Buying A MacBook In Pattaya With English-Only Keyboard

tropo

I went to iStudio in Paragon yesterday and bought a 13 inch Macbook Pro and was offered the choice of an English only keyboard, no problem, in fact they were quite insistent but I had to explain that it was for my girlfriend so they happily gave me a dual language one instead.

Edited by ianwuk

everything customzied they will order - so there is not reason to give them order if you can order online yourself

in my experience it wasnt so easy as you need to have thaibank card and confirm address for the apple after you placed your order, for this I asked the bank to print my card name and address on they paper for me to scan and to send to apple

after this I have ordered many things from apple for my friends

and for me - I ordered thai keyboard (I would be happy if they had ONLY thai - for fun but this is not possible) but now my thai girl can use it too :)

I went to iStudio in Paragon yesterday and bought a 13 inch Macbook Pro and was offered the choice of an English only keyboard, no problem, in fact they were quite insistent but I had to explain that it was for my girlfriend so they happily gave me a dual language one instead.

Did they have 13" MacBook Airs with English only keyboards?

Did you ever get your AirBook?

Yes, I got it last week. I had to wait just over 2 weeks - ordered from Tukcom - Smart Icon.

Yes, I got it last week. I had to wait just over 2 weeks - ordered from Tukcom - Smart Icon.

Have you played with it? Since you haven't owned a Mac before, I believe I read, I was just wondering what you think of it? I've had Macs since 1995 and they all still work...

Have you played with it? Since you haven't owned a Mac before, I believe I read, I was just wondering what you think of it? I've had Macs since 1995 and they all still work...

Yes, I've played with it quite a bit. It was a bit frustrating at first, but now that I'm starting to get the hang of it I like it. The speed of loading programs, restarting etc - great. No messing around with anti-virus/anti-malware programs makes a pleasant change.

Can I ask you a question. There's something that is annoying the he*l out of me. I installed Yahoo Messenger 3.0.1 beta. It's working fine, but every time I restart the computer and I access the HD or Applications folder it asks me to install it (again). I get a dialog box asking me to "agree" or "disagree" to the YM conditions. If I click on disagree the dialog box keeps coming back. If I click "agree" I get the dialog box asking me to drag the icon into the applications folder - then I cancel this out. If I drag the icon across it will ask me to replace the existing YM application - but this doesn't stop it from asking to install again on the next restart.

I've tried deleting all traces of YM on the computer using "Appcleaner" and then downloading a new install file from Yahoo but it doesn't help.

If you cannot help me with this, where is a good place to get help. I've tried Googling for an answer but cannot find a thing on this particular problem. Perhaps it's a bug with the new Lion OS or the YM 3.0.1 beta is not compatible with the new Lion OS??

Yes, I've played with it quite a bit. It was a bit frustrating at first, but now that I'm starting to get the hang of it I like it. The speed of loading programs, restarting etc - great. No messing around with anti-virus/anti-malware programs makes a pleasant change.

Can I ask you a question. There's something that is annoying the he*l out of me. I installed Yahoo Messenger 3.0.1 beta. It's working fine, but every time I restart the computer and I access the HD or Applications folder it asks me to install it (again). I get a dialog box asking me to "agree" or "disagree" to the YM conditions. If I click on disagree the dialog box keeps coming back. If I click "agree" I get the dialog box asking me to drag the icon into the applications folder - then I cancel this out. If I drag the icon across it will ask me to replace the existing YM application - but this doesn't stop it from asking to install again on the next restart.

I've tried deleting all traces of YM on the computer using "Appcleaner" and then downloading a new install file from Yahoo but it doesn't help.

If you cannot help me with this, where is a good place to get help. I've tried Googling for an answer but cannot find a thing on this particular problem. Perhaps it's a bug with the new Lion OS or the YM 3.0.1 beta is not compatible with the new Lion OS??

