Bangkok Governor Blamed On Flooding Mismanagement

webfact

Always highly entertaining to read comments advocating a coup, which by defenition is always illegal and unconstitutional, not to mention highly undemocratic. Comments made by people who are merely guests in this country. It is clear to me that the current government isn't the only one failing here, the actions of the bma are equally poor or probably more so. Their reluctance to drain as much as possible not only prolongs the suffering upstream, it is now also turning bkk into an expanding swimming pool. The level of saen saeb speaks volumes, or are they now sacrifying bangkapi?

Always? - the first coup brought democracy to Thailand, the last removed a would-be dictator, and his return will probably trigger the next. Hopefully they will have learnt a lesson about misplaced compassion.

Yes! Always! Just because you somehow like the outcome of a specific action, doesn't make that action legal!

...or good! ...or right!

Legal is what the book of law tells. If you like it or not. If someone writes in it that he is lifetime dictator than it is legal (for example in Saudi Arabia)

Good and right is something complete different. I would say good and right is what is good for the people. Shinawatra dictatorship is the worst in my opinion. And remember how he tried to get power by unconstitutional means last time.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told it would be impossible to remove the Governor based on his bloodline/family connections.......more likely the government would be removed before the Governor.

Interesting little power struggle going on......

Before YS does anything, it is worth to check who is the grand-father of the current Governor.

Just checked that out on Wikipedia.

Holy crap :blink: DIRECTLY related to a man who is still HIGHLY revered.

Kicking him out and making him lose face would be a a very rash move and would certainly bite the PT in the ass.

edit: YS is not stupid enough to kick him out. She knows his history, you can be sure of that.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Well the people in Bangkok are already upset. I don't know what more to come: unemployment, diseases? But you are right, it is not a real trigger. If there are demonstrations and violence on the street, even relative small scale it might be enough. Lets wait and see.....

If the anti-PTP elements in BKK agitate for a coup, I think you will find there will be even more people standing against one. There are huge numbers of government supporters in Bangkok without what may come form surrounding provinces and those further away. I think the army are fully aware of this too and after last year will have little desire to intervene in such an unpopular fashion especially now after flood relief carried out quite cooperatively with the central government gives them a chance to go back to barracks with heads held high and seeing government-military trust improved. Thai Rath had another good cartoon of the shadowy shadow trying to cause rifts in the government-military flood response by the way. Thai Rath is of course read by loads more Thai people than any of the stuff we read.

BKK isnt Thailand but a small part of it and even the capital is very very divided as we saw last year, and see now again

--Quote-- "Members of the Pheu Thai Party meeting yesterday threatened to discharge the Bangkok Governor for failing to handle the flood crisis effectively." - - unquote

So, according to this headline, in Thailand members of the ruling party can just "DISCHARGE" the governor of the most important province.

Is that true?? What kind of a constitution is that?? Isn't he an elected man in his province??

Can somebody help me here?

The administration of Bangkok does not fall under the constitution.

It would seem the Interior Minister does have the authority to do so under the Bangkok Metropolis Organisation Act of 2528 (1985).

Why remove him? He is a great blame figure. Cant see it happening as PTP can make far too much mileage from all the thing she did that made it worse to those outside BKK and in western and northern parts of the city. The cartoons have already started portraying him as the cause of worse flooding north of BKK and the PTP have started wading in.

Oh and he is also very unpredictable and very arrogant and not in the Abhisit wing of the Dems, so why do Abhisit a double favour? Oh and the governor is also one of the dems who believe in cutting a deal with Thaksin but was stopped by Abhisit, so far better to leave him as a thorn for the opposition and a punch bag for PTP operatives in flooded areas. That is politics

Furthermore, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung commented that the Interior Ministry can exercise its authority to discharge the Bangkok Governor owing to his inefficiency.

I'd like to see them try that.

I hope Chalerm has checked his facts.

As the Bangkok Governor is voted for by the people of Bangkok, I think the rules concerning any dismissal would be quite different to that of any other province.

