Typical Wage For Young Thai Adult

corkman

I give my girlfriend nothing, although I do pay the rent, bills and for most other things. She works for her money, the same hours as I work for mine, in her own business.

For the OP, that generates an income of 10000-12000B/month, requiring her to work Monday to Friday, 40 hours a week. She is educated to M6 then some technology college qualifications, though none of them matter given that its her business.

And no, I didn't give her the business, set it up herself.

If someone wants to pay their wife 50,000B per month that's fine, but I don't need to pay my girlfriend that to love me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I give my wife 50,000 a month, out of which she has some obligations such as weekday food etc for the family, but the rest she can keep. As long as my dinner is on the table and I have a steady supply of toothpaste, deodorant and toilet paper she can do what she wants with the rest. I love her and she's worth it. I personally can't fathom why anyone who can afford to live in Thailand on retirement, or working etc cant afford to keep their spouse out of a backbreaking menial low paid job unless they had either seriously mismanaged their own finances or were just incredibly selfish.

50.000 bath a month? What kind of work are you into mate???

Client relationship work for regional clients. Not bad as I have no obligations to our Thai office and get loads of free regional travel. Dream job really, but thats for another topic.

The 50k I give my wife is because she uses that to pay for food for the family and to be able to have some luxuries in her life as she was very poor when she grew up. She also looks after our young children full time. Its only 1000 pounds anyway, people seem to forget that. I earned a fraction of what I do now when we met so anyone who thinks I am 'buying love' is just being bitter and jealous. My comment about people making their wives work was mainly directed towards those retired losers who make their wives go out to work all day when they spend their lives sat on their ass in front of the internet doing nothing because they either screwed up their finances and are purely just too selfish and lazy. Seen plenty of them in my time, and I'd wager there is at least one reading this post.

• 2 weeks later...

you can't pay a woman enough to be faithful, so why bother, they only see you as an ATM

S'porean on the run after killing wife's lover in Bangkok

The Singaporean allegedly fled the crime scene in a BMW 325i that he had bought for his wife. He had previously also bought her luxury gifts and is believed to have given her an allowance of 70,000 baht ($2,900) every month, The New Paper reported.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Crime/Story/A1Story20111127-313006.html

There has been talk of a future increase in minimum wage - likely from 1 April 2012. This is the reason why the suggestion that it should be 300 per day nationwide has been resisted by business leaders. In many cases it would represent a very large increase in total costs.

Historically, any raise in minimum wage means a decrease in available jobs.

Simple arithmetic - a business has enough flow thru income to hire 3 people at 200 Baht per day. A raise to 300 Baht means the business can only hire 2 people.

You wouldnt notice the staff level reduction in Homepro, often many more staff than customers!! All dont know what they are selling :lol: :lol: :lol:

There has been talk of a future increase in minimum wage - likely from 1 April 2012. This is the reason why the suggestion that it should be 300 per day nationwide has been resisted by business leaders. In many cases it would represent a very large increase in total costs.

Historically, any raise in minimum wage means a decrease in available jobs.

Simple arithmetic - a business has enough flow thru income to hire 3 people at 200 Baht per day. A raise to 300 Baht means the business can only hire 2 people.

You wouldnt notice the staff level reduction in Homepro, often many more staff than customers!! All dont know what they are selling :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I know what you mean, they're like zombies where if you stop walking for more than 10 seconds, 4 or 5 of them encircle you, forcing an inept "Tinglish" conversation (inept being on my part as much as them); there's usually the clumsy "upsell" where one worker goes to the most expensive item and says "very good, you buy this one".

Glad to see the post has degraded into a debate to justify the sex industry..... but my query was answered prior to this, and served its purpose..... so I don't mind :)

Whether its morally appropriate or not, the are three things about that you learned folk are not including in your deliberations and judgements:

1. It is something small number of sex workers that cater to westerners (in the order of 5% or soemthing like that) - those that can walk the walk are certainly better paid than those catering to up country Thai's .....

2. The sex industry is not a Thai phenomina. Nor is it the "reserve" of asian or poverty stricken countries. The USA has a much higher per capita number of sex workers. Sex workers in western countries often make much better money that women that work in western factories. $500 buck for a night with some bloke compared to $500 for a weeks work (making those numbers up, but its gotta be something like that).

3. The vast majority of Thai's work for these low wages (6k or whatever) for very hard work. It is a fact of life here. Its just the way it is. There is nothing wrong with it, nor is there anything wrong with ones wife continuing to do it. There are many high rollers back in the western world earning millions while their wife's keep up the day job at a call centre or whatever..... but if a family choice is made "look honey, I've got lots of money and you're too tired to fix my meals and washing and stuff, so either you quit your job and do it, or we'll get a maid and pay her the same salary your earning"..... and if you doing really well then maybe quit the job and get hte maid..... that's what wealthy THai's do.

The wifes son gets paid 100baht a day for helping a builder, because he is to young to go in the Army, and not old enough to work in factory's.he is 17 and on the scrap Heep already, i have paid for him to go to college to learn to be a mechanic, He is a luck one but there are many local good lads of his age who cannot do anything because thats the way the Thai system is, also if you are a female of 28ish yo are to old for most jobs, thats why so many people cannot work in Thailand.

I give my wife 50,000 a month, out of which she has some obligations such as weekday food etc for the family, but the rest she can keep. As long as my dinner is on the table and I have a steady supply of toothpaste, deodorant and toilet paper she can do what she wants with the rest. I love her and she's worth it. I personally can't fathom why anyone who can afford to live in Thailand on retirement, or working etc cant afford to keep their spouse out of a backbreaking menial low paid job unless they had either seriously mismanaged their own finances or were just incredibly selfish.

50.000 bath a month? What kind of work are you into mate???

I give my wife about the same.

looking at the flag, I guess you are from Norway.

So am I.

I give her about NOK 10-11K each month, that is about 50-55K Baht, depending upon the exchange rate.

This goes to whatever we need of household stuff, and consumption (food, beverages, toiletries, etc).

So, being Norwegians, with our average income, this sum should really not be such a big deal really, especially when one is married.

;-)

During rice planting and harvesting I pay local lads 250baht/day plus 70 baht for food if my wife doesn't provide it plus i'll buy a box of beer every couple of days,and they seem happy with that

Similar for us ... We pay 200-300 ThB cash per day for day labor on my wife's mango farm. Hard work in hot conditions but that is the going rate. The mango crop is borderline profitable as it is. If we paid any higher wages, our mangoes would have to be prices too high and we couldn't move them. We also do the same for water & food.

For those who think the equivalent of $10 USD per day is equivalent to slave wages, or the employer ripping off the worker, I would encourage you to watch the late great Dr. Milton Friedman's "Free to Choose" series, and the 03:30 minute point in this particular video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2024617864923164175&q=Milton+Friedman+Free+to+choose+duration%3Along&total=16&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1#