Airport Closed At Night For Loy Kratong?

davevi

Anyone know about lanterns, commercial airplanes, and airport closures?

Thursday night (10NOV) I didn't see or hear any planes take off or land from CNX (I guess I could be wrong about this...)

So I thought they'd closed the airport because of all 1000s of Loy Kratong kites in the air. With planning I guess this wouldn't be too difficult, but then I think of special flights that only come in on Thursday nights (Korea to Chiang Mai).

Now again tonight Friday (11NOV) I have heard and seen 1 plane tonight.

Anyone know how they handle this? It cannot be safe to take a plane off with all those lanterns in the air. But tonight I am sure I heard a commercial airplane take off over my house.

I live near the mountain and planes either take off or land over my house, and when everything is in the other direction I have a direct view to other direction of the runway.

Thanks.

Yes, indeed. Air space closed to all traffic but I can't actually find the official notices, but its probably in Thai anyway. blink.gif

Doesn't look like it. Saw a few fly over head out toward Hang Dong earlier this evening. One just went over 1 minute ago (9:30 PM) heading South East as I was standing out the back of my house.

Yes, indeed. Air space closed to all traffic but I can't actually find the official notices, but its probably in Thai anyway. blink.gif

Doesn't look like it. Saw a few fly over head out toward Hang Dong earlier this evening. One just went over 1 minute ago (9:30 PM) heading South East as I was standing out the back of my house.

UFO spotted over Hand Dong! I stand corrected!

I flew in from BKK last Weds night and landed at 21.00 at CNX.... and I did think about those lanterns and wondered do they really pose a threat?

Any commercial jet pilots on here to comment? A modern powerful jet engine that they fire frozen chickens at to test?! Could a sky lantern have an affect on a modern plane?