Place I Can Find Really Fast Internet For 1-Hour Business Call?

DocHolliday2006

Hi.

I'm in CM, and need to do an important business conference call via skype in a few days. It's on west coast time US, so it's actually at 12:30 a.m. here.

My apartment internet is periodically slow, and I don't trust it to be functioning.

Is there any place in CM where I can pay to rent really fast internet for an hour so late/early in a day?

If the answer is no, then I could resort to using a phone.

Anyone know if the line in my apartment is likely to be a decent rate? I don't feel like paying an arm and a leg for an hour.

Any advice welcome.

Use your mobile and keep Skype as backup option. I think it's only a few baht / minute to the USA. Ask at your provider what prefix to dial to get a good rate, call customer service for example, they can tell you.

I do that sometimes when Skype isn't good enough, it's not expensive.

Other than that there is probably some Internet cafes still open.

Just buy a Zay Hi card at the Post Office. It is only 35-45 satang per minute to call the USA. You call a number in BKK for 5 seconds, hang-up, and the automated system calls you right back. So you only pay for a 1 minute call to BKK and then 35-45 satang per minute. Quality beats the pants off any Internet-based call.

Yes; also, Internet cafe's are the noisiest places on Earth, after Formula 1 circuits. I just wouldn't bother with those.

( And, get better Internet; if you can't even do (voice) Skype then you're stuck in the wrong millennium. Nothing beats your own home when it comes to peace & quiet for a call. )

You can use it from any phone?

Like a random provider hooked up to my furnished apartment I've never used before?

Easy to use for a non Thai speaker?

Just buy a Zay Hi card at the Post Office. It is only 35-45 satang per minute to call the USA. You call a number in BKK for 5 seconds, hang-up, and the automated system calls you right back. So you only pay for a 1 minute call to BKK and then 35-45 satang per minute. Quality beats the pants off any Internet-based call.

No cell phone.

Use your mobile and keep Skype as backup option. I think it's only a few baht / minute to the USA. Ask at your provider what prefix to dial to get a good rate, call customer service for example, they can tell you.

No cell phone.

You don't have a cell phone? Or don't want to use it? anyway landline works the same. Prefix was 001 or 006 at some point but that's so long ago it might not be true anymore.

I don't know the Zai Hi card but I've used many calling cards in the past, and the quality varies. Sometimes it was good, but quite often really bad - at times worse than a bad Skype connection. They're routed over IP, obviously, and the cheaper they are the greater the chance they're bad.

Which one to choose depends on whether the main consideration is price or quality of service.

You can use it from any phone?

Like a random provider hooked up to my furnished apartment I've never used before?

Easy to use for a non Thai speaker?

Yes of course; from any phone. It's a calling card. Not sure what your onto about a furnished apartment or what that has to do with making a phone call...When the system calls you back the first thing it says is "push x for Thai or push x for English". Very simple. I've been using Zay Hi for maybe 2 years or more now almost every week to call Europe, the U.K., USA, etc. Works great. I never use a mobile but you can use it with a mobile as well.

Edited by elektrified