Fishing At Koh Chang

gray42

I'm heading to Koh Chang for a few days and want to go out on a fishing boat. I went on a couple "fishing tours" on Koh Samui and Koh Tao and didn't catch anything over 5 inches. At least on Koh Tao they were trying for big fish. On Samui they were TARGETING the babies. Anyway, I heard fishing can be good at times on Koh Chang and I heard especially the night fishing is productive. Do any of you have any recommendations for fishing boat services? I'm hoping to pay no more than 1,000 baht per person, but from what I'm seeing it's more like 1,300 each.

Also what types of fish are most common? Is regular mono OK or should I start tying some wire leaders? Do they typically use live bait or cut bait?

Thanks for any info...

No idea about fishing on Koh Chang. (Haven't been there since '92)

Obviously depends what you are after, but I am having best luck using heavy flouro leaders these days. I am fishing for 2-3 kg jacks in the Andaman from a sea kayak, so not going after the big stuff.

There will probably be better info than mine around here.

No idea about fishing on Koh Chang. (Haven't been there since '92)

Obviously depends what you are after, but I am having best luck using heavy flouro leaders these days. I am fishing for 2-3 kg jacks in the Andaman from a sea kayak, so not going after the big stuff.

There will probably be better info than mine around here.

Thanks koknia. Fished on Koh Chang from a private boat (not a join trip) and managed a 1kg snapper. Not what I was hoping for, but at least I caught something. I think I'll be relocating to the Andaman side in a couple months. Not having a boat and relying on these fishing "tours" is really getting to me. I don't even care about the big game fish. I just want some decent ocean fishing. 2-3kg jacks sound fun. Are you using live bait, lures, jigs...?