2012 Chevy Trailblazer

I've been driving my new LTZ1 for 3 days and have the following comments so far:

1. Handling when compared to my 2011 Isuzu 4x4 is light years ahead. It tracks corners positively and there is no spongy feel. Love it. Handles better then the Fortuner as well.
  2. The size is excellent. Much roomier than the Paj Sport (and my Isuzu)which feels (although comfortable) too narrow. The real Pajero is not on sale here which is a much bigger SUV. Had them, like them.
  3. I fitted a very reputable diesel tuning box today and wow what a difference. Maaaaaaan, does she fly. I mean seriously hauls ass. Everything the company said about this computer tuning box is true. It doesn't affect the manufacturers warranty either. It also has a remote control so you can turn it off for her-in-doors or anyone for that matter. And NO I'm not an agent for this piece of kit. Just totally stoked with the results.
  4. With the 3rd row of seats down you do lose a bit of height for cargo. If it's a problem I'll just unbolt them like I've done with my Landcruisers, Discoveries and Pajero's in the past.
  5. Cockpit view is excellent. If you can't reverse without a camera then something is wrong with the driver not the car.
  6. A bit plasticky but I'm doing my own mods there in real leather. i.e the centre arm rest and the door arm rests.
  7. Disappointed the upholstery wasn't real leather but I'm going to recover the front seats with the real deal.
  8. Can't imagine why they didn't install a clock!
  9. I'll be manufacturing my own tow bar so let me know if anyone else wants one.
  10. Instruction manual only in Thai, why?
  11. No remote for the entertainment centre (navi) which is annoying. Does have controls on the wheel but limited.
  12. All in all the best SUV for the money available in Thailand right now. I would recommend the LTZ1
  13. P.S. My drivers door made a great scratching canvas for my 2.5 year old daughter with a sharp rock in her hand. Compete respray needed after day 3 which is pretty good going if you ask me lol

I have my Trailblazer now a whole week and just drove to Jomtien and back (from Bangkok).

Amazing mileage, about 8.5 liter per 100 km. (My In-Laws' Mitsu never gets below 10 liters/100 km)

It's my first SUV based on a truck, Obvioulsy I need to get used to the lack of feeling from the streering and the long breaking distance. Also the seats are not comfortable for me, seating surface too short.

There is a minuscule clock in the navi screen. Too small though.

And I also got a remote for the media player.

I asked for an English manual and it was supplied 3 days after delivery of the car.

Interiour is leather, but I agree, the plastic dash looks cheap.

My kids ask for some big screen entertainment. I thought of a TV screen attached to the roof and foldable. Does anyone know what and where?

• Like 1

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my first SUV based on a truck, Obvioulsy I need to get used to the lack of feeling from the streering and the long breaking distance. Also the seats are not comfortable for me, seating surface too short.

Sorry, what were the positives? :D

I fitted a very reputable diesel tuning box today and wow what a difference. Maaaaaaan, does she fly. I mean seriously hauls ass. Everything the company said about this computer tuning box is true. It doesn't affect the manufacturers warranty either.

Sorry, are you saying the tuning box vendor will honor the OEM warranty? If so, I'd be very curious to know how they are (and indeed if they are capable of honoring the warranty).

There's no factory-approved tuning upgrades for the Trailblazer, so any 3rd party chips/mods will certainly void the OEM drivetrain warranty.... unless you can easily remove those upgrades w/out leaving telltale traces before taking it in for servicing/repairs ;)

I've been driving my new LTZ1 for 3 days and have the following comments so far:

1. Handling when compared to my 2011 Isuzu 4x4 is light years ahead. It tracks corners positively and there is no spongy feel. Love it. Handles better then the Fortuner as well.
  2. The size is excellent. Much roomier than the Paj Sport (and my Isuzu)which feels (although comfortable) too narrow. The real Pajero is not on sale here which is a much bigger SUV. Had them, like them.
  3. I fitted a very reputable diesel tuning box today and wow what a difference. Maaaaaaan, does she fly. I mean seriously hauls ass. Everything the company said about this computer tuning box is true. It doesn't affect the manufacturers warranty either. It also has a remote control so you can turn it off for her-in-doors or anyone for that matter. And NO I'm not an agent for this piece of kit. Just totally stoked with the results.
  4. With the 3rd row of seats down you do lose a bit of height for cargo. If it's a problem I'll just unbolt them like I've done with my Landcruisers, Discoveries and Pajero's in the past.
  5. Cockpit view is excellent. If you can't reverse without a camera then something is wrong with the driver not the car.
  6. A bit plasticky but I'm doing my own mods there in real leather. i.e the centre arm rest and the door arm rests.
  7. Disappointed the upholstery wasn't real leather but I'm going to recover the front seats with the real deal.
  8. Can't imagine why they didn't install a clock!
  9. I'll be manufacturing my own tow bar so let me know if anyone else wants one.
  10. Instruction manual only in Thai, why?
  11. No remote for the entertainment centre (navi) which is annoying. Does have controls on the wheel but limited.
  12. All in all the best SUV for the money available in Thailand right now. I would recommend the LTZ1
  13. P.S. My drivers door made a great scratching canvas for my 2.5 year old daughter with a sharp rock in her hand. Compete respray needed after day 3 which is pretty good going if you ask me lol

I have my Trailblazer now a whole week and just drove to Jomtien and back (from Bangkok).

Amazing mileage, about 8.5 liter per 100 km. (My In-Laws' Mitsu never gets below 10 liters/100 km)

And I also got a remote for the media player.

I asked for an English manual and it was supplied 3 days after delivery of the car.

My kids ask for some big screen entertainment. I thought of a TV screen attached to the roof and foldable. Does anyone know what and where?

Very good points of observations! thumbsup.gif

Sorry, what were the positives? biggrin.png

The diesel chip sees to be moving things along. I for one, would like more info about it. coffee1.gif

Edited by thailoht

• 4 months later...

The new ECU comes from a company in the UK. Very easy to fit and remove if you have to. The company claim it cannot effect the OEM warranty because it is not operating the engine outside it's designed parameters. Anyway it's easy to remove if that was ever going to be an issue. I drove down to BKK and put my rig on a dyno, over 200BHP with the unit on and only 160 odd with it off. I plan to ask Chev why they claim 180??????

Fiited some X member roof rails which are coming in mighty handy but they have made them curved which is no good for Thule racks etc. very strange. Also fitted a tow bar (with wiring) which I use all the time with my trailer. Have the benefits of a long deck pick up with the comfort of an SUV.

Also found some awesome 4x4 country so if anyone is keen to join me?? I live in Korat.

I used it for 4Days, just hated those Piggy Eyed Rev n Spedo Dials, the rear air-con button idea is nuts, why not in the rear. Hard to get into being tall. Handling/Suspension brakes, best in class. Seemed fast, better than Fortuna, more PJS to me.Not bad i suppose but Chevy lost my trust selling Daewoo to unsuspecting folk here who dreamed of owning the Bow Tie one day, as some do for the B.M. Badge.What if BM sold a re badged Dihatsu, not on.!!coffee1.gif

and about chipping the car, the car's ECU will have a log of that in the fuel pump delivery pressure was above normal. good luck with the warranty....

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Well, it's not a Benz, BMW or Porsche that requires a manual rest of the service light, so it's not normally being hooked to to diagnostics during servicing.

Even if you did say have a problem with the AT or something else that required diag connected, so long as the chip has been removed without trace they'd likely just assume a faulty pressure regulator or commonrail pump wink.png

I've had one of my chipped cars connected to full diagnostics several times in order to track down a clunky down change, even at head office itself, and not once did anyone notice fuel pressure anomalies :D

Edited by IMHO

IMHO.Are you talking Oiler or Benzine. ? Oilers power comes in so low anyway ive never noticed much difference apart from exessive wheelspin.Had a Toyo Supra Turbo re Chipped 20 years ago and the difference was impressive due to the higher rev range and top speed i suppose. Why dont the Makers offer a Re Chip Service i wonder.?.coffee1.gif

That woud be like admitting their engine was less than acceptable. As you all know, diesel engines like to be under load, max if possible. If you're not changing the hair drier or the compression ratio, there is no way a new ECU will damage the engine. Chev would have a hard time in court proving a re-map caused engine failure. Anyway I don't really give a monkey's. I've got just over 200 Bhp and better fuel economy than stock. I hated the dead spot around 1800-2200 rpm in 6th which has gone now.

