University Lecturer To Sue Thai Govt For Mishandling Flood Crisis

webfact

Other constitutional monarchies have something called a Royal Commission, where an investigating judge or panel of qualified experts hold hearings to get to the truth. It works.

Unfortunately, in Thailand, just finding a qualified unbiased person, let alone three, would result in a political fight. The only way to get to the truth is have hearings chaired by neutral people. Good luck on that as the PTP would try to stack it with lapdogs and Democrats would push for PTP haters.

Not too sure what are you talking about. Why should the king be involved in this politics?

LOL. You really do not understand constitutional monarchies do you? The King is not involved. It is the appropriate term for a commission of enquiry in a country where there is a Sovereign. The commissioners usually are granted considerable power, usually more than that of a superior court judge,and are appointed by the "Crown". In Thailand, the PM has to be appointed by the King, It's the same technicality as one sees in Canada or the UK where the Queen. appoints the PM. The Crown creates the Royal Commission. As I recall, such a commission was responsible for the downfall of the Liberal government in Canada (Judge Gomery held the emquiry into the federal sponsorship "corruption" scandal). Australia had similar commissions on organized crime and issues of national interest. Royal Commissions work and deliver results. In Thailand where the Crown is held in high regard, I think it is the one method that could get to the truth of the flooding crisis. It is very difficult to get away with lying or politicking at this type of enquiry as the commissioner(s) are above politics and serve the Crown, not a political party.

good call! Thank you

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let the guy sue, it will probably be dragged out for years........and in the end I doubt it will affect me, or the people it may or may not be designed to compensate

But if it does, in some round about way, succeed in galvanising the government to improve the flood relief systems to the benefit of all...... fine

Edited by 473geo

let the guy sue, it will probably be dragged out for years........and in the end I doubt it will affect me, or the people it may or may not be designed to compensate

But if it does, in some round about way, succeed in galvanising the government to improve the flood relief systems to the benefit of all...... fine

Translation of this post: up to you, whatever ;)

Translation of this post: up to you, whatever ;)

In times of upheaval people do what they feel they have to in order to assist Rubl......yes up to him

the handling of the dam is a national security issue as most have found out by now. If there's a blocking of legal procedure in these cases a coup will be inevitable. I've heard that this would be a thorough clean-up then.

So speed it up, legal procedures I mean, and no tricks, Halloween is over.

A coup, with a thorough clean up? I suppose by that you mean imprisonment (or worse) of the elected government? That should really do Thailand a power of good!

Still, I suppose Abhisit and his mates will be riding in the last truck of the convoy as it rolls out of the barracks, should give the process some legitimacy, if only on this forum!

Does he really think that taxpayers' money will be better spent on lawsuites instead of rebuilding the country? :angry:

Well of course he does. He has so much free time on his hands, because he is not in his classes like he should be or he gets extra money from his students for their grades.

Maybe some of his students will follow his lead and sue him for his academic pperformance :whistling:

Why is that? Is there any evidence of poor performance in the classroom - please share.

He has rights as a citizen.

Or is this another example of your attitude to freedom of speech?

So don't his students have rights!!!!!

Does he really think that taxpayers' money will be better spent on lawsuites instead of rebuilding the country? :angry:

Every Thai I've spoken with over the past weeks have lamented at the lack of assistance of this government. They also have no doubt it would have been no better under Abbhisit. However, I wish this professor luck with this. Hey! maybe a win might scare the shit out of the government, of whatsoever colour/stripe, knowing that they just might be held responsible for their actions/inactions! Now that would be a novelty.

Gee are we blaming the floods on this government? If you were to check some of the government officials in non-elective posts sat back and did nothing to help when they should have just to discredit the new government. Abihsit and his cronnies could NOT have done anything better under these sircumstances. (spelling).

Maybe some of his students will follow his lead and sue him for his academic pperformance :whistling:

Cheap shot, unwarranted. You might not like him for his politics, but have no call to cast dispersions upon his pperformance (sic) as an academician.

1, I have not said he should be prevented from initiating litigation.'

2. I have not commented on his academic performance.

Read my statement again. The issue in Thai universities is that students have no recourse against a professor as there is no recognition of there being an obligation for the university and its employees to deliver on services that the students and government pay for i.e. a performance warranty. A student seeking to air his or her concerns about a professor's performance as an instructor would be crushed. It is hypocritical that a professor wishes to bring suit against the government, yet is part of a group that squashes and opposes the accountability found in universities that enjoy significantly better reputations and rankings.

To make my point more comprehensible for those that have not have the pleasure of dealing with some Thai academics; People in glass houses should not throw stones.

I like this!!! You are good!!!!

Interesting post, GK.

Obviously not intended to answer my question about his performance as an academician, which you called into question. Unless, perhaps, was it to say "I don't know the gentleman"?

Google him about his academic performance. You'll find nothing negative.

Just from reading all this, about the class action suit, this person who is a lecturer, and his past being in the spot light, sort of tells me he does not spend to much time with his students in class or with the students work. I mean most teachers have a lot of work just to track the performance of their students. This person seems to have a lot of free time on his hands. Maybe too much.

Perhaps they could sue their entire country and society to make them think, act, and do things differently. The politicians are a mirror of society

In theory that would be a good idea but would require non-corrupt judges. Not gonna happen.

Interesting post, GK.

Obviously not intended to answer my question about his performance as an academician, which you called into question. Unless, perhaps, was it to say "I don't know the gentleman"?

Google him about his academic performance. You'll find nothing negative.

Just from reading all this, about the class action suit, this person who is a lecturer, and his past being in the spot light, sort of tells me he does not spend to much time with his students in class or with the students work. I mean most teachers have a lot of work just to track the performance of their students. This person seems to have a lot of free time on his hands. Maybe too much.

"sort of tells me..." "seems to have..."

Sounds like idle conjecture to me... no facts.

Perhaps they could sue their entire country and society to make them think, act, and do things differently. The politicians are a mirror of society

In theory that would be a good idea but would require non-corrupt judges. Not gonna happen.

my comment was facetious

the issues do lie with any one segment, cheating and corruption are found at every level.

A little more about (and another perspective on) what the real story might be...

http://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpress.com/

To quote: " We couldn’t imagine much from Narong Phetprasert, a founder of the Fascist-like neo-nationalist movement a decade or more ago, being take seriously"... and it goes on.

Who is the "we"?

A solitary anonymous blogger.

and so it goes on...

Regardless of the person bringing this lawsuit any findings would be quoted and interpreted by the insurance industry. They will be the first to wriggle out of payments.

For example death and health cover

Assets cover

Loss of profits

which of these claims could be self inflicted, brought about by avoidable actions, the result of criminal activities..............

There is a bag of worms here that seems to have got lost in the usual way of blog sites, irrelevant diversions.