How Safe Is Your Kids[School Mini Buses]

meatboy

every day we have 2mini buses that pick up young children who's ages are no more than 4-6years,the first pick up the kid has to climb into the front seat while the driver puts on her face,and does not wear a seat belt,then this morning the second one had 3kids standing in the front with their arms on the dash board looking out through the windscreen,most times the second bus is running late so it is always going too fast if he had to brake you can guess the outcome.so anybody that has their kid picked up by these buses insist on safety [belt up]

Our kids school bus is a modified pickup with cover and extension at the back.

Sometimes there are over 20 kids in on there with the ones at the back ready to bounce out at the slightest bump. :blink:

The driver is a nice old guy who drives very carefully and his wife is in the back to catch any kids that look like they are going to bounce out.

TIT and there is not much choice.

B)

those people who drive the Buses get a lot of money.

I have seen some real dumps being driven with kids in the back, who are jumping and screaming, but what can you do, this is the way it has been for many years, and the way it will be for many more.

By the way my MIL is one who drives kids to school, her van is in sh*t state, she is a very slow and careful driver, and will only be doing it for one more year. She wanted to buy a new car and use that as she only picks up 4 kids.

I send a complain about no seatbelt even the 2 children and driver in the front seat to the school of my children , this was 2 years ago.

Send it again and again.

Went to see manager at school (foreigner) explained the problem.

Nothing done.

Stopped using there service and bring and get our children by ourselves

I send a complain about no seatbelt even the 2 children and driver in the front seat to the school of my children , this was 2 years ago.

Send it again and again.

Went to see manager at school (foreigner) explained the problem.

Nothing done.

Stopped using there service and bring and get our children by ourselves

Seems like the best solution. I wouldn't let my kids ride in them. I see them screaming around BKK, tailgating, no seat belts, kids standing on the seats. Nah! Costs extra and is less convenient but I will take my kids to school myself thanks very much.

I have seen some real dumps being driven with kids in the back, who are jumping and screaming, but what can you do, this is the way it has been for many years, and the way it will be for many more.

By the way my MIL is one who drives kids to school, her van is in sh*t state, she is a very slow and careful driver, and will only be doing it for one more year. She wanted to buy a new car and use that as she only picks up 4 kids.

So where the F are the black slaves in the USA if thats how it works?

The reason this country is as dumb as it is its that stupid mai pen rai attitude that even the worthless expats have.

you get off your fat ass and you complain to the school every single day untill they get so annoyed that they start caring for the safety of children.

Edited by thaiIand

The reason this country is as dumb as it is its that stupid mai pen rai attitude that even the worthless expats have.

you get off your fat ass and you complain to the school every single day untill they get so annoyed that they start caring for the safety of children.

very well put,

very well put,

Did you miss the school bus ?

Edited by onionluke

I've seen too many instances of poor, inconsiderate, and outright dangerous driving by minivan,.... and that's including school bus minivan drivers to ever rely on them to get my kids to and from school. It's a shame because riding the school bus probably would have allowed them some independence/self reliance development time. Oh well, so I'll have to kiss a few million goodbye when they torpedo their first business in 15-25 years time.... but at least they have a greater chance of still being around.

:)

The answer is; that the children’s school transports are not safe.

The attitude is; that nothing bad has happened yet, and if and when it does, we will think about it then.

Three options are open to parents. Either take their kids to and from school themselves or arrange personal transportation or let the children use the school transports in a hope that the worst won’t happen.

No point in complaining, as I’m sure most parents know the score.

It`s really left up to the parents discretion.

I saw a Commuter minivan school bus hit a parked car near one of our buidings the other day. Busted his own headlight and the parked Camry's tail light. Minor damage. Before anyone could go out to investigate and perhaps jot a tag number, he had sped off, but there were definitely school kids onboard. Hopefully he won't have any other incidents that no one will be able to drive or walk away from.

I saw a Commuter minivan school bus hit a parked car near one of our buidings the other day. Busted his own headlight and the parked Camry's tail light. Minor damage. Before anyone could go out to investigate and perhaps jot a tag number, he had sped off, but there were definitely school kids onboard. Hopefully he won't have any other incidents that no one will be able to drive or walk away from.