And yes as far as upper market SUV's goes the Trail Blazer is pretty junky in may areas but there's nothing else here around the same price which is any better, in fact worse. I'm looking forward to sneaks of the new Fortuner, if it's called that.

Boxster, the 1,800 - 2,200 rpm dead spot you mention is right around the 2.8L engine's torque peak according to Chev. The Trailblazer brochure shows a high ratio rear axle giving tall overall gearing in 6th (+60km/h / 1,000 rpm). That might be good for cruising noise & fuel efficiency but maybe it's too high for drive-ability and causing the flat spot you mention.

Prior to your performance chip, was the Trailblazer responsiveness in 6th better at any other engine speeds?

Did the performance chip make any difference to fuel economy?

just hope nobody ends up with an ex-chipped truck. as for engine performance from the factory, it's a compromise. more power = less miles. by the way, the more fuel gets injected, the more heat is being generated during the burn. a real tuning would take that into consideration too, but it wouldn't cost a few hundred bucks.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

• Like 1

Jitar, Thanks for your comments. I agree with you on the tall gear ratio for 6th and this is not helping on the dead spot issue. The tuning chip has helped but it's not completely gone. To note, the chip I have is fully programmable, I'm in discussions with the manufacturer and we may have a software upload to further refine it's performance, after all the Duramax is a new engine.

I am getting better fuel economy though, averaging 11.2km/l round town, sitting in traffic and idling at the grocery store etc. On a highway trip I get 12.5 or better.

Raffo77, my chip was GBP 500 that's US $765, I couldn't find anything more expensive or any better. Let me know if you can.

Hi Angiud

That's a very good question. For the same reason I chipped my CRF 250 and modified every car I have owned. It's a personnel thing but I have a hankering to get the best performance from any internal combustion engine. It's great that car manufacturers over-engineer their engines so we (I) can improve them.

Hi Angiud

That's a very good question. For the same reason I chipped my CRF 250 and modified every car I have owned. It's a personnel thing but I have a hankering to get the best performance from any internal combustion engine. It's great that car manufacturers over-engineer their engines so we (I) can improve them.

Nice reply witout being Rude, one to You Boxter.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

• 1 month later...

I just got my Black LTZ last week, and i love the car. I bought the LTZ, because the LTZ1 make absolute no sense...

The calculation is easy: The difference between LTZ and LTZ1 are 16" too 18" wheels and the Navigator touchscreen system. The navigator you can order after buy the car for 45000 Baht.

If you don't like the small 16" wheels, go to the next wheel dealer, choose the wheel that you like (i choose 22"). Got about 20.000 Baht for your original 16" wheels and you have a much better deal then the 75.000 baht 18" wheels from chevy.

Calculation: 100.000 baht price difference between LTZ<>LTZ1 minus 45.000 for the navi = 55.000 baht for 18" wheels from chevy plus the difference to the 16" which every dealer gave you 20.000 baht = 75.000 baht for the original wheels in 18" >>> A really bad deal.

For 75.000 Baht you will found MUCH MUCH more nice wheel, and even not only 18", for 18" probably you pay at a wheel dealer not more then 30.000 Baht, less the 20.000 Baht for the original one you pay only 10.000 baht for 18". So all together around 50-55.000 baht to upgrade from LTZ to LTZ1.

Safe you almost 50.000 baht and you have a free choose of wheels. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Giletto

I've got the LTZ1 (yeah pang I know) and I really need to ditch my 18" wheels, don't like them at all but I'm struggling to find anything I like. Most of the SUV wheels here have the centre piece missing which looks really naf. The wheel shop guy will try and tell you this is the racing style which is a complete load of &lt;deleted&gt;. I've just got back from my home country of NZ and there is awesome choice of proper mag wheels for the Trailblazer. Can you post a photo of your ride? I'm interested to see your wheel set.

