Removal Of Don Muang Airport Big Bag Barriers Draws Condemnation

Lite Beer

R @Kang_NT: Dr Anon of FROC's drainage team urges Don Muang residents to be patient

Arrrggghhh.........Same s_hit, another day...."be patient"......

Perhaps Dr Anon should put his head the black filthy stinky water, take a bucket full home and throw it over his curtains and carpet - he like many Don Muang residents just may, just may form another opinion !

Edited by whatawonderfulday

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure but the water was getting black and stagnant there. It was not moving. I can understand them really well. They were being sacrificed for others and will get a mere 5k compensation just like everyone else.

Guys, I have heard somesthing from our locals: the compensation is offered for BANGKOK ONLY.

Rangsit/Saimai/Lamlukka is Pathumthani, BanBuaThong is Nonthaburi etc....not "inner" Bkk.

They keep saying that many families from "greater, but not inner Bkk" was already rejected for compensation.

Locals gettin' really mad here about this all. That's why.

It gets worse. The following was put up in today's Thailand Live thread:

TR @Diaw_NBC: To get flood compensation (Bt5,000), u need ID card, household registration document and (if u have) pics of flooded home.If u live in apartments or condos but yr floors aren't flooded, u r not qualified for compensation./via@tulsathit

So. . . if you didn't manage to break out the digital camera before the floodwaters went down in your house, then you're out of luck. BTW, as everyone should have expected, the housebook requirement means that virtually only Thais need apply. But for 5000? Most foreigners probably don't care anyway. Before the government is through with them, even average Thai victims will have spent more time doing paperwork and standing in line than the 5000 is worth in terms of hours worked. What an insult!

I'm in Pak Kret, and took the big trucks / boat to my place. There is a big sign at the transfer point for applying to the 5000 compensation. This is not in BKK, but is Nonthaburi. I doubt the boaties give a hoot about 5000 baht as I reckon they are each pulling 10K a day - this is at 100 baht a head.

Have they done this already? Anything to get the water out of my area, great!

Yeah Lets share the Pain, and destroy more lives and properties

Noooo. Let's someone keep getting your fate just to keep your arse comfortable dry - and without the chance of ANY compensation...this is what you saying.

Ok, I;ll hold your part of water. Will you come after, and repair my house from your own pocket money? What? No?

The chat is over then.

Just for the record; My home is in Rangsit Klong 2 and under water, god knows by how much. So i pay for you and you pay for me!!!!

If removing the bag will help drain the water more effectively without effecting larger groups of the population then great but if even the slightest reason for removing the bag is fear of residents tearing it down .. that is foolish. I am not one to easily slam Thais but it is beyond my comprehension what they allow "groups" to get away with ... be it red shirts during the siege of Bangkok or these morons breaking down water barriers ... worse the morons in charge of public safety who are allowing this.

If removing the bag will help drain the water more effectively without effecting larger groups of the population then great but if even the slightest reason for removing the bag is fear of residents tearing it down .. that is foolish. I am not one to easily slam Thais but it is beyond my comprehension what they allow "groups" to get away with ... be it red shirts during the siege of Bangkok or these morons breaking down water barriers ... worse the morons in charge of public safety who are allowing this.

There are humans living outside the big bags zone too, not just Buffalo.

This is just another case of the attitude that most have had to deal with since the floods began.Just because one area is flooded they (government and private citizens) feel that any area unaffected must also be flooded, why ? Instead of diverting/ solving flood problems officials pander to the mob and more people get inundated.So many areas have been sacrificed for the perceived saving of others areas we have to learn that in this situation some will suffer more than others, lets hope rationality prevails and reason wins out.

(and before I get trolled, I am under water myself in the west of the city I chose not to flee, maybe not my BEST choice)

Edited by dumpling

The rights and wrongs are not for me but opening the sandbags has an impact on other people

But keeping that has an impact to others (who already got too much, ans still getting daily)

who should have.a chance to prepare.

4 months passed now for the whole soap water opera.

1 month for those on the wet side. Include me.

If they not prepared YET - then they deserve this. Im sorry, but ANYTHING to move this wet shit from my house!!! :annoyed:

They are STILL not prepared...how pathetic. Im going to cry to the cameras.

FYI, those on dry areas not preparing at all - they are playing LoiKratong for example. They simply don't care this all.

your 100% right we live in a dry red area and no one gives a shit about BKK and actually most absolutely hate BKK and its people I certainly hope theirs a large number of red areas affected so they can see what a awful mistake they made allowing this bunch of clowns into office Here reds are still saying its dems fault whistling.gif

There are humans living outside the big bags zone too, not just Buffalo.

Disproving by having them tearing down the walls...

