Stick Vs Auto

Thaiboxer

Hi Folks...glad to see we now have a forum dedicated just to motoring :o

I'm curious; which type of transmission do you car drivers prefer and why?

I prefer a stick. Once I learned how to drive a stick back in the States I've always preferred them over autos. Stick shift cars sell for less than automatics. They offer better acceleration and mileage along with a longer life (usually). A car which uses a manual transmission can be easily jumped started if there is a hill nearby or if you can push it quick enough. A stick can make you feel closer to the car when you're driving. Also, if the transmission goes bad on you sticks are cheaper to repair. The downsides are that they don't hold their value as well as automatics do and many find them troublesome in traffic jams.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer driving a stick. Learned how to drive with one, and every car/truck I have ever owned has been a stick. Now looking for a vehicle here in Thailand and no doubt it will be an automatic – because my wife can not drive a stick.

I like them for most of the same reasons Thaiboxer mentioned.

Plus I feel more in control with a stick. Easier to drop it down a gear to pass, and I choose when to drop it down – no lag like many automatics when you mash the gas. In addition where I lived in The States we got our fair share of snow, and I much prefer driving a stick in the snow/ice – again more control IMHO.

Also I like to drive, and driving a stick seem to add to the experience – makes you feel you are more a part of what is going on.

And of course if your car has the balls you can chirp the tires in a couple of gears rather than just when taking off.

It depends on what you're driving.!

Whats the point of having an auto box on a small car. In my opinion, auto boxes are for the nice comfortable big motors. BMW, Merc, etc?

Manual boxes are for small cars or, for fun in good cars.

redrus :o

post-16343-1132401316.jpg

Hi Folks...glad to see we now have a forum dedicated just to motoring :o

I prefer a stick. Once I learned how to drive a stick back in the States I've always preferred them over autos. Stick shift cars sell for less than automatics. They offer better acceleration and mileage along with a longer life (usually). A car which uses a manual transmission can be easily jumped started if there is a hill nearby or if you can push it quick enough. A stick can make you feel closer to the car when you're driving. Also, if the transmission goes bad on you sticks are cheaper to repair. The downsides are that they don't hold their value as well as automatics do and many find them troublesome in traffic jams.

Most of the reasons you like a stick is why I do not . I tend to have a lead foot so the quick acceleration keeps me in check ( a bit )

I do not need to feel closer to my truck . There are to many things happening on the roads in Thailand for me to worry what gear im in . Like driving on the wrong ## ing side of the road . There is nothing worse than being stuck between two cars on a up ramp in a mulit level car park with a stick shift . When im in mud in Issan I can always shift my " auto " into a lower gear . Also , you can get a leg cramp in traffic jams ....no fun .

No , I have no use for a manual transmission .

Just my 2 bahts worth .

Though I learned to drive on a stick...and all of my cars until 1977 were stick...I now much prefer auto. However, my current cars...Mercedes...have the optional manual gear change choices via up and down buttons just under my fingertips. But, 99% of the time I select the auto function. Using auto in BKK is easier. Going back to an only stick option would be like opting out of air conditioning and seeking only an AM (medium band) radio as my sole audio accessory.

One of the things which often kills automatics is when the driver develops the infamous "lead foot" syndrome and really hammers on the gas. Automatics will drop into the next lowest gear before accelerating up through the previous gear and into the next highest gear. This is often the case where a light suddenly changes to green and the driver had been slowing down while it was still red. If you're careful not to accelerate that way with an auto, it will last A LOT longer. Sticks of course will allow you to select the best gear to correspond with the car's speed.

One poster mentioned the leg cramps which can develop while using a stick in traffic. Since traffic often stands still for several minutes I simply slip the transmission into neutral and rest my left foot while lightly holding down the break pedal with my right foot. On flat ground, I rest both feet.

With regards to being caught while going up a ramp in a parking garage, a stick can be a real bummer as another poster stated. On steep ramps, I've often relied on the handbrake between the front seats when traffic was stalled.

My father raced cars for about 25 years as a hobby and one thing I learned from him was to NEVER slip the transmission into neutral and coast up to a red light from a distance. If some bonehead cuts you off you'll have no power to get out of the way if braking is not an option. There are a lot of boneheads on the roads over here unfortunately. Makes South Florida look civilized :o

Speaking of automatics, the Dodge Caravans have a reputation for chewing up automatic transmissions like bubble gum. Some people in the US have put three transmissions in their Caravans within 100,000 miles. My father, who was a salesman for many years, used Caravans for his work. He experiencd only a minor transmission leak on one of them which the dealer promptly fixed. The others ran OK. Just goes to show that if you take decent care of a vehicle, even a poorly designed one can last a long time.

