Copyright, Bars, Bib And Discs

Mae Nam bar owners were in a flap again last week as the BIB swooped into the bars and restaurants looking specifically for music CDs. It appears to me that music CDs are now in some way illegal. Memory sticks with MP3s and hard drives stuffed full of songs were ignored, as were computers. This is what I've been told in only three bars but it leads me to think it was across the board.

Anyone know what this is really all about?

The response I've been given was "copyright". Which makes no sense at all to me if only CDs were the culprits - actual original music CDs were removed along with home-burned compilations - and the fake copies of Windows running on all the computers were ignored (in the 3 bars I went in), as were the contents of the drives.

I probably haven't got the full picture and am confused. Can someone in the know explain it all to me? :blink:

Rob

Did any of the Bars visited have the police red box outside?

If they did this is the proceedure, phone the local cops when the CD police are annoying you and tell them that if your to be fined

by the CD mafia, then unfortunately as times are so quiet you will be unable to fill their envelope for the next few months.

it worked with my pals Bar about 2 years ago and the CD mafia have not been back since.

tea money collection?

Easy answer, Boaty! :rolleyes:

Anyone actually know?

R

Unfortunalty the easiest answer probably is the answer. The only people that know are the police.

I know that sometimes they crack down on specfic things on Samui which confusses allot of people.

For example you can drive 6 days a week with no helmet then u get nicked.

If u drive without a helmet in Surat u shall get nicked straight away,

Samui has its own way of policing things.

Sometimes they set up check points very randomly and only check for drink driving.

Some people drive drunk and stop at policeman maybe 100 days of the year then 1 day they get nicked and get conffueed.

Like jumping a red light every day and never getting stopped then one day you do get stopped and fined.

the truth is that everything that is illegal is illegal it is just up to the police when they decide to enforce the rules.

They did a crack down on fake windows about 1 year ago. even done hotels.

So be carefull if u r braking the law. U may thinbk you are getting away with it but just rememeber the law is the law and just because people get away with it 99 per cent of the time right under policemans noses. It only takes one time for them to nick someone.

Allot of people to get too relaxed over here and that is their biggest mistake.

Edited by BigC

tea money collection?

Easy answer, Boaty! :rolleyes:

Anyone actually know?

R

oops = more than 3 lines from Big C (Big Cahones? crisis? crisps? crunchybits?) I detect beer. (Usually spelled by large Tesco as "burpy: but we got it.)

Unfortunalty the easiest answer probably is the answer. The only people that know are the police.

I know that sometimes they crack down on specfic things on Samui which confusses allot of people.

For example you can drive 6 days a week with no helmet then u get nicked.

If u drive without a helmet in Surat u shall get nicked straight away,

Samui has its own way of policing things.

Sometimes they set up check points very randomly and only check for drink driving.

Some people drive drunk and stop at policeman maybe 100 days of the year then 1 day they get nicked and get conffueed.

Like jumping a red light every day and never getting stopped then one day you do get stopped and fined.

the truth is that everything that is illegal is illegal it is just up to the police when they decide to enforce the rules.

They did a crack down on fake windows about 1 year ago. even done hotels.

So be carefull if u r braking the law. U may thinbk you are getting away with it but just rememeber the law is the law and just because people get away with it 99 per cent of the time right under policemans noses. It only takes one time for them to nick someone.

Allot of people to get too relaxed over here and that is their biggest mistake.

15 lines and makes a lot of sense.

Ta Big Tesco . . . looks like beer is good after all.

R

Edited by robsamui

can you tell me where on the island do genuine windows and how much please

Only way to be sure is to buy from Microsft via the internet with UR card.

Chum got done after spending $50 in Phantip on a 'real' copy.

Inet. Msoft. Pay with card. (Try with PayPal cos you got quick comeback if messy.)

R

Edited by robsamui

I purchased my windows XP professional at the time direct from Microsoft. They are supplied via Singapore & arrive within 2-3 days.

Cost from memory around Bht 5,000.

If they did this is the proceedure, phone the local cops when the CD police are annoying you and tell them that if your to be fined

by the CD mafia, then unfortunately as times are so quiet you will be unable to fill their envelope for the next few months.

it worked with my pals Bar about 2 years ago and the CD mafia have not been back since.

I went to check today and all 3 had red boxes.

(Let's get a tourist with a camcorder to slap a vid of this up on YouTube - free drinks if U keep phonecam open.)

Might get to be entertaining.....

R

(Wow pee Sombat UR famous! Vid of you on UTube ripping off farangs! WOW! Gonna call my mum.....)

Edited by robsamui

I purchased my windows XP professional at the time direct from Microsoft. They are supplied via Singapore & arrive within 2-3 days.

Corroborated (woss I said also).

R

Edited by robsamui

CEC and Banana IT sell legal copies. Windows 7 cost me 6,000 baht - I loaded it myself as sometimes these buxxers use the crack versions (complete with trojans). All registered with Microsoft after purchase on the island.

Sorry - forgot to say - all between Makro and the traffic lights by the junction to the lake road.

I also have details of a very good IT guy who will sell you a legal copy and upgrade for you. PM me if you want his number. (Yes I have used his services and he is good.)

Edited by Tropicalevo

(Let's get a tourist with a camcorder to slap a vid of this up on YouTube - free drinks if U keep phonecam open.)

R

(Wow pee Sombat UR famous! Vid of you on UTube ripping off farangs! WOW! Gonna call my mum.....)