Big bag barrier took a week to built, with enormous investment of resources,

but at the end of the day a few locals with no knowledge whatsoever are allowed to destroy it,

cheered on by their local vote buyer, while the police is looking from a distance (if they showed up at all).

The total lack of law and order is interesting to observe.

When confronting a mob, the police only do anything if ordered all the way from the top.

I except something like that tomorrow, when Yingluck wakes up

(she may get called by other vote buyers, those from the many more districts below the barrier).

By the way, my soi in Laksi is floaded 1.2 meter for 2 weeks now.

Move 1km to the West, to Pak Kret district, and things are "dry as a bone" (hate that expression),

thanks to a barrier along Klong Prapa cannal built by the local government.

Do I want to destroy it "to get the water moving"?

No, I am happy that those people and houses survived the flood.

Making them suffer as well will not reverse the damage to my property.

In case you hadn't noticed yet dear Nisa, the main lunatics in this asylum retreated to a back room days ago, fervently intent on making the best excuses possible, the 'not so important' lunatics are still there having <deleted> moments and trying to crowbar in their opinions while at the same time trying to crowbar out any responsibility, everyone else, well, it's just me me me.

The MP encouraging the removal of the barrier is demonstrating democracy at its worst, by acting on the wishes of his constituents. Technically, that is what he is there for. The governor of Bangkok did the same thing by not allowing gates to be opened weeks ago. One is PTP, one is Democrat. Both were not considering the needs of the nation as a whole. This is where the PM and the national government must put their foot down, hard. If the barriers benefit the nation as a whole then anyone trying to bring them down must be dealt with accordingly. I don't care what political party they support.

There is a hestitancy in Thailand to act until it is too late. We saw it with the airport occupation, the Bangkok redshirt protests, last year's floods in the south and now with these floods. It seems to be a preference to dither. Some would say this is the Thai preference for "consensus", but I disagree. They just can't get the concept of a measured response. Thai authorities always act in extremes. it is either a "crackdown" or nothing. It is either a brutal respression or nothing. This mentality cuts across political lines and includes the military. I suspect the hesitancy is a fear of public insurrection. However, the continual caving in to mobs only further encourages mob actions. One need only look at how protests work in Phuket with taxis/tuk tuks blocking roads with no response from the provincial authorities. Until they grasp the need for consistency, its going to be more of the same. No one has the backbone to stand up to the mobs, whether they are yellow, red, black or whatever. If and when there is a response, its always bloddy and too late.

I am sorry is people are suffering, but Bangkok must be protected, even if the suffering of those outside the barriers must continue. Bangkok is too important to the nation.

Big bag barrier took a week to built, with enormous investment of resources,

but at the end of the day a few locals with no knowledge whatsoever are allowed to destroy it,

cheered on by their local vote buyer, while the police is looking from a distance (if they showed up at all).

When confronting a mob, the police only do anything if ordered all the way from the top.

I except something like that tomorrow, when Yingluck wakes up

(she may get called by other vote buyers, those from the many more districts below the barrier).

By the way, my soi in Laksi is floaded 1.2 meter for 2 weeks now.

Move 1km to the West, to Pak Kret district, and things are "dry as a bone" (hate that expression),

thanks to a barrier along Klong Prapa cannal built by the local government.

Do I want to destroy it "to get the water moving"?

No, I am happy that those people and houses survived the flood.

Making them suffer as well will not reverse the damage to my property.

Same same as Berlin Wall.

Belin Wall took a week to built, with enormous investment of resources,

but at the end of the day a few locals with no knowledge whatsoever are allowed to destroy it, ....

When confronting a mob, the police only do anything if ordered all the way from the top. ...

That's the key - amazing what Thailand allows by way of civil disorder, and just excuse it away. Naturally, paving the way for more civil disorder. Why not, if they goy away with it so can I? Let's use one vivid example of gross civil anarchy and government and military powerless to provide its own security. The airport closing for almost two weeks late Nov/Dec 2008. A substantial characteristic of a "failed state." It's not a few sand bags moved, it's the idea that a small group takes ownership of country policy. Right or wrong, that policy is the policy. The government's failure to secure it is but another example of the small group anarchy and lawlessness that renders the Thai government, of any color, inconsequential and powerless.

IMO I cannot blame the residents on DM from wanting to tear down the big bag wall

If my house was flooded and the was no light at the end of the tunnel, I wold be pissed

Losing everything and only be eligible for 5K compensation would really suck

If they were smart, the would take this into account during the next election, the should

vote against the party that help destroy everything they have and own

My question wold be, is the water level being blocked by the big bags actually going down at all?

or is it at the same level??

If the water level is not going down, there comes a point in time when the water must

be allowed thru an run it's natural course. Let the water flow as the water sees fit

The sitting water is and will become a breeding ground for disease, this cold cause

untold harm and worse.