It will be interesting to see it tried on.

not to mention that most people wouldn't trust Chalerm if he told them that bangkok was flooded

Why remove him? He is a great blame figure. Cant see it happening as PTP can make far too much mileage from all the thing she did that made it worse to those outside BKK and in western and northern parts of the city. The cartoons have already started portraying him as the cause of worse flooding north of BKK and the PTP have started wading in.

Oh and he is also very unpredictable and very arrogant and not in the Abhisit wing of the Dems, so why do Abhisit a double favour? Oh and the governor is also one of the dems who believe in cutting a deal with Thaksin but was stopped by Abhisit, so far better to leave him as a thorn for the opposition and a punch bag for PTP operatives in flooded areas. That is politics

Chalerm doesn't seem to think that way.

Always highly entertaining to read comments advocating a coup, which by defenition is always illegal and unconstitutional, not to mention highly undemocratic. Comments made by people who are merely guests in this country. It is clear to me that the current government isn't the only one failing here, the actions of the bma are equally poor or probably more so. Their reluctance to drain as much as possible not only prolongs the suffering upstream, it is now also turning bkk into an expanding swimming pool. The level of saen saeb speaks volumes, or are they now sacrifying bangkapi?

Always? - the first coup brought democracy to Thailand, the last removed a would-be dictator, and his return will probably trigger the next. Hopefully they will have learnt a lesson about misplaced compassion.

Yes! Always! Just because you somehow like the outcome of a specific action, doesn't make that action legal!

...or good! ...or right!

Legal is what the book of law tells. If you like it or not. If someone writes in it that he is lifetime dictator than it is legal (for example in Saudi Arabia)

Good and right is something complete different. I would say good and right is what is good for the people. Shinawatra dictatorship is the worst in my opinion. And remember how he tried to get power by unconstitutional means last time.

Exactly: legal is what the book of law tells you. So please point out any law that says: if some people are fed up with XY, the Army is entitled to come out of their barracks and stage a coup!

I would go as far as a coup would be "justified" although that is also very thin ice!

--Quote-- "Members of the Pheu Thai Party meeting yesterday threatened to discharge the Bangkok Governor for failing to handle the flood crisis effectively." - - unquote

So, according to this headline, in Thailand members of the ruling party can just "DISCHARGE" the governor of the most important province.

Is that true?? What kind of a constitution is that?? Isn't he an elected man in his province??

It would seem the Interior Minister does have the authority to do so under the Bangkok Metropolis Organisation Act of 2528 (1985).

I agree. I'm afraid I went off a bit on one there earlier. The business of the very public slanging match between the governor and the water authority. He claiming they hadn't provided him with his requested pumps and then we found out as in this thread he hadn't already requested them! Priceless. His mission to protect inner Bangkok. Nothing wrong with that except everyone else has to suffer outside and that's "not my problem." That's why there is a national government not just power cliques.

Agree with a lot of what you say, but I wouldn't be so sure the "PTP operatives" are getting off so lightly either. It seems the word in Don Muang is fast turning into anger against the local MP Karun for not helping people. For example his truck came around telling people to go and collect a free bag of goodies - a bit hard if you're more than 50 meters from the supply point. In contrast, the Dems guy, who lost badly to him last time, has been out and about in a boat, handing out parcels at your front door. "That is politics", as you say.

More whilst he's never been the most liked person in Don Muang, people generally have never shown the sort of anger which is being directed his way now. Up till now people seemed to "forgive" him because he was always handing out freebies. Soon as he is beaten by somebody with a better deal, they're off. Hubris as he showed after the election has no place at times like this.

Stunts such as breaking down flood barriers don't do much if you can't see them having any effect on your own house. Time for him to forget how the red shirts do it and help "his" people...

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

What a joke! If there is a next coup it won t be bloodless...the last coup may have removed the woudl be dictator but was far from brought the democracy

It's in no ones interest to have a bloody coup. The army can run circles around this present Govt. They can stage a coup anytime and it will be over before anyone knows it's happened.

Now on the other hand, the red shirt leaders will want blood and will want to burn Bangkok as usual. If it's bloody, it will be because of those idiots. But with a miliytary Govt they won't have Abhisit, the nice guy, as their opponent and they won't get very far beyond their front steps.

