First House-Senate Session Turns Into Blame Game

Lite Beer

First House-Senate session turns into blame game

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

30169726-01.jpg

The first joint House-Senate debate on flood control Friday saw politicians indulging in slinging matches, though some provided suggestions as to how the impact of the ongoing floods could be mitigated and similar occurrences prevented.

In the debate, the opposition criticised the government and its Flood Relief Operation Centre (FROC) for failing to properly manage the crisis, while a Pheu Thai MP shot back by blaming Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra. Many senators, meanwhile, came up with some constructive suggestions.

The suggestions include adopting an integrated approach in water management, building of flood ways or another major river and adopting strict urban-planning rules that strictly separate agricultural, industrial, residential and water-catchment areas. A number of senators also encouraged the authorities to take water-management lessons from countries like the Netherlands as well as bring the internal political battles to an end.

Democrat MP Suthep Thuagsubhan led the attack against the government by pointing out its failure in explaining the severity of the situation to the public.

"They listen to [FROC] and they don't understand. There's no clear answer as to how many days the floods will remain. Nobody knows but you will have to talk with them," he said.

Suthep also criticised the government's slowness in setting up mobile kitchens to help flood-affected Bangkokians and warned that the food provided should meet certain standards. "The food must be of good quality. Bangkok people are picky about what they eat, they are not beggars."

He also urged the government to provide counselling, because Bangkokians "have limited patience".

Thepthai Senapong, another Democrat MP, said FROC had been put in the hands of the wrong people and the government favoured red-shirt politicians seeking relief goods.

However, the most controversial speaker was Jirayu Huangsab, Pheu Thai MP for Klong Sam Wa district. He accused the Bangkok governor for failing to take care of those affected in the outlying areas of the capital. Calling him a "shadow Bangkok governor", Jirayu said Sukhumbhand and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) did not care for people in far-flung areas like Klong Sam Wa, where people had to eventually take to the streets to force the opening of the sluice gate.

"The area has been flooded since October 2. Did BMA warn them that it is a water-catchment area so they would not buy houses there?" Jirayu said, adding that the governor should have visited the area much earlier. These attacks against the governor, who is a member of the Democrat Party, led to protests from the opposition, who pointed out that it was against House regulations to criticise someone who cannot defend himself in person.

Jirayu, who was attacked by Klong Sam Wa residents earlier for not caring for them, defended himself by saying that he only had two pick-up trucks and five staff members at his disposal.

Some senators, tired of the blame game between ruling-party MPs and the opposition, urged members of the House of Representatives to stop and concentrate on the task at hand. "I don't think today is the day to seek the wrongdoers," one senator said.

"Society will not benefit if the debate is based on political interests," Nakhon Si Thammarat senator Siriwat Kraisin warned, adding that Thailand is perhaps the only country in the world where canals and waterways can be filled up without any restrictions.

Some of the senators asked the government how prepared it was for possible flooding next year or the upcoming drought, while another asked if the authorities had any plans to deal with the polluted flood waters.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-11

Suthep also criticised the government's slowness in setting up mobile kitchens to help flood-affected Bangkokians and warned that the food provided should meet certain standards. "The food must be of good quality. Bangkok people are picky about what they eat, they are not beggars."
I agree in general the spirit behind his (Suthep's) speech except labeling Bangkokians more superior than the rest, food must reach safe standards for consumption - that's for sure. Secondly I think the Bangkok Governor has the most credit for protecting Bangkok, say what they will but he is the only reliable source of information when everything is blurry from the FROG©, in general PT needs a better leader and some new blood to replace irrational MP like Jirayu and minus away the Shinawatra factor.

I agree in general the spirit behind his (Suthep's) speech except labeling Bangkokians more superior than the rest, food must reach safe standards for consumption - that's for sure. Secondly I think the Bangkok Governor has the most credit for protecting Bangkok, say what they will but he is the only reliable source of information when everything is blurry from the FROG©, in general PT needs a better leader and some new blood to replace irrational MP like Jirayu and minus away the Shinawatra factor.

The problem is the Shinawatra party can't minus away Shinawatra.

Thaksin asked a lot good people for become Ministers and either they didn't want or they had own ideas and didn't want to be just Thaksins puppets.

so both PT problems can't be fixed.

No need to play blame game, there are obvious evidencesthat this government made the flood much worse that it could be by notreleasing the water from the dams on purpose and they have admitted this. So Senatejust need just go thru impeachment process and put a reasonable and capable government in place

Edited by givenall

Personally I feel they should concentrate on fixing the problem before they start the blame game.