Let the water flow

That's the key - amazing what Thailand allows by way of civil disorder, and just excuse it away. Naturally, paving the way for more civil disorder. Why not, if they goy away with it so can I? Let's use one vivid example of gross civil anarchy and government and military powerless to provide its own security. The airport closing for almost two weeks late Nov/Dec 2008. A substantial characteristic of a "failed state." It's not a few sand bags moved, it's the idea that a small group takes ownership of country policy. Right or wrong, that policy is the policy. The government's failure to secure it is but another example of the small group anarchy and lawlessness that renders the Thai government, of any color, inconsequential and powerless.

clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Exactly! How many times do we hear it is okay to do because they did it. That seemed to be the entire talking point during the last great civil unrest. It was said so much that I started to wonder if that was the sole reason people took to the street ... because they did it before.

The MP encouraging the removal of the barrier is demonstrating democracy at its worst, by acting on the wishes of his constituents. Technically, that is what he is there for. The governor of Bangkok did the same thing by not allowing gates to be opened weeks ago. One is PTP, one is Democrat. Both were not considering the needs of the nation as a whole. This is where the PM and the national government must put their foot down, hard. If the barriers benefit the nation as a whole then anyone trying to bring them down must be dealt with accordingly. I don't care what political party they support.

There is a hestitancy in Thailand to act until it is too late. We saw it with the airport occupation, the Bangkok redshirt protests, last year's floods in the south and now with these floods. It seems to be a preference to dither. Some would say this is the Thai preference for "consensus", but I disagree. They just can't get the concept of a measured response. Thai authorities always act in extremes. it is either a "crackdown" or nothing. It is either a brutal respression or nothing. This mentality cuts across political lines and includes the military. I suspect the hesitancy is a fear of public insurrection. However, the continual caving in to mobs only further encourages mob actions. One need only look at how protests work in Phuket with taxis/tuk tuks blocking roads with no response from the provincial authorities. Until they grasp the need for consistency, its going to be more of the same. No one has the backbone to stand up to the mobs, whether they are yellow, red, black or whatever. If and when there is a response, its always bloddy and too late.

I am sorry is people are suffering, but Bangkok must be protected, even if the suffering of those outside the barriers must continue. Bangkok is too important to the nation.

I agree with most of this, except that the gates where opened (by a mob) one day and did the level of water go down in the residents' areas ?

NO !

Even if one would fill all malls of Bangkok with water, the level of water in the suburbs would not recede ...

What is needed, especially from educated people, is calm and efficiency, and not stirring up stupid violence !

My question wold be, is the water level being blocked by the big bags actually going down at all?

or is it at the same level??

If the water level is not going down, there comes a point in time when the water must

be allowed thru an run it's natural course. Let the water flow as the water sees fit

The sitting water is and will become a breeding ground for disease, this cold cause

untold harm and worse.

Let the water flow

Last I heard it was actually going down on both sides.

It is absolutely ridiculous to believe you should let an entire city flood because that is how the water wants to flow. Every government in the world would do its best to limit the destruction by sacrificing less populated and critical areas. These people are idiots who want to tear down water barriers. All it will accomplish is making others suffer too and when the floods are gone it will take considerably longer for them to receive assistance and they will receive considerably less funds and resources because they will have to be allocated elsewhere and in many cases these people will fall lowest in the priority list in terms of where attention will be given after the floods.

Will Yingluck punish Karun for leading the tearing down of the bags, against her order and pretending he did so with her blessing, or will he continue to go around doing whatever he wants without any consequences?

In an incident not directly related to Karun's mob dismantling the dam walls, but a young man was arrested yesterday for punching Karun in the mouth which required suturing on Thursday.

His complaint was that Karun was running a jet ski at a high speed which sent big waves that swamped the small rescue boat he and others were riding in.

In an ensuing argument, he admitted to smacking Karun.

The young man has been charged with assault and released.

Edited by Buchholz

Gyus, could someone do me a favour and point me to the map of this BigBagBarrier please? Thai maps also OK.

I want to know its exact location and shape.

I have googled a bit but found nothing good enough. Thanks.

http://maps.google.fr/maps/ms?msid=203278216882407399461.0004af623e23c9dccde11&msa=0&ll=13.906408,100.630302&spn=0.275272,0.527687

Bkk gov concerned abt safety of big bags, asks police to help ensure public don't destroy, could face 3mnths jail/6k fine. /TANN

Hopefully Karun will be spending a few months in jail. Not likely though. :angry:

If his mouth hadn't been busted up, the prone-to-violence Red Shirt Leader would probably be laughing out loud at the pronouncement.