arms. I am talking about my bisepts

Cherrs