Probably late for school is why they had to rush off :whistling:

From someone who has been involved with traffic enforcement for my entire career, I can assure you Thailand is high on the list of the most Dangerous places for a child to be bused to school. Lax Vehicle code enforcement, lack of properly working seat belts (if even equipped), lack of driver training or testing and re-testing, lack of spot checks on driver sobriety and just a general lack of caring about the kids in the vehicle.

This, I have noticed seems to be the norm. However, I noticed a bus full of kids from a school called Regent's a few weeks ago that were loading and the driver helped each kid and checked personally that the seat belt was fastened. Don't know what's up with that ? Wouldn't it be great if all school buses were handles in that manner.

However, we all know that is an exception and they are almost as dangerous as your normal Thailand Travel buses that usually crash and burn once a week somewhere in the Kingdom. I have no small children here, however, if I did, I would constantly be hounding the transportation people until I knew my kids were safe or make other arrangements to get my kids to school.

When Thailand authorities are taught the primary reason of Traffic enforcement is NOT TO GENERATE MONEY, but TO EDUCATE DRIVERS, the entire country will be a safer place to live in for passengers, drivers, pedestrians and especially school children.

While I agree with most of these points it pisses me off slightly with the Superior attitude of some posters.

Not every one is in the position to chauffeur their kids to school each day. Believe me I do not put the kids on the Kamikaze school bus because I'm to lazy to get the Rangerover out of the garage.

Bear in mind this is not one of the "nanny states" There is no poor people payments or school children's allowance nor may other things we have come to expect from our 1st world government to take care of us. With the low income of most families, especially in rural areas, I think its to their credit that they send their kids to school at all.

Similarly all the holier than thou mutterings about how terrible it is to see whole families on motorbikes, mothers with babies in one arm riding around and all the rest of the irresponsible things we see each day on the roads. I'm sure the father with his family on the bike isn't riding about in all weathers while he's got a flashy new Lexus parked at home. Same with mother and babies, I'm sure she would prefer to leave the baby at home with a nanny. Lets give credit to those making the best of what they can afford.

Another favorite is "the government should do something" Well maybe they should but instead of blaming the local administration for not caring perhaps they are just being realistic by not bringing in modern safety rules and laws that most of the population couldn't afford to comply with.

Let's not be so Superior. Let's face it back in our perfect country we don't were safety helmets or use seat belts or obey traffic rules because we are so smart. No we do it because of traffic cops and hefty punishments if we don't.

Bike helmets and seat belts were available for years but because most people had the cavalier attitude and didn't bother to use them they had to make it law. I remember when the seat belt laws first came in they were selling T-Shirts with a diagonal black stripe across the chest so it would look like you were wearing the seat belt.................That's how smart we are.

End of rant :angry:

I don't see how these school mini-bus drivers are "making a fortune" Our guy charges 500Bt per month, if he has say 20 regular kids thats 10000Bt per month and nothing for school holidays. I don't think that's a "fortune" for living and running and maintaining a vehicle. Just another guy trying to make a living and I don't begrudge him my 500Bt

While I agree with most of these points it pisses me off slightly with the Superior attitude of some posters.

Not every one is in the position to chauffeur their kids to school each day. Believe me I do not put the kids on the Kamikaze school bus because I'm to lazy to get the Rangerover out of the garage.

Bear in mind this is not one of the "nanny states" There is no poor people payments or school children's allowance nor may other things we have come to expect from our 1st world government to take care of us. With the low income of most families, especially in rural areas, I think its to their credit that they send their kids to school at all.

Similarly all the holier than thou mutterings about how terrible it is to see whole families on motorbikes, mothers with babies in one arm riding around and all the rest of the irresponsible things we see each day on the roads. I'm sure the father with his family on the bike isn't riding about in all weathers while he's got a flashy new Lexus parked at home. Same with mother and babies, I'm sure she would prefer to leave the baby at home with a nanny. Lets give credit to those making the best of what they can afford.

Another favorite is "the government should do something" Well maybe they should but instead of blaming the local administration for not caring perhaps they are just being realistic by not bringing in modern safety rules and laws that most of the population couldn't afford to comply with.

Let's not be so Superior. Let's face it back in our perfect country we don't were safety helmets or use seat belts or obey traffic rules because we are so smart. No we do it because of traffic cops and hefty punishments if we don't.