Could have been worse the army could have just sat it out and pointed fingers instead they took the good for Thailand and went to work. They didn't sit on the side lines pointing fingers.

Kinda explains why the Shinawatra's don't like them.

Nakhon Si Thammarat senator Siriwat Kraisin warned, adding that Thailand is perhaps the only country in the world where canals and waterways can be filled up without any restrictions.

I feel a new hub coming on.

Did anyone expect a different display, this is what happens when greedy individuals with the wit an intellect of a five year old are in charge of the classroom.

Don't worry about who's to blame at the moment. Get the country back in order, then start playing the blame game.

I full faith that anyone found to not have done their job properly will be held responsible. Right?

This thread is so empty there are echo like the halls of the Thai Parliment.

Edited by MaxYakov

As usual...Nobody takes responsibility and just goes after tackling the problem...It's always someone else's fault

Of course, Thailand is a country where it is more important to save face that it is to admit wrong

It is more convenient to blame someone else

All I ever see from this Government is them getting in front of the camera for a nice photo op

Thailand will always be a banana republic

As usual...Nobody takes responsibility and just goes after tackling the problem...It's always someone else's fault

Of course, Thailand is a country where it is more important to save face that it is to admit wrong

It is more convenient to blame someone else

All I ever see from this Government is them getting in front of the camera for a nice photo op

Thailand will always be a banana republic

Yeah Lew...it happens all over the world but yes...alot over here and its ridiculous how much people put up with it and live this way

(...Parenthesis mine) Abhisit backs group set to sue the govt: "I appeal for the government to stop politicising issues."(...unless the opposition can define politicising parameters). "They keepblaming the BMA, when in fact, they should work together to help the people."(...and help us destabilize the existing government by allowing us time to makethe arguments we can win, and avoid the ones we cannot even address). "This is not the time to get involved ina political conflict." (...our army of lawyers are not ready yet, and makingthe people understand this mess is due, in large part, to previous governments makesus look bad altogether.) "The government should stop playing politicalgames if they want to win public confidence," he said. (...and we want ourpower and prestige back yesterday).

That being said, there are lots of slices of turd pie that should be served to both the government and opposition, with piss ice cream and a floodwater frappe on the side.

(...Parenthesis mine) Abhisit backs group set to sue the govt: "I appeal for the government to stop politicising issues."(...unless the opposition can define politicising parameters). "They keepblaming the BMA, when in fact, they should work together to help the people."(...and help us destabilize the existing government by allowing us time to makethe arguments we can win, and avoid the ones we cannot even address). "This is not the time to get involved ina political conflict." (...our army of lawyers are not ready yet, and makingthe people understand this mess is due, in large part, to previous governments makesus look bad altogether.) "The government should stop playing politicalgames if they want to win public confidence," he said. (...and we want ourpower and prestige back yesterday).

That being said, there are lots of slices of turd pie that should be served to both the government and opposition, with piss ice cream and a floodwater frappe on the side.

I missed where it said that Abhisit backed the group suing the government. Where does it say that?

edit: found it.

Edited by whybother

Payap later revealed to the press that Thaksin had indeed told him to calm down because it could hurt relations with coalition partner Chart Thai Pattana

Sadly, as coalition partners pay more attention to mending their relations, the poor public continues suffering[

Posted 2011-10-06 06:20:34

The suffering continues as politicians play game

As was posted elsewhere this administration does not have a mind of its own . It's Thaksin running the show, no-one else.

P.T.P. = Personal Thaksin Property.

All the little minions and the bigger social rejects have been bought and paid for by Thaksin who gives not a monkeys fart for the country but expects the country to roll over on its back for him and his family and their odious brown nosing acolytes.

Edited by metisdead

The Ratchaprasong crisis was one created by Thaksin/UDD/PTP alliance, and afterwards they banged on for months in parliament about the govt's failures. This was a man made crisis, the govt certainly did fail in some respects and deserve to be grilled in parliament. Will the Dems bang on about it for months or will they do their job more honourably as opposition and then get to work on the recovery in their constituencies.

1321023615[/url]' post='4840320']

I don't see it saying Bangkokians are superior. It does say they are picky, or discerning in what they eat. Most people are, so don't treat them like they can't tell quality food from bad. It doesn't say they have hauty attitudes, just that they are not beggars. You are reading in to this things that are not implied.