Other than weak transmissions and the occassional faulty windshield wipers, Dodge Caravans are a pleasure to drive.

I hate automatics but have had serious problems getting a manul car in Thailand - seems the dealers stock up on Automatics

In my opinion automatics are for old men and girls!!

If you look around you can still find an old Isuzu truck with manual. Of course you won't find any girls who will want to ride with you....unless you have airconditioning.

Edited by corkscrew

I enjoy both , I am a very keen driver and have owned over 50 cars in my limited years. Certain cars suit an auto mode , for example I owned a Merc C43 , a very quick mid sized car , with a fantastic auto box , or an E36 M3 that could only suit a manual ( stick ) transmission.

A decent auto box ( BM/Merc/Audi/Jag) will have a semi manual option if you have withdrawal symptons. :D

On one occasion I owned 2 versions of the same model of car ( Toyota SZ Supra TT ) one with stick and one with paddle shift. They both have great attributes.

You get more feedback with the manual , but the auto is a more relaxed drive , still produced 0 -60 in under 5 seconds , but without the hard work involved.

If the car is lacking in power and size I would always plump for the manual. But if you have a 6 litre Jag , then auto is the only way to go.

:o

Edited by chonabot

I've always preferred stick (manual) transmission for the miniscule increase in fuel economy. However, driving in Thailand demands 100% of one's attention be focused on the road so over here it's gotta be an automatic.

I've always enjoyed the art of driving, especially back home in Europe...

However here in Thailand, an automatic box is shear luxury....

There is so little time to enjoy driving, over here it is just a mode to go from point A to point B!

In Thailand, give me an automatic gear anytime...

I hate automatics but have had serious problems getting a manul car in Thailand - seems the dealers stock up on Automatics

U have serious problems getting a manual car in Thailand? Seems to me manual(stick) is standard here :o

I learned to drive on a manual . But I prefer an auto , more concentration on the road...smoother ride . Ever hear the term cruiser?

Embarrsed to say after so long driving autos I still do a few bunny hops and aviod hill starts like the plague .

I reckon the funnist thing is watching a manual driving switching to auto. The hand goes on the column every auto gear change .

U have serious problems getting a manual car in Thailand? Seems to me manual(stick) is standard here :o

I learned to drive on a manual . But I prefer an auto , more concentration on the road...smoother ride . Ever hear the term cruiser?

Embarrsed to say after so long driving autos I still do a few bunny hops and aviod hill starts like the plague .

I reckon the funnist thing is watching a manual driving switching to auto. The hand goes on the column every auto gear change .

From what i have seen Automatics are very strong in Thailand - i am being quoted a 6 month wait time for a manual Honda

Up country standard transmissions are the rule rather than the exception. Even among the Honda Civics only one on the dealer's lot was an automatic. You will find it quite difficult to find a pickup with an automatic. All the Honda Jazz were manuals. In Bangkok it is just the opposite.

I also found it odd that after going to two motorcycle dealers that neither had an electric start bike. My wife's new Suzuki 125 was not available except on special order with an electric starter.

From what i have seen Automatics are very strong in Thailand - i am being quoted a 6 month wait time for a manual Honda

That's interesting; especially when you see so many vehicles (including vans) with manual transmissions. I've always felt that manuals were more popular over here than autos. In the States, autos seem to have been the norm for years. Perhaps that trend is now picking up here in Thailand.

With traffic being as bad as it is in Bangkok, I can see how many folks would want autos. When I looked at the Toyota Vios some months back an automatic was 70,000 baht more than a stick...quite a difference!

I prefer manaul transmission, although I have a civic with an auto box here simply because of the heavy traffic.

I don't believe driving a car with manual transmission requires anymore concentration than an auto....and I've never had a problem with hill starts either, in fact personally I feel I can do them better than in my current auto car. In fact I dislike it so much I'm changing it for a Mazda 3 with the option to switch to "manual" mode, hoping this will take away my fraustrations of the auto box shifting up or down when I don't want it too.....especially mid corner at speed. doubt the pickup will be any better though...still as I spend most of the time at a standstill listening to the radio I think its probably the best option for bkk traffic :o

I prefer manaul transmission, although I have a civic with an auto box here simply because of the heavy traffic.

I don't believe driving a car with manual transmission requires anymore concentration than an auto....and I've never had a problem with hill starts either, in fact personally I feel I can do them better than in my current auto car. In fact I dislike it so much I'm changing it for a Mazda 3 with the option to switch to "manual" mode, hoping this will take away my fraustrations of the auto box shifting up or down when I don't want it too.....especially mid corner at speed. doubt the pickup will be any better though...still as I spend most of the time at a standstill listening to the radio I think its probably the best option for bkk traffic  :o

The new top of the line 2006 Honda Civics now have F1 style paddle shift, believe it is called autotronic. It allows you to drive fully auto or semi-manual, that is shift but no clutch used. Seems the best of both worlds. I'm going to look at one soon.

