Rats Feeding On Trash Increase Disease Threat In Flooded Bangkok

webfact

They are literally begging for volunteer doctors right now too! I asked why the government has not supplied a doctor and the manager said they are all too busy out in the public areas trying to get in the media. "Stuck in a out of the way relief shelter is not so good for their publicity profile" he said with some bitterness. At first there were lots of volunteer doctors from private hospitals but now almost none, as time wears on people are getting tired and also frustrated with management of almost everything.

This has been driving me nuts about my Thai friends. They all go to Siriraj or whatever trendy place you're supposed to go to donate as dictated by Facebook. I see tons of pictures of people making peace signs and smiling after I'm sure they've loaded 5-10 sandbags or 20 relief bags. It's all photo ops for the internet. I've been dragging people out to Nonthaburi to places a little further out where they don't get as much coverage and where there are fewer perfectly clean Bangkok residents with amazing outfits and hairdos. I'd encourage anyone to do the same. Just jump on an Army truck at Rama V Bridge or Phra Nang Klao Bridge and get off at the nearest relief center.

Awesome idea well done:)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't the government agency on getting rid of rats taking any action to trash the rats? I saw a photo report on Bangkok Post showing a large group of rats getting to higher grounds and wonder if the agency in charge do anything about getting rid of those rats? I doubt anything done to control these rats. Now with the disease appearing linking to the rats urine, I hope the agency in charge has already taken action to rid the rats.

We need a Ministry of Rats.

Or maybe the Rat Authority of Thailand or "RAT" ,,, not to be confused with TAT.

One of chalerm's sons would fit this role. Watch this space.

Note that "King Rat" is already taken by James Clavell - well worth a read.

the blame game - many people seem to have forgotten that initially the flood was managed by the Bkk governor - a Democrat - until the govt took over after too many conflicting edicts.

secondly foreign aid workers - flood experts etc - complained that it appeared that certain majors and generals were trying to make political advantage out of the situation by deliberately ordering inappropriate actions.

the blame game - many people seem to have forgotten that initially the flood was managed by the Bkk governor - a Democrat - until the govt took over after too many conflicting edicts.

secondly foreign aid workers - flood experts etc - complained that it appeared that certain majors and generals were trying to make political advantage out of the situation by deliberately ordering inappropriate actions.

Brother Cowslip, you should not lose sight that a huge area was flooded before the flood waters even reached Bangkok. When you say "initially" surely you do not think that the Bkk Governor was managing the flood when it hit points north are you? Although I would agree with you that the Govt wasn't in control then either. By the time it hit Bangkok there was leadership chaos and the Bkk Gov was the only leader I saw who showed leadership ability. OK maybe he made some mistakes but I'd much rather have him looking after my interests than the central Govt and FROC.

Also I don't know which "foreign aid workers" you are listening to. It is clear to me from the aid workers and Thai volunteer groups that I know (and from your comments above I hazard to guess I know more of them than you do) that the image of the Army has improved quite a lot ... in some case 180 degrees with those who I know were previously rabid anti-military. Some of the people are former "leftists" (whatever that means) and Red Shirt supporters and are saying things like it's a "people's army". Now before you or someone puts words in my mouth, I'm not that idealistic anymore and I personally wouldn't go that far myself in describing the military here. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Thai Military has gained a lot of respect in the last couple of weeks.

Someone else said it on another thread .... don't listen to what people say ... look and see with your own eyes what they do.

THe aftermath of this flooding.

Rats etc are the visible aspect of this and have a particular horror for humans....they are just one aspect of what the future holds....

Let us not forget the less visible but equally deadly (or even more deadly) aspects.

Pollution and waterborne diseases.

A massive amount of water has washed through the Chaophraya river system carrying with it huge amounts of silk and waste - industrial and domestic.

Many toxic substances was well as sewage and garbage will be deposited all over Bkk and the environs and possibly even worse, washed into the already polluted Gulf of Siam.

THe effects on water and sea quality as yet seem to have been ignored....apart form a fixation with balls.......and the effects on fish populations, fresh and saltwater as well as tourism need to be considered.

...and of course Dengue.

Not to forget all forms of malaria and chikungunja and bilarziousis.

THere have been RATS in Bangkok for ever. Every time I walk through Bangkok I see RATS eating trash. So thats notjhing new.

what will be new is: They will in masses concentrate in the dry areas an after some time feed on EVERYTHING! Also there will be a massiv concentration of there'leftovers' in the dry areas. In molochs like Bangkok the population of rats should be about 10 rats to one person. That makes 120 000 000 Rats.

Someone else said it on another thread .... don't listen to what people say ... look and see with your own eyes what they do.

Yep, it is possible to change peoples opinions with words, but as the old saying goes "actions speak louder"

I have a much higher regard for the army than I did a few months ago ..... and a lower one of the police (if that was actually possible)

Brother Cowslip, you should not lose sight that a huge area was flooded before the flood waters even reached Bangkok. When you say "initially" surely you do not think that the Bkk Governor was managing the flood when it hit points north are you? Although I would agree with you that the Govt wasn't in control then either. By the time it hit Bangkok there was leadership chaos and the Bkk Gov was the only leader I saw who showed leadership ability. OK maybe he made some mistakes but I'd much rather have him looking after my interests than the central Govt and FROC.

Also I don't know which "foreign aid workers" you are listening to. It is clear to me from the aid workers and Thai volunteer groups that I know (and from your comments above I hazard to guess I know more of them than you do) that the image of the Army has improved quite a lot ... in some case 180 degrees with those who I know were previously rabid anti-military. Some of the people are former "leftists" (whatever that means) and Red Shirt supporters and are saying things like it's a "people's army". Now before you or someone puts words in my mouth, I'm not that idealistic anymore and I personally wouldn't go that far myself in describing the military here. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Thai Military has gained a lot of respect in the last couple of weeks.

I presume you're being facetious.

No ... not at all little brother.

Go ahead. Take your best shot.

Edited by rogerdee123

No ... not at all little brother.

Go ahead. Take your best shot.

...at what?

This OP is focusing on the rat problem but there is an equally if not bigger problem and that's the mosquitoes. In this stagnant water they are multiplying exponentially. This morning I went outside and thought I was going to get carried away by mosquitoes. This creates a whole different bag of worms. (no pun)

Edited by Markaew

This OP is focusing on the rat problem but there is an equally if not bigger problem and that's the mosquitoes. In this stagnant water they are multiplying exponentially. This morning I went outside and thought I was going to get carried away by mosquitoes. This creates a whole different bag of worms. (no pun)

This calls for more ghekos and frogs

:w00t:

As I said earlier, rats are not so much a cause as a symptom..

I also mentioned mozzies in the form of Dengue.

It is clear that there is a likelihood of any mosquito-borne disease to become more prevalent.

Furthermore any clean-up of Bkk is bound to incur the release for further chemical pollutant into an already overloaded river system.

....and after that there is preparation for theNEXT flood........it may not be so far behind.

Edited by cowslip

another facetious post?

I have to say your input seems unbelievably shallow.

Edited by cowslip

another facetious post?

I have to say your input seems unbelievably shallow.

Unlike the water.