Cheers

Boxy

BTW all you TB owners. I have fitted padded (real) leather to all the door arm rests and the centre consul. (total cost excluding the leather THB 800)The best mod I've ever done. It is so comfortable now and looks great. I also don't get static electricity build up from the rubbing on the hard plastic. It really has made a huge difference to my driving pleasure.

I drive 164km/day on the school run so you get to know all the faults with comfort. A big one still is the non telescoping steering wheel. I'm too far from the wheel which makes for tired arms. What was GM thinking?

.... I drive 164km/day on the school run so you get to know all the faults with comfort. A big one still is the non telescoping steering wheel. I'm too far from the wheel which makes for tired arms. What was GM thinking?

Isn't it more like, What were the 'Thai Regional Mgrs' of GM (Chevy or whatever), thinking? Isn't it the regional Jefe(s) who decide what to 'add-on' or to 'take-off' the corporate car model here? Compare the Middle East version of the Trailblazer with the version sold here. They treat the Thai auto market like an unloved step-child - a low scale market when compared to some other regions of the world.

Totally agree. It's also just about impossible to get hold of any of the Chevy managers here. I have many things to say to them. &lt;deleted&gt;! In NZ the TB meets International safety standards with side airbags etc why not here? Our our lives not worth as much? In NZ and Ozi the TB has the rear view camera in the rear view mirror as standard. Why not here, do the Thai's not reverse?

Different markets, different models. Developed or developing countries ;-)

Hey "Mr former Mu-7 owner"!

How do you like the drive train performance of your nice looking Trailblazer? Other than it being an automatic, have you noticed any differences in this area between the 2 SUVs?

Why you would chip your Trailblazer?

For me, more than enough power, and very economic in the fuel usage.

This coming from a native son of the land of the Ferrari?? whistling.gif

The Racechip in my Mu-7 gives it a little more power and allows it to run noticeably better (smoother). The fuel economy is still better than what most SUV owners have posted and I have the 4x4 model. Is there much difference in your fuel economy now compared to your Mu-7?

Hi Thailot. I find the economy of the Trailblazer better than MU7 in the highway (130 Kmh/2000rpm with the 6th gear) but MU7 slightly better in the mix drive (2to4th gear up and down in my island roads).

I love the 4 discs and independent rear gears, coming from the land of Ferrari,Maserati and Lamborghini I an not so much in love with the automatic gear. But useful for a quiet drive or in town. Smoother driving and better road holding, a bit noisy (same as MU7) and a little underpowered, but anyway enough for me. I could considerate to chip it...

After 25.000 Km in one year without any problem I can say I'm happy for a bit overpriced purchase...

Hi Thailot. I find the economy of the Trailblazer better than MU7 in the highway (130 Kmh/2000rpm with the 6th gear) but MU7 slightly better in the mix drive (2to4th gear up and down in my island roads).

I love the 4 discs and independent rear gears, coming from the land of Ferrari,Maserati and Lamborghini I an not so much in love with the automatic gear. But useful for a quiet drive or in town. Smoother driving and better road holding, a bit noisy (same as MU7) and a little underpowered, but anyway enough for me. I could considerate to chip it...

After 25.000 Km in one year without any problem I can say I'm happy for a bit overpriced purchase...

I like the look and practically all the mechanical upgrades of the Trailblazer but I was reluctant to leave the 'Tried and True' Isuzu 3.0L. sad.png Now, it looks like the long awaited '2014' Mu-7 is going to have the Trailblazer-look! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-TDkFHnGhg

(I believe I mentioned earlier?) that at the time I bought my SUV, I upgraded to rear disc brakes and larger 'discs' as well as added a set of Gooru shock absorbers and Yokohama Parada Spec-X performance tires. The ride quality (and stopping performance) greatly improved!

I have to get to a dealership to test drive a Trailblazer so I can get a 'definitive' comparison once and for all. I will be especially looking to feel how much better its 6-speed transmission is compared to the rather antiquated stock transmission I am stuck with! sad.png I hope to report back!