To actually install it it has to be dragged into the apps folder. Otherwise it is just opening an image file. At least with most any app that is. I don't use Yahoo messenger, so I'm not sure why it's doing that. Oh another thing you need to close the disc image. Double click on your flash drive icon and on the left you should see what looks like a drive named something like Yahoo messenger. Click the eject icon next to it so it does open everytime you restart. Or drag the YM icon that looks like a drive to the trash. Hope that helps... If not I'll maybe install it to see what's up.

To actually install it it has to be dragged into the apps folder. Otherwise it is just opening an image file. At least with most any app that is. I don't use Yahoo messenger, so I'm not sure why it's doing that. Oh another thing you need to close the disc image. Double click on your flash drive icon and on the left you should see what looks like a drive named something like Yahoo messenger. Click the eject icon next to it so it does open everytime you restart. Or drag the YM icon that looks like a drive to the trash. Hope that helps... If not I'll maybe install it to see what's up.

If I click the eject icon next to the Yahoo messenger icon in the flash drive it asks me to install again even without a restart. Just to clarify, Yahoo Messenger is already installed and working perfectly when I'm asked to install it again after a restart. There is no other way to get rid of the dialog box which pops up without clicking on "agree".

I've installed a number of other programs without a hitch. Yahoo Messenger was the very first program I installed on the brand new system.

If I click the eject icon next to the Yahoo messenger icon in the flash drive it asks me to install again even without a restart. Just to clarify, Yahoo Messenger is already installed and working perfectly when I'm asked to install it again after a restart. There is no other way to get rid of the dialog box which pops up without clicking on "agree".

I've installed a number of other programs without a hitch. Yahoo Messenger was the very first program I installed on the brand new system.

And you already dragged the messenger icon into the applications folder? Hum sounds like the new YM may have a glitch. Don't know what to tell you... Contact Yahoo, maybe they have an answer.

And you already dragged the messenger icon into the applications folder? Hum sounds like the new YM may have a glitch. Don't know what to tell you... Contact Yahoo, maybe they have an answer.

Yes, that's how I installed it the first time. When it asks me again I cross out that window and I'm done until the next restart when it asks me all over again, and again.....

I'll try to contact Yahoo. Thanks for your assistance.

... Contact Yahoo, maybe they have an answer.

Upon trying to contact Yahoo support I got this message:

As of November 15, 2011 Yahoo! Customer Care will no longer provide agent support Yahoo! Messenger for Mac. If you continue to use this product and have questions or concerns about it, please use the self-service help pages.

Yahoo's last update was in July, the month when Lion was first released and it's still classified beta. Have they given up?

Edit: I think I've found the answer. Lion has a new program called iChat which has been integrated with Yahoo Messenger. I've been trying to run both programs together on the Mac so that we can chat using 2 Yahoo ID's simultaneously. I'll have to contact Apple's iChat support.

Edited by tropo

... Contact Yahoo, maybe they have an answer.

Upon trying to contact Yahoo support I got this message:

As of November 15, 2011 Yahoo! Customer Care will no longer provide agent support Yahoo! Messenger for Mac. If you continue to use this product and have questions or concerns about it, please use the self-service help pages.

Yahoo's last update was in July, the month when Lion was first released and it's still classified beta. Have they given up?

Edit: I think I've found the answer. Lion has a new program called iChat which has been integrated with Yahoo Messenger. I've been trying to run both programs together on the Mac so that we can chat using 2 Yahoo ID's simultaneously. I'll have to contact Apple's iChat support.

iChat has been around since OSX, but it was for AOL IM. Maybe the new one does work with YM. Good luck with your YM project. I can't even remember my YM user name, never even use iChat anymore. Everyone I know is on FaceBook. I just use their message.

I'm not running Lion as it won't work with some software I use. Well actually it's more software other people use. MS Office 2011 for Mac doesn't seem want to open old Word documents sent with really old versions of Word for Windows. Works fine with Office OSX which will run in 10.6.8 but not 10.7.

iChat has been around since OSX, but it was for AOL IM. Maybe the new one does work with YM. Good luck with your YM project. I can't even remember my YM user name, never even use iChat anymore. Everyone I know is on FaceBook. I just use their message.