However I don't think there will be a coup .... yet. In a few more weeks the popular opinion against this Govt and PTP (and yes the Red Shirt leadership also) will be such that it won't be necessary. No confidence motion and a new election will put an end to this terrible chapter of Thai history.

Edited by rogerdee123

May as well blame someone , thats about the extent of their capacity in the brain dept, they just couldn't sit down and talk it out and find solutions , point scoring at its worst. Thailand I fear for your future with this sort of rabble in charge.:bah:

quote name='sjaak327' timestamp='1320819767' post='4834192'

/quote

...or good! ...or right!

Exactly: legal is what the book of law tells you. So please point out any law that says: if some people are fed up with XY, the Army is entitled to come out of their barracks and stage a coup!

I would go as far as a coup would be "justified" although that is also very thin ice!

The book of law will tell it AFTER the successful coup. Like it does for the last coup (in the constitution).

That why successful coups are (afterwards) legal.

Well the people in Bangkok are already upset. I don't know what more to come: unemployment, diseases? But you are right, it is not a real trigger. If there are demonstrations and violence on the street, even relative small scale it might be enough. Lets wait and see.....

If the anti-PTP elements in BKK agitate for a coup, I think you will find there will be even more people standing against one. There are huge numbers of government supporters in Bangkok without what may come form surrounding provinces and those further away. I think the army are fully aware of this too and after last year will have little desire to intervene in such an unpopular fashion especially now after flood relief carried out quite cooperatively with the central government gives them a chance to go back to barracks with heads held high and seeing government-military trust improved. Thai Rath had another good cartoon of the shadowy shadow trying to cause rifts in the government-military flood response by the way. Thai Rath is of course read by loads more Thai people than any of the stuff we read.

BKK isnt Thailand but a small part of it and even the capital is very very divided as we saw last year, and see now again

No the won't no one want to fight with the army for 500 Baht

...or good! ...or right!

Was the overthrow of Ferdinand Marcos illegal ... who cares?! Everyone wanted it. Do you think that coup was not good? Do you think it was not right?

I'm not saying Yingluck is the same as Marcos, so don't put those words in my mouth.

but what I am saying is your reference to legalities is irrelevant. The context and realities of the situation are what matters and that's how history will judge it.

Deputy PM: Governor Can be Discharged

Pheu Thai Party Deputy Spokesman Jirayu Huangsap revealed that in a Pheu Thai party meeting with Royal Irrigation Department and Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) held to discuss the cause of the flood, Pracha Promnok, Minister of Justice and Director of Flood Relief Operation Centre (FROC), said that he received a letter from the Bangkok Governor Sukhumband Paribatra demanding water pumps from FROC on Nov 4 but Bangkok Governor had said on Nov 3 that he did not receive any cooperation from FROC.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung stated in the meeting that if the Bangkok Governor is inefficient in his work, the Ministry of Interior can seek to discharge him.

Source: Bangkokbiznews

...or good! ...or right!

The people that actualy do have the right to vote seem to disagree with you, time to accept it.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised that the 'Justice' Minister was lying about when he received the letter asking for water pumps. FROC has been doing such a bang up job so far so it'd be easy to put the blame on someone else wouldn't it? It's a typical Red tactic.

Pheu Thai Party Deputy Spokesman Jirayu Huangsap revealed that in a Pheu Thai party meeting with Royal Irrigation Department and Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) held to discuss the cause of the flood, Pracha Promnok, Minister of Justice and Director of Flood Relief Operation Centre (FROC), said that he received a letter from the Bangkok Governor Sukhumband Paribatra demanding water pumps from FROC on Nov 4 but Bangkok Governor had said on Nov 3 that he did not receive any cooperation from FROC.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung stated in the meeting that if the Bangkok Governor is inefficient in his work, the Ministry of Interior can seek to discharge him.

It would be nice to know when the letter was sent, not just received.

It would behoove the Director to show a copy of the letter to the media, to see the sent date and the received stamp. The Governor might wish to show his copy with the sent date as well. Let's get it sorted, guys.

Where is the top-flight reporting we've come to expect?

The book of law will tell it AFTER the successful coup. Like it does for the last coup (in the constitution).

