10 Million Baht Investor Visa Discontinued?

The 3 million ended for new applicants in 2006 but for those in the system continues as part of section 2.5 of police order 777/2551. The 10 million is still open and handled by immigration under the same provision and the last I heard can still be obtained.

Can one apply visa out of Thailand based on 10 mil in Thaibank?

As far as I know it has to be done from inside Thailand. They change the visa to a Non-Immigrant (IM) for you once you made the deposit.

You enter Thailand with an ordinary non-immigrant "O" visa and then apply to immigration for a 1 year extension of stay based on investment. A non-immigrant "IM" visa is available, from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate, with concurrence of relevant governmental agencies, but still needs to be extended on an annual basis by immigration..

Edited by InterestedObserver

The 3 million ended for new applicants in 2006 but for those in the system continues as part of section 2.5 of police order 777/2551. The 10 million is still open and handled by immigration under the same provision and the last I heard can still be obtained.

Have you heard of a successful applicant in the past couple of years?

I know of an applicant who invested at the time the requirement was only 2 Million... and he is still getting his Non-Immigrant (IM) renewed every year.

I know of an applicant who invested at the time the requirement was only 2 Million... and he is still getting his Non-Immigrant (IM) renewed every year.

Good to hear that they are still giving him an extension of stay based on investment. I don't suppose they are still issuing this visa.

There is also a (theoretical) category for Permanent Residence based on 10 million Baht investment, but I have never heard of anybody successfully applying for that.

There is also a (theoretical) category for Permanent Residence based on 10 million Baht investment, but I have never heard of anybody successfully applying for that.

They do seem to 'grandfather' the earlier applicants. I was very interested in the 10 million PR, but all my queries in the immigration seemed to fall on dead ears.. The PR category is ON their list, but they seem adamant it DOESN'T exist.. It is on the list..can i apply> NO ?!? Which is dissapointing/confusing ! Wonder if anyone ever applied,and got PR on that category..

The PR option for investment of 10 million is currently not availeble. It run through the Board of Investement, not immigration itself. The BOI has for now discontinued this option, only when they make an announcement can one apply. But the latestes anouncement was almost 10 years ago and a new announcement is not expected.

It might even be that one still had need of a work permit for this category of PR, so that merely investing was not enough.

It might even be that one still had need of a work permit for this category of PR, so that merely investing was not enough.

That's correct, I asked that section at immigration about this in 2009 and they said that applicants in all categories (including investor category) need to be in current work of not less than 12months with the same employer up until the time of application. (and of course have work permit). I think the requirements are still listed on the immigration website.

On a slightly off topic question, does anyone know if PR applications are going to be open this year? AFAIK, they have not accepted any new applications since 2009 - 2yrs ago. Would be good to know early if they will be closed again this year.

Edited by Time Traveller

That's correct, I asked that section at immigration about this in 2009 and they said that applicants in all categories (including investor category) need to be in current work of not less than 12months with the same employer up until the time of application. (and of course have work permit). I think the requirements are still listed on the immigration website.

On a slightly off topic question, does anyone know if PR applications are going to be open this year? AFAIK, they have not accepted any new applications since 2009 - 2yrs ago. Would be good to know early if they will be closed again this year.

Nobody knows, but there still is a back-log, so chances are they will not take new applications.

Check the requirements for Thai nationality, if you have a Thai spouse that might be a better option.

The PR option for investment of 10 million is currently not availeble. It run through the Board of Investement, not immigration itself. The BOI has for now discontinued this option, only when they make an announcement can one apply. But the latestes anouncement was almost 10 years ago and a new announcement is not expected.

The BOI applications for PR have been the result of special waivers and were usually for a limit 3 year period. When I enquired about one of the offers in the 90s, the BOI told me that frankly they were able to get anyone PR because other govt depts like the Bank of Thailand had refused to cooperate with them. They tried once more but I guess they decided the lack of cooperation was doing foreign investment more harm than good and they lost face by not being able to deliver. Now they seem to see themselves more as facilitating Thai investment overseas, since even Thai companies have realised the country is no longer competitive and that they can easily invest in foreign countries without the racist restrictions they impose on foreign investors in Thailand.

Edited by Arkady