If you drive a stick shift in BKK you will be lucky to get 30,000 kms out of your clutch, and you will develop huge muscles on your left leg... :o

Seriously though, with the amount of attention you have to pay to what's going on around you, you are much better off in BKK with an automatic transmission.

Other cities/provinces... manual gearbox is fine. :D

If you drive a stick shift in BKK you will be lucky to get 30,000 kms out of your clutch, and you will develop huge muscles on your left leg...

My clutch has a lot more than 30,000km on it and it's still going strong. The extra muscles on the left leg wouldn't be so bad :o

What I do in standstill traffic is simply shift into neutral and hold the brake lightly. On flat ground I rest both feet.

I don't believe driving a car with manual transmission requires anymore concentration than an auto....and I've never had a problem with hill starts either, in fact personally I feel I can do them better than in my current auto car. In fact I dislike it so much I'm changing it for a Mazda 3 with the option to switch to "manual" mode, hoping this will take away my fraustrations of the auto box shifting up or down when I don't want it too.....especially mid corner at speed. doubt the pickup will be any better though...still as I spend most of the time at a standstill listening to the radio I think its probably the best option for bkk traffic  :o

The new top of the line 2006 Honda Civics now have F1 style paddle shift, believe it is called autotronic. It allows you to drive fully auto or semi-manual, that is shift but no clutch used. Seems the best of both worlds. I'm going to look at one soon.

Yeah but just look at it, its a horrible looking motor. And then you have the PlayStation dashboard, looks funky now but I'm sure anyone owning one will soon get fed up with it :D

The new top of the line 2006 Honda Civics now have F1 style paddle shift, believe it is called autotronic.

Yeah but just look at it, its a horrible looking motor. And then you have the PlayStation dashboard, looks funky now but I'm sure anyone owning one will soon get fed up with it :o

Not sure why you think that, compared to the current model it is a big improvement. Also I like the display. I have a heads-up LCD display projecting the digital speed and I would really miss that. This is the next best thing to keep one's head out of the cockpit. Plus the 155hp engine matches the performance in my car, the other thing I want to keep.

post-566-1132570683_thumb.jpg

post-566-1132570733_thumb.jpg

I learned to drive on manual cars, and enjoy them more than autos.

I drive a manual in Bangkok on a daily basis. over 40,000km on the clock and the clutch is still okay, and my right and left legs are roughly the same size. I have driven auto cars in Bangkok too, and in some ways it did allow me to think less about the driving, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Sometimes I wish there was no such thing as auto boxes as I watch someone talking on a cellphone, reading a paper and watching TV while pulling out of a side lane and maneuvering across 3 lanes of traffic.

I enjoy driving, and want to be involved in the process of moving the car from A to B as much as possible. I'll resist automatic driving aids as long as possible. Although it's only a matter of time before cars are safer drivers that we are and we'll be banned for good, and the machines will take over. Until then I'll enjoy my manual gearbox.

By the way, modern clutches are very very light. Leg cramp shouldn't be a problem unless you're in very bad shape. And when stuck for more than a few minutes, you can also knock it out of gear, engage your hand brake and relax.

I also think the cost savings of a manual are worth considering.

Perhaps this should have been a poll?

I agree that it does depend on the car. For a more sporty involved type of drive it's a manual (stick) every time. For more relaxed, and with a larger car, type of drive, an auto every time. However, I have had an auto box that could be used in manual mode and this was ideal for all situations. In the UK autos seem to depreciate quicker as manual is the preferred option even if the car cost more as an auto. To my surprise, my new VW Beetle cost £1000 more with auto! So I happily chose a manual.

I agree that it does depend on the car. For a more sporty involved type of drive it's a manual (stick) every time. For more relaxed, and with a larger car, type of drive, an auto every time.

You're right about that...it would seem kind of funny to have a big, luxury car with a stick shift in it although it might be fun to drive :o However, even with auto transmissions those luxury cars in the US (Lincoln, Buick, etc) have big engines in them and can go pretty quick. Too bad most American cars don't have near the reliability of the Japanese and European models, plus many of them are simply too big for Thailand.

Here's a dream car project: Get one of the old 230 Mercedes (80's era) with a good body/suspension, etc then drop a 3.0 liter, turbo charged pickup engine in it with a manual transmission. You would have a strong body, the reliability of a diesel with easily available parts, and plenty of speed. So many of the cars they build today are too easily damaged by minor crashes; not like those old tanks they made 20 years ago. They don't build them like they used to.