And with points like THAT you are groaning about TS changing the tax law and shoveling cash into his own pockets?

That is a VERY interesting way of looking at "the law".

...or good! ...or right!

Was the overthrow of Ferdinand Marcos illegal ... who cares?! Everyone wanted it. Do you think that coup was not good? Do you think it was not right?

I'm not saying Yingluck is the same as Marcos, so don't put those words in my mouth.

but what I am saying is your reference to legalities is irrelevant. The context and realities of the situation are what matters and that's how history will judge it.

We were talking about legal, as some posters on here treat a coup or even justify it, calling it legal.

Nothing else!

Idi Amin, Hitler...yeah, go ahead!

But just think about it for a second: the case is not so clear, when it comes to Thaksin (f.e.), because obviously not EVERYBODY wanted it. A big part of Thailands population actually was NOT in favor of the Army, no matter how many people in Bangkok were draping flower- garlands around tank- cannons.

And now tell me: where do YOU draw the line?

Deputy PM Reserved on BKK Governor Dismissal

A deputy prime minister said the dismissal of the Bangkok governor is a serious issue and therefore should not be considered during this critical time.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung talked about rumors about the dismissal of the Bangkok governor, saying that he personally thinks it is unnecessary at this time since it is a very important issue.

He said the Bangkok governor is working well with the government even though he is with the opposition Democrat Party.

Chalerm said the dismissal of the governor is not officially his responsibility, but there have been recent discussions that it would be legally feasible for him to issue the order under the Administrative Act of 1985.

Regarding the killings of 13 Chinese boat crewmen that Chalerm has been supervising for over two weeks, Chalerm said that the case is going well and the Chinese government is satisfied with Thai government's handling of the case.

He further said the case is under his authority as well as the National Police Office and does not involve any other units.

He said that each legal procedure must be in compliance with the law and applied impartially.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-09

footer_n.gif

And with points like THAT you are groaning about TS changing the tax law and shoveling cash into his own pockets?

That is a VERY interesting way of looking at "the law".

You took the words right out of my mouth. The bias is painfully obvious. And then remembering the same poster cheering the yellows who couldn't accept samak's governement trying to change the constitution, which is well within their right. This time aroud coalition partners switching sides won't help, hence the plead for a coup.

We were talking about legal, as some posters on here treat a coup or even justify it, calling it legal.

Nothing else!

But just think about it for a second: the case is not so clear, when it comes to Thaksin (f.e.), because obviously not EVERYBODY wanted it. A big part of Thailands population actually was NOT in favor of the Army, no matter how many people in Bangkok were draping flower- garlands around tank- cannons.

Overthrowing a corrupt and incompetent government no matter how many misguided supporters that government has, is still overthrowing a corrupt and incompetent government. It's the right thing to do.

quote name='sjaak327' timestamp='1320819767' post='4834192'

/quote

...or good! ...or right!

Nothing else!

Lets recall that at the moment of the coup Thaksins caretaker time has expired, he opened parliament with less than the amount of MPs necessary.

So technically he wasn't premier anymore and technically the parliament was illegal. So it wasn't a usual coup.

The whole purpose was to establish democracy again. No evil military dictator wanted to control Thailand. Instead they made an election as soon as possible. And actually too soon.

Nothing else!

Overthrowing a corrupt and incompetent government no matter how many misguided supporters that government has, is still overthrowing a corrupt and incompetent government. It's the right thing to do.

And don't forget that the corrupt and incompetent government was unconstitutional at this moment.

Furthermore, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung commented that the Interior Ministry can exercise its authority to discharge the Bangkok Governor owing to his inefficiency.

I'd like to see them try that.

Yes, me too.

Clean them out.

Clean who out? The FROC Squad?B)

Good idea to get rid of the ONLY GUY who seems to know at least a little bit ofwhat he is talking about! Disgusting!

Nothing else!

The last coup was a good coup. A very good coup indeed. PAD & AV should return to the airports.

Nothing else!

Unfortunately I am not really interested in your personal opinion on any government. I'd rather discuss matters with h90, who at least has some valuable points, whereas you are just ranting!

Have a nice day!