I'm not running Lion as it won't work with some software I use. Well actually it's more software other people use. MS Office 2011 for Mac doesn't seem want to open old Word documents sent with really old versions of Word for Windows. Works fine with Office OSX which will run in 10.6.8 but not 10.7.

I solved the problem. It was as simple as removing the .dmg file from the download folder.

Yes, iChat works with Yahoo Messenger, that is why they have discontinued to offer support for Yahoo Messenger for Mac. Yahoo Messenger is now integrated with iChat but they are working fine along side each other so my wife can chat in 2 different Yahoo ID's at the same time.

Edited by tropo

I solved the problem. It was as simple as removing the .dmg file from the download folder.

Yes, iChat works with Yahoo Messenger, that is why they have discontinued to offer support for Yahoo Messenger for Mac. Yahoo Messenger is now integrated with iChat but they are working fine along side each other so my wife can chat in 2 different Yahoo ID's at the same time.

Huh, that's odd. I have never had to delete a dmg file. I usually keep them. But come to think of it, usually on another hard drive in case I need it again. I have some older computers that won't run the newest versions of software or OS, so I keep them just in case...

Glad you got it to work though!

Huh, that's odd. I have never had to delete a dmg file. I usually keep them. But come to think of it, usually on another hard drive in case I need it again. I have some older computers that won't run the newest versions of software or OS, so I keep them just in case...

Glad you got it to work though!

It was probably some incompatibility between the old Yahoo Messenger beta program and the new Lion OS X. I don't think many people would bother with it since it is now integrated with iChat.

I haven't had to delete any other .dmg files after installing... yet.

I'm using Apple Support Communities - a great resource for info.

Just curious why you guys don't just buy it online from Apple? What's the benefit of having a local store order it for you?

I could just as easily ask why order online if a local store can get it for you. Some people may not trust an online store would be one reason. It could be too easy to get jacked around and there is no one to go and see about a problem would be another.

Don't forget the TIT factor, even if it is an Apple Store.

I was curious how you get your VAT refund documents when you order online?

Edited by tropo

Just curious why you guys don't just buy it online from Apple? What's the benefit of having a local store order it for you?

I could just as easily ask why order online if a local store can get it for you. Some people may not trust an online store would be one reason. It could be too easy to get jacked around and there is no one to go and see about a problem would be another.

Don't forget the TIT factor, even if it is an Apple Store.

I was curious how you get your VAT refund documents when you order online?

I think you are wrong on the TIT point. They have international call centers. Call them and ask... Just curious, are you an expat or tourist? Are you leaving the country soon? The only place you can get your VAT refund is at the airport on your way out of the country. Apple Care support is second to none anywhere in the world, in my experience... You can call them and ask a question and if they can't answer immediately, they will get back to you ASAP. They will also tell you where the closest certified Apple repair center is and what to do, if you do indeed have a problem...

I just had a Seagate external firewire 800 MBps drive die. They have no customer service. It has a five year warranty, it is two years old. I found a form online and I have to mail the drive to Singapore for ฿900 plus... And I may have to pay customs for the replacement! I had a battery swell up in my MacBook Pro. I called Apple Care. They told me the name number and address of the local certified repair place here in Phuket. I went, they ran a test and shipped me a free new battery to my house from Singapore... Try that with Acer or any other computer manufacturer!

Edited by Jimi007

I think you are wrong on the TIT point. They have international call centers. Call them and ask... Just curious, are you an expat or tourist? Are you leaving the country soon? The only place you can get your VAT refund is at the airport on your way out of the country.

That is correct. If you are leaving within 60 days you can get the VAT 7% (minus fees) refunded on your way out. It doesn't matter if you're an expat or tourists, as long as you're leaving.

The forms were supplied when I bought the computer. That's the only time you're able to get the forms - at the time you're making the purchase.

Edited by tropo