Always heard about the police checking for music licences, but never really heard of them just confiscating CD's . Perhaps these owners didn't have a current licence.

"With a disk on which has a hologram, such are promises

All lies and jests

Still a man buys what he wants to buy

And disregards the rest.

Na na naaa na na na naaaaa n n na na naaaaaa. (chorus)

(2nd verse)

... then cries out in his his anger and his shame ...

"I got software, I got software"

But the copy still remains

On his hard drive, on his hard drive, but the copy still remains

Na na naaa na na na naaaaa n n na na naaaaaa."

(With apologies to Funkle Simon and Rooo and with particular reference to kegan.)

Time for bed now.

R

Edited by robsamui

Back to OP.

I cannot speak 100% on music CD's, but from time to time, there is a crackdown on copyright infringement on the island (and other tourist areas in Thailand).

This is prompted by our friends in the US who regularly have a go at Thailand about this. So - they target tourist areas and close everyone down to investigate and confiscate. (It makes them look good in the press).

Earlier this year a few of the computer places closed up temporarily (about a week) as there was a clamp down on illegal software. The police only seem to hit the 'out of the way' places.

Just an observation. (Token gesture perhaps?)

Edited by Tropicalevo

Back to OP.

I cannot speak 100% on music CD's, but from time to time, there is a crackdown on copyright infringement on the island (and other tourist areas in Thailand).

This is prompted by our friends in the US who regularly have a go at Thailand about this. So - they target tourist areas and close everyone down to investigate and confiscate. (It makes them look good in the press).

Earlier this year a few of the computer places closed up temporarily (about a week) as there was a clamp down on illegal software. The police only seem to hit the 'out of the way' places.

Mnnnn. this is what I'm hearing everywhere.

But still nobody seems to know

1) what the BIB are up to and

2) why they hit CDs only and not hard drives or thumbdrives.

(Unless the average nong BIB can't be trusted to recognise a hard drive from a soft durian.)

(Oh - I think I just answered my own question!)

R

Edited by robsamui

R

Always heard about the police checking for music licences, but never really heard of them just confiscating CD's . Perhaps these owners didn't have a current licence.

These are 3 of the biggest bars in Mae Nam. Most surprised if they are not fully papered-up I know 2 of them are for certain . . .

R

Back to OP.

Mnnnn. this is what I'm hearing everywhere.

But still nobody seems to know

1) what the BIB are up to and

2) why they hit CDs only and not hard drives or thumbdrives.

(Unless the average nong BIB can't be trusted to recognise a hard drive from a soft durian.)

(Oh - I think I just answered my own question!)

R

Ah! Replying to myself - it's why you can put a bucket on UR head when hitting a helmet checkpoint and not get stopped.

I think I understand now . . .

(I must look for something on head . . . I must look for something on head . . .I must look for something on head . . . blow whistle blow whistle when have nothing on head . . . :boring: )

(I must take CD from bar - I must take CD from bar . . .)

Personally I blame it on so many memorised antique legends and songs when they were at school. I mean - proper boys having to mince about about like ladyboys chanting songs and dancing . . . utterly brain destroying and un-manly. Not surprising they all want to dress up in skin-tight brown catsuits with big boots. (And that's only the boys.)

Now, if they had to actually make up songs for themselves ...

... then we'd be back in Europe again. :crying:

Thank God for Thailand.

:D

R

Edited by robsamui

Inet. Msoft. Pay with card. (Try with PayPal cos you got quick comeback if messy.)

R

Using Windows without a valid licence is not a police matter. :)

Even so, how would anyone know as to whether you have a valid licence of not?

Part of the problem is the particular flavour of OS and the way it is activated that gives the game away. Since most people use the same version of pirated software, it's relatively easy to make an educated guess and then to scare the living daylights out of the possible offender.

For instance, everyone would use XP Professional with a stolen Volume Licence. Easy to spot. Office 2007 Enterprise. Again, easy to spot.

But with a little savvy, there is no way that they can pull such a scam on you and make it stick.

R

Part of the problem is the particular flavour of OS and the way it is activated that gives the game away. Since most people use the same version of pirated software, it's relatively easy to make an educated guess and then to scare the living daylights out of the possible offender.

For instance, everyone would use XP Professional with a stolen Volume Licence. Easy to spot. Office 2007 Enterprise. Again, easy to spot.

But with a little savvy, there is no way that they can pull such a scam on you and make it stick.

The raid 1 or 2 years ago, was not by the local BIB, nor was it the first time. These were people from Microsoft accompanied by some heavies from intellectual property department & licencing department. It was not solely aimed at Samui.They visited many areas & several companies , hotels etc......

R

The raid 1 or 2 years ago, was not by the local BIB, nor was it the first time. These were people from Microsoft accompanied by some heavies from intellectual property department & licencing department. It was not solely aimed at Samui.They visited many areas & several companies , hotels etc......

Perhaps. Though there are/were many claiming to be from such and such, but it was just a scam.

Even so, the people who get caught out are the one who are using stolen VLK. Activate you machines in another way and they can go whistle.

Perhaps. Though there are/were many claiming to be from such and such, but it was just a scam.

Even so, the people who get caught out are the one who are using stolen VLK. Activate you machines in another way and they can go whistle.

The scams started after the initial Legal raids, they just cashed in.

i am going to open a bar and call it the copy write bar and the one next to it call it the counter super fit bar. if someone beats me to it then i shall sue you for copy writng my copywrite bar and counter fitting my counter fit bar