Bike helmets and seat belts were available for years but because most people had the cavalier attitude and didn't bother to use them they had to make it law. I remember when the seat belt laws first came in they were selling T-Shirts with a diagonal black stripe across the chest so it would look like you were wearing the seat belt.................That's how smart we are.

End of rant :angry:

I don't see how these school mini-bus drivers are "making a fortune" Our guy charges 500Bt per month, if he has say 20 regular kids thats 10000Bt per month and nothing for school holidays. I don't think that's a "fortune" for living and running and maintaining a vehicle. Just another guy trying to make a living and I don't begrudge him my 500Bt

If that's the way you classify superior attitude feel free to put me in that category :) I'd call it taking responsibility for my actions.

When we had our first child going to school, we got up earlier so we could personally take them to school. At that point we didn't have a car either. We did buy a car though when the 2nd came along. The main reason for buying the car? Kids safety.

Families on motorbikes? I'm sure you're right they don't have a Lexus. On the other hand how much is a crash helmet each? I saw one motorbike yesterday with a small fitting to put a young child in - doubt it costs much either, may even have been home made. Much better than holding a child in your arms and driving. I also think many of the trips are probably not necessary to take a baby, and with a little planning and forethought, they could change schedules a bit.

Govt should do something? Forget it, the govt and authorities here leave a lot to be desired so you need to take even more responsibility for your actions than developed countries.

Now while you may wear seat belts and helmets out of fear of punishment. We do it out of being educated about the dangers. I remember when seat belts became compulsory, there were also plenty of education efforts to instill in people the dangers, eg survival rates at 30 and 40 mph with and without seat belts, ads with crash dummies showing what happens. I will almost always put a seat belt on when there is one, and ask for a helmet regardless of whether I can get away it with it or not.

Basically for most people in Thailand not complying with these things it comes down to: lack of taking responsibility for your own actions +/or lack of education +/or lazy +/or mai pen rai attitude

Taking the kids to and from school is a priority, as I can't think of many things more important than the kids safety :)

Edited by fletchsmile

Sorry if my mini rant caused offense to some. It was not aimed at any one in particular just a general rant at some attitudes by some members and not only on this thread.

Throughout the forum on practically any subject there will always be some members that will have the "Oh how irresponsible, stupid or that shouldn't be allowed" attitude without stopping to think that most times the majority of people are just trying to get along in their particular situation.

Yes the local bike helmets seem cheap to you and me but doubt they seem that cheap to some of the poorer local with a family of mouths to feed.

:unsure: observing the second bus this morning no i repeat no kids in the front,maybe they seen this topic B)

back to normal today 3kids on front seat one arms stretched out on the dash board nose pressed against the windscreen :o

Yes the local bike helmets seem cheap to you and me but doubt they seem that cheap to some of the poorer local with a family of mouths to feed.

Not really it's just laziness/can't be bothered/mai bpen rai/ lack of education/ lack of priority. Helmets start at a couple of hundred baht upwards. Anyone buying a new motocycle for 30k upwards or second hand 10k upwards should be able to afford at least a minimum quality helmet which is better than nothing - in terms of police fines soon pays for itself :)

Not really it's just laziness/can't be bothered/mai bpen rai/ lack of education/ lack of priority. Helmets start at a couple of hundred baht upwards. Anyone buying a new motocycle for 30k upwards or second hand 10k upwards should be able to afford at least a minimum quality helmet which is better than nothing - in terms of police fines soon pays for itself :)

i totally agree with fletchsmile they can afford a bike but to save a life they cant find the cost of a helmet for their kids say's it all.

I recall near where we live one of the converted trucks that has two benches in the back, normally crammed with 10-15 kids inside and then a lot of the 'lads' up to 10 standing on the tailgate at the back, had a bit of a mishap. Speeding through town on a busy road, the tailgate broke, 10 boys were dropped straight on to the road at 35 MPH bouncing everywhere, cars behind and on the other side of the road were hitting them, 8 died, poor sods, I am fortunate in that I can be my little girls taxi driver, I know some people work etc and cannot, and it is a tough decision, but maybe better to club together with a couple of other parents and find a reliable safe person to drive the kids to school.